Letterboxing/Geocaching?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Regular
Hi all!

Just wondering if anybody else has done this before:Big Grin:.

We were just recently introduced to letterboxing and geocaching by some homeschool friends. We went with a group to a local park today and had so much fun doing this!

Basically, with both letterboxing and geocaching people hide something (usually a plastic, watertight container) and then leave clues or coordinates to find it. Just in the park we were at today there were 6 or 7 letterboxes/geocaches available to find! The directions will usually say if it's difficult or easy to find and what the terrain is like.

With letterboxing there is a pad and a stamp with the letterbox you find and you bring your own stamp and pad along with you as well. Then you stamp the stamp from the letterbox into your pad along with any notes you'd like to add and put your stamp in the pad in the letterbox. Letterboxing uses clues/directions (we even had one that was written in verse) to find the letterbox.

With geocaching you need to have either a GPS or the nifty iPod geocaching app. Usually a geocache find is a small container (a film containter, etc..) with paper inside for you to sign.

The fun is really in the search and of course you can leave your own letterboxes/geocaches for others to find as well.

Here's the main letterboxing sight if you're interested in learning more!

Letterboxing North America
May 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We love caching! I have never been letterboxing. Glad your enjoying it.

May 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love geocaching!! We actually just started a few months ago and we really have alot of fun getting out and doing it. Our kids are a bit young to truely understand and enjoy it yet, but they still have fun finding the cache's that have little toys inside. lol They have started to understand that if they want a small toy out of a chache that has tresures, then they have to replace it with something they already have. lol

I've not done letterboxing yet, it sounds fun! I might look into trying it.

We have done some benchmarking in our area Groundspeak - Benchmark Hunting Home Page but alot of the benchmarks in our area are too erroded or missing. my husband likes this slightly more than geocaching. Benchmarking is locating by GPS, NGS survey markers. These are usually old survey markers that were used to record land elevation, location, and such. Basicly your finding a tiny piece of history, that most people never knew were there.

We've also done just a few waymarks, these are also considered virtual caches on the geocaching site, but the geocaching site no longer allows virtual caches to be posted. So its now called waymarking. And basicly it is the location that you are trying to find by description or GPS cords. and you have to take a picture and/or describe the area of the waymark to be counted for a find. Waymarking - A scavenger hunt for unique and interesting locations in the world You learn alot about your area sometimes by doing these!

I can't wait till my kids get older and can understand it better!! We also try to make it a point to do a few geocaches if we visit other areas, it gives us something to share with those we are visiting.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search