Homeschooling with an ADHD child

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2009, 04:52 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do any of you have ADHD children that you homeschool? My son having ADHD is part of the reason that I've thought of homeschooling him, because we had a horrible experiance with his first Kindergarden teacher. We got him switched to a new teacher during the year, but now I'm thinking how we are going to have to go through that again this coming school year. So homeschooling has been on my mind. I was wondering how you use their energy and curriosity to an advantage in their schooling at home. My son is sooo hyperactive that saying he is ADHD is an understatement. LOL But he is so smart. So I was just trying to get some incouragment and ideas from those of you that may be homeschooling an ADHD child! Thanks!

Oh by the way I'm reading a book called 'the gift of ADHD' by lara honos=webb. Its a pretty good book about ADHD, its the first book that I've bought about my son's 'difference'.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 25th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
IMO, children with ADHD learn, but just learn differently. Schools dont change the way they teach to these children, so we label them with a disease, and then med them so they conform to public schools teaching.

I am 100% positive Chyanne would be labeled ADHD in PS, but we never let it get that far. The magic with homeschooling is you can teach your child the way he learns. You dont have to sit him down at the table with a workbook for him to learn. Play around with it a while and figure out the best way to teach him. With Chyanne (who has Down Syndrome), we do monopoly junior to learn money and math. She LOVES it and doesnt think of it as school. When we go to the grocery store, we tell her to find a letter in the parking lot (the "wheres my car" letters, LOL) and tell us the name of something it starts with. When we do addition, we do it with M&Ms or pretzles, and then she gets them as a snack. And she learned about the butterfly life cycle at the zoo.

Children with 'ADHD' tend to be sight and experiance learners, not book learners. There is nothing wrong with that, even though society and public school says there is. Just go with how HE wants to learn and you will be just fine, and will eliminate the frustration. Make it light and fun!
May 25th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
My son has a "mild" form of ADHD and we were told that if he went into mainstream schooling we would be "forced" to put him ritalin. Duncan is a kinesthetic learner, so most of our learning is done through moving. This I only figured out a month or so ago.

It's also important to remember (and I am bad at this!) is that not all learning is "pen and paper". Personally, Pen and Paper type learning is easier to plan and assess, but not always "deep". Games, drama, construction, science, discussion: all of these are important.

Here are some of the activities we do:
1. Learning letters: use wikisticks, pipecleaners, playdough. Spelling words can be done on the sidewalk with chalk.
2. Sentences can be written on strips and cut out, then re-ordered.
3. Duncan likes to use side walk chalk to write the alphabet on the ground. Then he needs to bounce the ball on the correct letters to spell the words. We do something similar for math (eg 5+7=?)

There are a bunch of other things we do too
May 25th, 2009, 07:28 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
My middle son would be given a diagnosis of ADD/PDD if he were in public school. He is learning very quickly at home bc we can adapt to him, not make him adapt to a setting.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
My son is ADHD. Public school was a nightmare for 4 years. Bryce is high functioning ADHD - very smart (straight A student in school) but very disruptive. Homeschooling has been great for us. There are still challenges but I am not competing with the school to help him. Schooling is not the struggle here - behavior is. But I will NEVER send him back to ps over homeschooling him.

As for teaching him, I teach to his strengths and interests. He knows he has to do certain things and he doesn't complain, but we also do a lot of extras (like Tae Kwan Do in the middle of the week, in the middle of the day, go to the park, etc) because he really does need an outlet.
May 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Thank you all so much for your input, keep it coming! Are there any websites or books available that are geared towards homeschooling ADHD children that you all suggest?

My son sees a phsychiatrist for his meds, and sees a phsychologist for behavioral counseling and both are at awe of how active and talkative he is, but also just stunned of how smart he is. His phsychologist agrees that his school will never be able to provide what he needs to learn at the level he is able to learn at. She believes he could be in gifted classes and learning at a higher level than most of his class, but she said because of his ADHD and his disrupting the class, they (the school) would never put him in the gifted classes. She said even him having an IEP (individual learning plan) wouldn't help, because most people brush off children with ADHD anyway.

Thanks again for sharing your experiances.

Last edited by roving_gypsy; May 26th, 2009 at 05:15 AM.
May 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM
..fixed

Last edited by roving_gypsy; May 26th, 2009 at 05:16 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search