Homeschool starter

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
Hi, I was in here a while back, things in life have been pretty ruff. Anyway, I had some questions

I have a 14,almost 15yr old boy that was SUPPOSED to be in9th grade this yr, but he was misserable in school and his grades we straight F's and they were still going to pass him. So I pulled him out and started to homeschool. I had to take him back three grade levels. He is okay with this and is learning quickly and I want him caught up as soon as possible, BUT I dont want to rush him. He has ADHD. I wish I would have started this homeschooling yrs ago, because he is SO smart, just needs to be ON him for keeping focused. Anyway, I wanted to know how you know they have "passed the grade when they are this old?" I know most of you have small ones, which I will be homeschooling a littleo one eventually, he is 4 months right now, A LITTLE soon,lol. He is in diffrent grade levels in all his subjects just about, I had to go back to5/6th English,and reteach cursiveMy oldest son doesnt know how to write either!! Ugh computers sometimes,sorry. Anyway he is in 7th grade Science and I took him to 6th grade SS, because I am incorperating God intohis studies, and it made since in the BJU History to take him back that far so he could understand. He got through 5th grade in 2 months,.PLUS, it is SO hard to know what level they are at until you take them further back than needed to know what they REALLY know. Poor guy.Gosh I am writting a book!
Okay, Do you make out a yr worth of work? What happens when they Just dont "get it?" do you rewrite your schedule? I am excited AND overwhelmed. I want todo this RIGHT for him. Thanks a bunch, and if you have any other pointers, PLEASE let me in on them!!

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
May 17th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We officially use age-mate grades. It's just easier. Even my parents did that when I was also taking some college classes. The kids, however, go at their own pace and I don't really care exactly what grade they are in since they are both different in different subjects. We use a curriculum so we could say when we finish that they move up a grade, but even that isn't so simple because what we use (Sonlight) isn't grade-based and both my older two use the same core even though they are not in the same grade levels for LA/Math. I'd say he's passed a grade when he successfully completes the requirements, whether that is in 2 months or 2 years.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree that it's easier just to say he's in 9th grade even if you are doing some 6th grade work. Homeschoolers tend to work at different levels for different subjects so it can be hard to pin down an exact grade level. It's your choice of course. You're the teacher now, so it's up to you.

But the more time you spend homeschooling and talking to other hs parents, reading through lots of curriculum catalogs, learning about your state requirements, etc.. you will probably figure out what he's already covered and what still needs to be covered in order to finish high school. If he is hoping to go to college, you will probably want to find out what their requirements are so you can be sure he will meet those.

As for handwriting, I'm not surprised. My oldest did public school until 4th grade and handwriting is just not something they focus on. They'd rather they can type than write legibly I suppose. Very annoying. I had to reteach cursive too.

Good luck and congrats on your new little one. :-)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 17th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Nedene's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Although my children are still young i'd like to add my ....

I'd just call him 9th grade unless there is a huge issue with your states requirements. Maybe have him school year round and just take breaks through out the year, So he gets a break until you feel he's up to the level you'd like, if he even wants to slow down once you get there. And Being adhd myself I can understand the being board and then flying threw something quickly once given the chance and understanding it.. I Personally would stop wanting to learn something if it wasn't given quick enough to me, at a speed i wanted, Which in ps they tend to take forever to do soemthing so everyone is at the same stedy pace. I got board and gave up trying also... And the whole cursive thing... I'm an adult and I cannot write in cursive, nore can i read much of it... It was something that was touched on and then we were sat infront of a computer and told to type up everything so it was easier for a teacher to read... it's something i'm teaching myself now..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search