NOT a good day. :(

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2009, 04:09 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Anyone who has read my posts over the last year probably knows I am a hypochondriac. Well, I woke up about 2 weeks ago with some really BAD back pain. I have had issues with my low back (in the same general area) for over 7 years now. It gets better with chiropractic care (when I can go regularly), but I don't go often because the chiro I love is an hour away.

I have had 4 adjustments with this particular issue and I am about 80% better, but still having a bit of pain.

So...today I went in and told him my fears (of course, I always fear the worst) and he ordered an MRI to "put my mind at ease." Now I am utterly terrified. Not of the MRI...of the results. I can't help thinking the worst - always. That is just what a hypochondriac does, you know. I just keep thinking, "OMG I ignored it for HOW LONG NOW???"

My pain has been in my very low back on and off for the last 7 years. It is mostly on my left side. I had a full spine X-ray about 5.5 years ago and the chiro that did it told me that my spine had some curves in places they didn't need to be (scoliosis?) and that my disks in my L4 and L5 were "squished." Just after i had Scotty, I had bladder involvement with my back pain. Now, that is virtually gone and has been since Scotty was about a year old. Now I just have the pain on and off. Stretching helps a lot. I can actually do stretches most of the time as soon as I feel some pain and that will head it off. I can also feel a "catch" in my back with this particular issue and my chiro said that the "catch feeling" indicates a mechanical problem to him. I would not feel that if it were something terrible. He also told me that if it were the worst case and I had had it for 7 years with no treatment, I would no longer be living.

So, please, tell me stories about how you had an MRI with chronic back pain and it was something like herniated disks, early arthritis, and the like.
May 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sweet, friend! HUGS! I don't have any back stories...sorry.

May 26th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have lower back pain all the time, and lots of the time with "catches." A few years ago it got so bad that I couldn't get up, walk around, or anything but lay on the couch. Finally dh took me to the chiropractor & I had a slipped vertebrae (yes, the actual vertebrae, not disc). Basically it had been "slipping" for a while & wore down enough that it slipped over in front of the other one. Something like that. It's hard to explain. Anyway, he couldn't do an adjustment because of inflamation. I ended up getting meds for the inflamation & was supposed to go back & get adjusted, but never did. I know it's still slipped forward because I can feel it when I rub my lower back. It still bothers me from time to time, but it's manageable. I decided not to get the adjustment because the chiropractor told me that even afterward it would still keep slipping. So I just deal. lol

I hope your's is nothing serious, and you feel better soon.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

May 26th, 2009, 07:30 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get really horrible lower back pain and pain that radiates up my back and down my left leg. It turns out that mine is scaitic problems, and unlike most scaitic nerve problems that occur in the right leg, mine is so horrible because I have an anterior and lateral pelvic tilt on my left hip (basicly my left hip bone was/is tilted towards the front and tilted out). And its do to the muscles that support my hip and my lower spine being extreamly weak. And since my hip was screwed up, my spine wasn't sitting where it was supposed to. I saw a physical Therapist about it, since it was more of a muscle problem than anything. Adjustments would help, but with the muscles being weak they'd really do nothing in the end. Once I strengthend the muscles it helped alot. I'm supposed to continue to do exercises but.. .I'm really bad about it. I can feel when my hip starts slipping again and the pain starts coming back and thats usually when I do some of my stretching and exercises.

Before I went to the doc and then the PT I litterally couldn't stand for more than 10 min., and if I walked more than the normal amount in a day you could count me out for the next two days. It was so bad.

I hope that helps a bit. And I really hope for you that the MRI comes back ok.. I'm a Massage therapist and I know when we have issues with clients with really bad muscle issues. We suggest that they talk to their Primary Care Doc about having an MRI done on the area because MRIs show muscle and tendon issues that xrays can't show. Did your chiro. say exactly what he was looking for on the MRI?

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 26th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Veteran
So sorry to hear about the pain you are having. I hope that your results come back very soon and your mind will be at ease. No stories here to tell, but sending hugs your way.
May 27th, 2009, 07:21 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
My chiropractor said he was doing it to "ease my mind" - but that he was also curious since I have had back problems for YEARS now and he was looking for early arthritis, degenerative disks, pinched nerves, scoliosis, etc.
May 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
Sounds like sciatica, and/or periformis syndrome. VERY easy to fix if you treat it the right way. If your lumbars are compressed, its likely the cause of your pain. If you PM me your email addy I will send you some stretches to get rid of it PROPERLY. Chiropractic will pop the bones back, but the muscles will pull em right back out if they are not fixed.

Also, find a RECOMMENDED Neuromuscular therapist in your area. We are trained well in these things and know how to fix the problem.
May 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Rebecca. I know just how you feel. I am the same way with tests. Like I was freaking out over that colonsocopy thing. I was freaking with my brain MRI. They gave me half a Valium before it. I was also advised to have an MRI on my back some time ago and chickened out. So I can't offer you my story, just some cyber hugs.
Now I am freaking out about swine flu, but I guess that should be another post.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 28th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Horses, not zebras. Living in the US, if you hear the sound of a herd of hooved animals going by you can be pretty well assured that it is just horses. The odds of it being zebras is pretty much zero. Likewise, in medicine, it is almost always something routine like arthritis or regular degeneration caused by the little curve in your spine. Try to relax (I know, easier said than done) because odds are very good it's just horses, particularly because it's been 7 years now.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search