TOTAL rookie here needing help/suggestions, please!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2009, 01:52 PM
jmichelle77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jmichelle77
Hi ladies! I am Jill (31) and DH is Joe (31) and we have one DS who just turned 12 years old. I am a co-host for the TTCw/PCOS board and I also actively participate in the TTCw/MA board. I apologize in advance for how long this will probably get. LOL!

DH and I are SERIOUSLY considering home schooling for DS. We just feel like the public school system is totally failing DS and only see's him as a dollar sign walking around the hallways and a blank slate to be trained to a "governmental" belief system. One of my final straws was a few months ago.... I have always had to sign permission slips for EVERY movie he's watched at school.....Madagascar, Brother Bear, and various other Disney (type) movies. Well, a few months ago DS came home from school and told me they are watching "An Inconvenient Truth". Where was the permission slip for that?!?!? Not that I am against taking care of our environment, etc.....it's just a pretty big political stance to take with our VERY IMPRESSIONABLE children without asking the parents permission FIRST. (In case you are curious....yes, I would have granted permission....but I would have been more prepared for his questions when he came home from watching it.)

DS is very intelligent and is "bored" by school. I totally beleive that if he was "challenged"....he would be bringing home straight A's. But instead he brings home B's and C's because he rushes thru work so that he can read (a much higher grade level book). DS is also very artistically motivated. He is AMAZING when it comes to music. Hand him an instrument and he will start playing any song you name. He loves to draw and cook, etc. Public school does not foster these skills.

A few other reasons we are considering home schooling so strongly are that we are TTC #2 and with the HUGE age gap in the first place.....we feel if DS is away at school all day long and then off with his friends evenings and weekends that he will have NO opportunity to bond with his new brother(s) or sister(s). And lastly, DH just graduated with his RN, BSN and after he completes his year of acute care experience, we are thinking strongly of doing travel nursing for a few years. We think it would be an AMAZING opportunity for DS to experience first hand so much of the United States. But it would also make "traditional school" extremely difficult with all the bouncing around.

Ok, if I haven't lost you yet.....LOL!.....here are my questions:

1) Is it possible to home school when both parents work outside the home? DS is VERY mature for his age! He is VERY capable of being given a set of tasks in the AM and having them completed by the time we come home. We would spend the evenings explaining, going over, checking, etc. his work with him. I will only be working for approx. one more year and then I will be home full time. But we don't want to wait until we are traveling to begin home schooling as we think that is too many asjustments for him at once. We would like him to be used to home schooling before we begin traveling.

2) Are there any good, AFFORDABLE, self-directed, on-line curriculums?? Our thought was.....we would have DS work on a 7th grade curriculum over this summer. (He would be entering 7th in PS next year). If he is making significant progress thru the course work by the time next school years starts, then we would be able to justify not enrolling him in PS for 7th and allow him to continue with home schooling.

Thank you so so so much if you have hung in here with me thru all this! LOL! I would IMMENSLY appreciate any thoughts, feedback, suggestions you all have to offer me!

May 17th, 2009, 05:18 PM
4boys
I think homeschooling would be an awesome thing for your family, for all the reasons you listed. I think your son sounds like a prime candidate to really excel if given the opportunity and I believe homeschooling does just that. I can also identify with wanting your older son to have a relationship with his future sibling(s). My oldest and youngest are 6 years apart and if my oldest was away at school all day, I don't think he would have the relationship he does with the baby. He adores him and I love seeing that.

As for your questions, yes I think it is possible for you to homeschool with both parents working because it sounds like you know your son is capable of working on his own.

I really don't know much about online curriculums so I will let others with more knowledge answer that question, but I'm sure they must be out there!

I just want to say welcome to the board and good luck with your decisions! It does sound like the right thing to do for your son and your family.
May 18th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Sounds like homeschooling would work for you guys and you certainly have thought out the reasons for it.

I know people who homeschool and both parents work. Usually at least one of their schedules is quite flexible. So I know that can work.

I have no idea about affordable on-line curricula.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 18th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Veteran
Time4learning.com is cheap but it only goes up to 8th grade and it may be behind depending on your area.
Oak Meadow has an online curriculum but it's expensive.

You said he likes to read you may want to look into a lit. based curriculum.

You may want to find out if there's a homeschooling group he can participate in also. They may have band.
May 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Thank you so much for your replies, ladies. We are very nervous and just pray that we are making the right decision for him. He is very excited about the idea.

May 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree - it sounds like homeschooling would be great for your family! I would be cautious about online programs though. Make sure the one you choose isn't going to be like public at home. Something you can customize would probably be better. As for affordability, I completely understand about needing to stay within a budget but if you can consider the cost of private school. Most homeschool curriculums will be reasonable compared to that. And you will want a quality curriculum especially since he will be working independently.

Veritas Press has a new(er) online program that looks great. Very challenging and interesting looking. They are even offering some summer classes at a lower cost. Maybe something to try out?

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 20th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Thank you so much! This is all so overwhelming to me!! LOL! I am having a hard time trying to figure out where to begin!

May 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any experience in online/virtual schools...but I think you guys could do it without that.

I am so excited to hear what you do.

What kinds of things have you looked into?

May 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
janaleigh's Avatar Member
I think he could totally do home schooling and love it too. We love the flexibilty it gives our family. We have 2 boys ages 15 and 17.

I would suggest reading So You're thinking About Homeschooling by Lisa Whelchel. It will give you a good overview of different types of home schooling and it's a quick read. Another great book is Genius Denied...it sounds like he's gifted and this is a great book about giftedness and some information about homeschooling.

I think online schooling is a good option for some kids but you have so many other options that would provide him with a richer education. Our favorite has been Sonlight. Each days assignments and reading is all spelled out for you for the whole school year. Even if you are not interested in the bible part-the other curriculum can be used separately and it's quite a quality program.

For writing I would recommend Excellence in Writing -Continuation Coruse A. It's a DVD based writing program-Excellent, although you will need to grade his papers but that is all explained in the program. If I can teach writing using this program-anyone can...I'm more of a math minded mom.

All the best to you,
Jana
http://www.homeschooljungle.com
Orange County, CA

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search