Swine flu!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yesterday I totally freaked when dh came and told me the first case of swine flu had been diagnosed here in Australia...in our little country town!
Praying about it helped, I do feel calmer today, but I know if I think too much on it I will get into a flap again. A little boy came back from America with it and his house is quarantined. I would not have taken my kids out to our kids music group yesterday if I had known. The worry brought my ibs back. If you can remember us in your prayers I would very grateful. Also that Dh remembers to wash his hands. He has great immunity and never gets sick, but I catch everything. Being the towns locksmith means he's touching public door handles all day long. I've told him to wash and I know he will_sometimes. But I know he isn't good about washing his hands. Just pray we all stay well.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 27th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
Its really not a big deal so I wouldnt worry. My mom's co worker had it, and then 3 days later we all had the flu. Chances are it was the same strain, and we survived just fine (the girls didnt even catch it).

Its not a horrible illness like many think....just the flu.
May 27th, 2009, 04:17 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Exactly. Most of the deaths have been in areas where they didn't, or couldn't get proper medical care.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 27th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
And you also need to remember. The NORMAL flu kills 36k a year. The swine flu so far has a MUCH MUCH lower death rate then even the normal flu.
Honestly, I would want them to come into contact with it. Kids will build immunities to it, so if it mutates, or a worse one comes around in the future (the deadly flues in the past have been swine variety), they have some immune protection. Thats the reason it isnt so bad this time around, because people were exposed in the 70s when the last swine flu came through, and have partial immunity.
Call me crazy, but I am glad my kids were exposed. :-D.
May 27th, 2009, 04:45 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I'm with you all.. It was so over hyped int he media. The 70's strain was "started" right here in my back yard so to speak..hoping that means we have a little more immunity..but I am so not scared..the flu kills was more people..
May 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Jo,

Sorry if we sound insensitive. I promise to keep you all in our prayers but just know it isn't as scary as the media portrays.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah..I'm sorry..i am certain your worried..but really swine flu is more media hype than anything!
May 27th, 2009, 05:36 PM
ditto, just trying to reassure you!
May 27th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I was nervous about it at first and now it is here where I live. One man did die of it recently, however his immune system was already quite compromised. Which is the same thing that happens with regular flu. I personally think it was here earlier since I knew so many people who got sick, pneumonia too and are okay. I wash my hands a lot when we are out and about, I update our medications and I know how to take care of myself and my kids if we get sick. Don't worry too much, its okay.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

May 28th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Well it's good to know you think it's a lot of hyp though. I must admit to not paying it that much attention before ...I thought it was just something in Mexico. Hearing it's right here and they quarantined the house was quite a shock.

I still think we will stay home for awhile, because I don't won't the flu, I get sick enough as it is.

May 28th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Completely understand that. I would avoid it just to avoiding being miserable as well.

</a>
May 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm sorry you're anxious hearing about a child there having it. Just suddenly hearing about it like that would be scary. Luckily, it's a mild flu, no different from any other mild seasonal flu. Now they even think it's been around much longer than they first thought. Getting the flu stinks no matter what, but hopefully knowing that it's not as bad as initially feared will help your anxiety level come down.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I wish they wouldn't make it out to be like the black plague or something. Now they are saying it isn't swine flu here in town at all. *sigh* Got to love the media- not.

May 29th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh geez they scared everybody for nothing? That stinks. At least now you can breathe a sigh of relief. :-)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
May 31st, 2009, 09:33 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
Being a hypochondriac (to a severe extreme), I can tell you that I am not worried about the swine flu right now. However, I am keeping a close eye on what it does in the fall and such as they "expect" it to mutate and be worse. But for now, it is really just wait and see...and, if you do get it now (any of us...not YOU specifically LOL), it is pretty mild and Tamiflu helps with duration and severity.
May 31st, 2009, 10:17 AM
I dont agree with tamiflu. Because viruses mutate very quickly, and my concern is, we are pumping everyone with tamiflu NOW, so when it mutates it might be resistant to tamiflu...then what. Plus, tamiflu isnt the godsend they make it out to be. Check out the side effects of that bad boy.
I think the flu has been around for a long time...I just think its ironic, this flu pops up when flu shot sales are a an all time low, and their recommendation is to "double up" flu shots for added protection. Just an observation.
May 31st, 2009, 10:48 AM
I think Tamiflu is crap too..and we don't do flu shots here..never ever have nor will!
May 31st, 2009, 01:27 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I totally agree with you Kathryne - I mentioned Tamiflu, but we would never take it here. As a matter of fact, if we got the flu, we would also not rush in to get the swine flu test so we can be "counted." I think that is soooo stupid! They don't count the deaths and illnesses from the regular flu (the kills 36K a YEAR) one by one...why this one? Especially why now that they have declared it a "mild" flu???

I have thought something was up since it all started. And I can firmly say that, if the flu shot this year has the swine flu component in it, we will NOT be getting it. I have gotten it for the kids the last 4 years because Bryce almost died of the flu in 2003...but the swine flu vaccine in the 70's killed more people than the actual swine FLU itself!
May 31st, 2009, 02:41 PM
I just think its a huge scare tactic for the flu shot *shrug*. I have never gotten the flu shot. And your right, in the 70s, more people were killed and/or paralized from Gillian Barr brought on by the flu shot, then even contracted the flu. It was recalled in 6 months. The flu shot already has the risk of GB on its own...I just hope it doesnt increase with the added swine flu and repeat history.

BTW, How has your back been? Have you been doing the stretches?

Last edited by Tropicgal10; May 31st, 2009 at 02:47 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search