Your suggestions please..

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 21st, 2009, 07:17 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, my name is Megan I'm 26 and my husband is 27, we have 3 kids. Our two youngest are 2 and 3 years old. They are in daycare, I've just finished my schooling as a massage therapist and haven't started working yet. So thats a bit about me....

OK, my son is 6 and is just finishing Kindergarden. He is extreamly hyperactive, he is diagnosed with ADHD and is on meds for it. He had a very tough year in public school this year because of his hyperactivity. He visits with a behavioural counselor,and she believes that he is just to smart and bored in school. She commented on his use of big words and how she thinks he'd probably be way above his grade level if he was able to be in the 'gifted' programs, but she knows they wouldn't allow it because the schools are just focusing on his hyperactivity.

So my thought was maybe home schooling, but I don't know if I have it in me to do it. How did you know you were able to do it? Where would I even start, and how do I know what curriculum/program to use? We are not of a christian faith, so I'd like to steer clear of any programs that are heavy on religion.

Thanks for any and all advice

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 21st, 2009, 09:13 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just knew I was going to do it. I am that way, though. If I set my mind to something I go with it. I also felt very strongly about my reasons why. Now 6 years later I can say that there are plenty of HARD days and plenty of EASY, Blissful, days. I think every mama can do this. You will want to take it one day at a time. You are the best teacher for your child. Find books to read over the summer about homeschooling. John Holt has some good ones.

I found out my laws and then I made sure to comply with those.

Curriculum was easy, I talked to family members that homeschooled, and friends. By first I knew what I wanted and I bought it. We did a very light kinder with our first son that I put together all on my own.

I never had a hard time picking what I wanted so the other ladies here will be of more help.

I am so glad your here!

I think you have a neat student to teach and it would do so much for him!

May 22nd, 2009, 04:00 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I just knew I would. There was never a question or even a thought of can I. To figure out what curriculum to use see if there's a curriculum fair in your area sometime soon, request catalogs from publishers, and, most of all, look at your son and see how he learns best. I'm going to guess it will involve lots of movement and not much sitting at a desk writing.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 22nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It can be tough to weed through all the christian curriculums but there are plenty of secular curriculums out there too. One you might like is Oak Meadow. Even if you don't find a secular program you like, don't despair. Programs like Sonlight, which are christian based, can be used secularly. We've done that and it's not hard at all to leave out the parts about religion. You can substitute it with your own religious teachings if you like or just leave it out all together.

Homeschooling is just an extension of your parenting. You already teach them every day. Think of all they have already learned from you. :-)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Veteran
Quote:
How did you know you were able to do it?
I use to take comfort in the statistics. NCES has adult literacy at 8-9th grade and most college students have to take remedial math courses so about basic algebra. There was a 29% to over 50% drop out rate in US in 2008 depending where you live. So as long as he knew basic math and he could read well he'd be fine. Now I take comfort in the fact he loves learning.

Here's your state laws. You may want to check out inclusive home school groups in your area (anywhere that is about 1 or less) and area museums for classes and other things. They would have tons of area information and the how's into making the state laws more practical. HERI I believe is in your area even though it's Florida based. You may find most of the homeschooling activities are in the closest city.

What does your son enjoy doing? find a curriculum that suits that. Honestly as far as secular and non-secular curriculum goes. I would find the type of curriculum you like and then find a secular source.
May 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you all for the info!! You all are a great resource!

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 22nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
janaleigh's Avatar Member
I would suggest reading Genius Denied...it's a fantastic book about giftedness. And it has some info about home schooling too. I would suggest Sonlight also...there is a yahoo support group for families who use it without the religious books. It's a wonderful literature rich curriculum. I have 2 sons ages 15 and 17 and after using Sonlight for over 7 years, we stikk love it!
http://www.homeschooljungle.com
Orange County, CA

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search