Questions

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Lanismommy's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via ICQ to Lanismommy Send a message via MSN to Lanismommy Send a message via Yahoo to Lanismommy
Hi! I am new to the board. I frequent TTC #1 and so it may seen strange that I am here. My DH and I are TTC #1 (Duh lol) but I am trying to kinda decide what I want to do as my child(ren) grow up. We want between 2 and 4 kids in the long run and I think I want to home school.

Sorry I am writing a book.

My MIL home schooled my niece for one year when preschool didn't work out for her but now is going to put her is PS (a better one then she was in, hopefully it helps) where she will start 1st grade meaning she got through two grades in one year and I personally think that she could go to second if it wasn't for her behavior problems.

I want to be a SAHM so I think that homeschooling would be a great way to have my kids at home with me. Basically what I am asking is; How do I get info about homeschooling to know I am doing it all right so that my kids wont eventually have problems getting into college? I am in Texas if that helps.
May 23rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Texas is a super easy state. Read about homeschooling. Check out books from the library. Homeschoolers get into college just as easily as children who are educated other ways. Even unschoolers who use no curriculum and learn through life get into college no problem

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran
I just wanted to say welcome.
May 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello! Stick around with us here.

Yea, Texas is super easy, your very blessed. I have never seen a homeschool graduate refused a place in college if they so chose to go that route.

May 24th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Lanismommy's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via ICQ to Lanismommy Send a message via MSN to Lanismommy Send a message via Yahoo to Lanismommy
Hey thanks for letting me know that. I don't know now if its going to happen know tho. I tried to talk to my DH about it and he didn't really go for it. He is worried that if we don't send our kids to punlic school they won't get the same oppertunities as far as sports and friends etc. as we did. I don't know how to handle it cause I really thought that he would be ok with it and I think that its something I really want to do. Any Advice?
May 25th, 2009, 08:34 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I don't know about where you are but in lots of placed homeschoolers are allowed to participate in public school sports. You may have to jump through a few hoops to do it but it may be possible. There is also the YMCA, parks and recreation, etc for sports opportunities. Here in NC, well the area I am in, even has a homeschool sports league. They offer soccler, volleyball, etc and compete with kids from other counties, etc.

As for friends, well you have tons of time for extra-curriculars where they can make plenty of friends. Then there is co-op, the neighborhood kids, etc. I wondered about my kids in the beginning too but we have so many friends now that it is hard to keep up with them all. Tell him the statistics for homeschooling are rising every year. He would be surprised at how many kids their are out there receiving a home education.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search