Dyslexia

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2009, 06:58 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have dyslexia and while I've learned to correct my self (sometimes it shows up in my posts ) I still deal with the aspects of dyslexia. reversing of numbers and letters, reading right to left/getting ahead of my self, difficulty with writing, spatial relations, time management, word recall, memory and mind blurriness. I didn't realize untill just recently that dyslexia involved all of the above. I mainly focused on my reversing of numbers and letters and reading issues, but lately I've had horrible memory problems and I've realized I've always just delt with word recall (when talking or writing I couldn't come up with the word I was trying to say/write so I'd substitue it with another word, but that word never quite means what I origonally intended to say.). So anyways I've started to notice a few things in my son, he's only 6 and just finished kindergarden and everyone tells me not to worry about it yet. I was diagnosed in 3rd grade with it and I'm mostly being told not to worry about it until at least 3rd grade. (My dad is also dyslexic)

But I can't help noticing that when he reads he is saying the last letter first (reading lines from left to right but words from right to left, I did this when I was little and if I read too fast I still do it). He gets so frustraited because he can't figure out the words with out help, so I have been underlining the first letter of each word he reads that he mixes up to try to help him learn to look at that letter first.

Currently he is reading a chapter book for his age, and is encountering words that he has not seen before. And I'm wondering if this is the reason that it's happening. He does get discouraged really easily so I just keep incouraging him and being really positive when he reads to try to help him through it. He is ADHD so I'm wondering if maybe its just his mind moving too fast. I guess it bugs me mostly because I understand how he's reading these words, I can see exactly how he is looking at these words and pronouncing them, because I do it.

Do any of you have any suggestions. I vaguely remember the exercises I did when I was younger to help me , Like writing in sand with my fingers so I can feel the way the letters should go and cutting out the shapes of letters. But I don't remember how I worked on my reading. I have gotten some note cards and I break up the words by covering the line below the word and covering the word so that he sees only the first few letters and then I move the card so he can see the rest of the word.

He mostly does it on words he's not familiar with, but he also sometimes does it on words I know he knows.

Sorry for being so long winded. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any suggestions, but I am having the same concerns about my 6 yr old. I am trying to be patient and see if she outgrows her difficuluties too. But thanks for the tip about underlining and such. I think that might help her too.

Good luck with your son. It is encouraging to know you've found ways to deal with it.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 28th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I believe they say not to worry about it until 3rd grade because most reversals work themselves out before then. However, with your son's strong family history of dyslexia I think it warrants watching closely. I don't know specific exercises to do, though. This site Reading Rockets : Dyslexia came up in a search and may have some useful information.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The best thing to do is intensive phonics. However, you can "build" the letters using playdough, make sandpaper(or cloth) letters to stick on cards so they can be traced, write with fingers in sand/rice, and make flash cards with the "different" part of the letters in a different colour (ie, d, b, p, q... the sticks each would be different colours). When you get to spelling, "finger spelling" is helpful. It starts with "how many sounds are in the word? count them, then count them on your fingers, then spell the word... make sure you use the correct number of sounds" You can use blocks to help teach suffixes and prefixes, you can use the "baby" alphabet blocks for early reading/spelling (kindergarten/gr.1). There's so much stuff that you can do, but the biggest thing is lots and lots of phonics and practise.
May 28th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Motherbird I'm glad that my post is helpful to you! And thanks for good luck! :-)

Butter, Thank you for finding that link for me! I was thinking along the same lines as you about it being in the family and possibly being more of a concern. My Dad said that he thinks his dad had it as well, but he never wrote much when he was alive and he died early in my dad's life and on top of that he only had an 8th grade education at most. So its hard to say. I do plan to do more research on the topic. So when I do find info I'll post it, so others can make use of the info as well!

HisKid1324, Thank you for all the great info... As I was reading it I remembered doing many of the things you listed. I will definantly be using those suggestions!

May 29th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You're welcome!

I also thought of a few more things...

A ruler or other straight edge under the line being read on a page can help keep a kid on track, especially if you put a green dot at one end, and a red one at the other end (start and finish ends!). Also, make sure he is tracking where he is reading with his finger... a lot of schools teach kids not to because it "isn't grown up" or whatever, but it really helps kids read better, and not lose track of what end of a word they're at.

I do have a friend who finds coloured overlays to help her, so you might experiment with different colours of cellophane with him to see if any colour might actually help him to read better.

Magnetic letters are available in both upper and lower case, and my mum used them with my sister (who is SEVERELY dyslexic) for spelling/reading stuff until she was about 12... and we used them with the toddlers in the home for the same thing, lol.
May 29th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Yes, We've been using a blank note card under the line of words he is reading, which does help him alot. I've been getting on him about tracking, because he used to do it but doesn't anymore and I'm sure its because his school told him not to! I'm definantly going to start working with the other ideas you have given.

I think part of the reason why I'm not remembering much (untill I read what you've been posting) is because I only really remember working on my dyslexia in third grade. I distinctly remember spending an hour each day in the speach theripist's office (I believe that's who did it) doing various different activities. But I want to say it was for a maximum of 6 months probably that we worked on it.. From there I don't ever believe working on it again... maybe thats why I still have problems. LOL ...

May 29th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lol.. I have all the ideas because my sister is, as I said, severely dyslexic, and we were both homeschooled... and now my mother is a dyslexia tutor, and my nephew is extremely dyslexic, so I've worked with him on it a lot.

My mum uses the Orton-Gillingham method, if you're interested, I can ask her what the book is that they mainly use for their "how to" and "what to do" stuff, and if she has other book recommendations for you. I know the method has got a bit of a learning curve, but they have taken sixth graders who weren't even at a kindergarten level and had them at gr. 12 reading levels within two years, so it's gotta work, right?!
May 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I'd love the book recommendations!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search