will writing catch?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Veteran
Doing a page of pentime a day is NOT working for us. It takes hours and he fights tooth and nail. I don't think he has the hand control he drops his pencil every 3 to 4 min. (I don't feel it's purposely) and is always surprised and jumps when it happens. He hates working with his hands. Honestly I don't feel like fighting this because I don't want a hatred for writing to be fostered. He reads all the time. Will he pick up writing on his own as long as I encourage it?
May 20th, 2009, 07:22 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
I am really not sure. What if you had him do one LINE a day...or 1/2 a page? I would think that if he is struggling that much, then practice is what he needs...maybe he just needs it in smaller doses?
May 20th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
He'll probably catch on. He's still pretty young and boys tend to develop writing abilities later rather than sooner. If you are concerned, though, about him dropping the pencil so much, you might want to mention it to his doctor.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 20th, 2009, 10:22 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Lurking here. If you don't mind the mess and want to work on letters without a pencil, you can try shaving cream. (You can even do this in the tub and it cleans great!) You can also let him write it in a pan of dry rice. He may have more fun and he is still practicing the skills.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
May 21st, 2009, 04:32 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I would back off. Do some the things suggested above. Even if you only get one word out of him a day that is still progress. In the mean time see if he likes practicing typing.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 21st, 2009, 08:23 AM
Veteran
As of right now he doesn't even want to see the pentime book and honestly that's okay with me. I would like to get through pentime 2 before deciding whether to get 3 for this coming up year. I'm not comfortable moving to cursive when I really can't read his print if it's not in the pentime. I'll try half a page.

Should I be concerned with him dropping his pencil? I just figured after a minute or two he forgot what he was doing so it takes a little to fall out of his hand.

We tried rice and shaving cream it was to much for him but I found him burying a scooter in the sand the other day so I think it may be time to try rice or sand again.

He seems to write more but worse on his own. Typing is always an option for him maybe typing one day, sand practice the next, pentime third, and creative writing fourth day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search