Those who do some summer school...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2009, 06:21 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey ladies. I am horrible about being MIA for a while. Between hosting 2 boards and moderating I often don't have much time left to check other boards. But I do love this one!!!! Anyway, I know we talk about this when summer is approaching every year but let's do it again. lol (And if there is already a recent thread about this that I didn't see feel free to link me to it instead of starting the whole conversation again.) What subjects do you plan to continue throughout the summer? Why? How many days of the week will you do school?

For Belle I am sure she will read a lot, but I don't plan on giving her actual reading assignments. The girl loves to read, so that probably won't be needed. But we haven't done much writing this year, so I plan to have her continue doing her journal and having some short creative writing assignments. Also she will continue to do math. She is officially only in 2nd grade and she is doing 3rd grade ABeka math. She could do it, but I only had her doing the front or back of a page each day for most of the year. Even though it is meant to have the front and back done each day. But a while ago I noticed she was finishing her math very quickly now and so she does the front and back now. I expect that for the most part she will do the front and back of the page during the summer, but on days we are busy she will do only the front or back (whichever is the next page). I think we may also continue doing history and science until we finish these books. We started them when she finished her other ones, so it was well into the year. We will only do those subjects a couple of days a week. For journal/creative writing and math I hope to do them everyday. But I haven't decided for sure. I haven't signed up the kids for summer activities yet, so I am not sure what our schedule will be. Plus I will have the 2 kids I watch all day as public school will be out.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

May 28th, 2009, 06:27 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
We are going to continue everything until next week. Then I am going to back off and try to do a Unit Study deal that focuses on the solar System. I am thinking 1-2 planets a week until they are off to Germany in July.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
May 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, I was going to do everything throughout the summer but decided differently just yesterday. We've taken a couple days off and were able to read three different chapter books already and DS is having a ball! So, I've decided to just do ETC, Bob Books, and read read read! He often asks me for science experiments so we'll do those too but only when he asks. The rest of the stuff I figure can wait until fall or at least late August. He's been doing first grade work in math and LLATL for a while now and I really think we should take the time off in the summer to do some fun things together. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sign him up for swim lessons or something too. This way, there is no stress about trying to get all the lessons done before going to a fun activity in the afternoon. Plus, his little friend next door is off school now and it practically at our door at 10am every morning!

May 28th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Veteran
Will will continue with some math (computer games and other types of games), she's asked to continue spelling (!?!?!), she will have the library reading program and 4-H projects to work on. I am thinking of having her do a horse lapbook for the horse project (4-H) as we've never done lapbooks and I think she'll have fun with that. She will also be starting Vacation Bible school next week and we'll probably put her in swim lessons and maybe get her some horseback ridding lessons, on top of the gymnastics that she already does. I won't make any of it 'school' time so we'll just get to it all when we get to it:)

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
May 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM
HeatherHomeschools's Avatar Veteran
We have a couple of fun lapbooks planned.... Strawberries, Mosquitos, Honeybees. We're also doing a little bit of nutrition and sun safety.

Right now, we're working on a lapbook about Cats. It's been so much fun so far. The boys are loving our read-aloud book "Snot Stew"

*thanks to 3Daughters for the new siggy
May 28th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We do everything as normal in the summer and then take breaks as needed through the year instead of one big one in the summer.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 28th, 2009, 01:08 PM
4boys
We will be continuing as normal as well. At the end of June we'll probably take a week break because Bailey will be officially done with Gr. 1 stuff. Then we'll move on to the Gr. 2 stuff, although we have started some of it already. Our school day is already really light, only about an hour a day, so I'll just keep it that way. We'll take breaks in summer if we go camping and such.
May 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How beautiful can that daughter of yours GET! She is so pretty, Sharon!

We are having full school this summer. Taking off as we please.

May 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
janaleigh's Avatar Member
During summer we always have 1-2 hours of free reading in your room if we are home in the afternoon. This gives my teens and myself some downtime and oftentimes they nap like toddlers

Last summer, I cut way back on plug in time by using tokens-4 a day worth 15 minutes each. Creative time was free-blogging and such as was included along with using technology with siblings. It worked great. Both my sons started blogging and my 15 year old turned his blog into a side business. He now gets upwards of 100 hits a day. I felt that that was a great "education"!......writing and learning about building a website.
http://www.homeschooljungle.com
Orange County, CA
May 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
We do everything as normal in the summer and then take breaks as needed through the year instead of one big one in the summer.
May 29th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
This is soooo what I wanted to do this year too, but DH was against it. He insists a young boy needs a summer off. Plus he says I need some down time so I don't get burned out. I'm going to try and sneak things in but DH feels so strongly about it, we're doing it his way this year.

May 29th, 2009, 11:06 PM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyPrincessEha View Post
How beautiful can that daughter of yours GET! She is so pretty, Sharon!
Thank you!!! I am so biased, but I think she is pretty too!

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search