Starter Books?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Hi! I'm Joanna and my husband and I are seriously considering homeschooling our son. He's almost a year old now, and I want to be prepared for when he's ready to get into some serious school work. Are there any books you can recommend that I read to get prepared to home school? I know absolutely nothing about homeschooling so far, so I'd like to get a handle on different methods and get a general idea of what I need to learn before I start homeschooling him (and other future children).

Thanks!

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
May 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There are a lot of good ones on the topic. I say go to your local library and check out all the homeschooling books. Read them all. Why not? You've got lots of time and you will learn a lot by reading about all the different ways to homeschool. :-)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
4boys
I agree ^^. The more you read now, the better prepared you will be! Welcome to the board!

ETA: Some suggestions might be: The Well Trained Mind (classical education), something about Charlotte Mason (The Original Homeschooling Series or others) and when I had little ones I read So You are Thinking about Homeschooling by Lisa Welchel. That one gave me insight as to a typical day and the many different ways and methods schooling can be done.

Last edited by 4boys; May 22nd, 2009 at 11:26 AM.
May 22nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read the ones at the library, ones I buy off of half.com for cheap, and the ones I find used here and there.

I really liked John Holts books and one titled "The Underground History of an American Education" or something like that. Half.com / Books / The Underground History of American Education: A School Teacher's Intimate Investigation of the Problem of Modern Schooli Ng

Your baby is so sweet!

May 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I agree. Read all of them from the library.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 22nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh...and chat with us alot!

May 22nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
The awsome thing about homeschooling is you can make your childs education whatever you want it to be. Start doing what you think he should learn, and what he is interested. You dont have to conform to public schools curriculum. Its hard to break away mentally from that, but once you do homeschooling is a breeze.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search