Writing?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2009, 07:59 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
When do children typically begin writing? Ben's math, reading, and science are all on a 1st grade level now, but he's not writing. He tries, but he gets SO FRUSTRATED because he still has the motor skills of a typical 3 year old. I want to help him so he's not frustrated, but at the same time, I don't want to push him to do something he's physically not ready to do. When should I start seeing an improvement? He's never liked coloring (or any "art" type of project, really), so it doesn't help that he doesn't get much practice holding a pencil until he's ready to practice writing letters and numbers. He's the youngest in his Bible class of 3-4-5 year olds, so all the other kids (well, most of them anyway) are already writing their names. He can't do that yet ... not in a way others can read it, anyway.
May 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Boys typically get to writing later then girls. Also he's still very young to be writting much anyway. Not that I can compare my kids with there delays, but my son can't write any letters at all. He knows quite a few of them, but he basically still scribles apart from drawing 'spiders' >lol<

I think the clue is, does he want to write? If he's interested in doing so I would get him some stamps. You know the kind you place on an ink pad then press on paper. If you had, even say a B, e and n he might be able to stamp his name on paper.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 29th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I think anywhere from 2 until 12. It varies so much. Fritz at 2 is already writing A's and trying to write his name which Cameron is just now at 7 starting to write. He can only write the first three letters of his name (mainly because that's all he can remember).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 29th, 2009, 05:58 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's interesting that Cameron only writes that. Sarah writes heaps more, but can't read nearly so well as he does.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
May 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
David really started writing when he was 5, but he hates it, and I think the only reason he started was he was in PS and it was forced. He purposely writes letters his own way and tells me he's writting them "wrong" just because he doesn't liek to write. Melanie on the other hand will spend all day trying to write, but I think part of it is that she wants to be included in David's things and is trying so hard to do exactly what David does.
May 30th, 2009, 05:21 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Both of my older boys hated writing, I think its a boy thing. LOL Anyway, my oldest is almost 8 and still struggles just because he hates it, but loves to practice cursive. My middle son is now 6 and can write quite neatly but it takes great effort from him. My youngest is almost 4 and show no interest, except for fooling around with his name occasionally. That said I wouldn't worry about his handwriting for at least another year, or 2.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 2nd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Super Mommy
Maybe it's a boy thing. My DD is 2.5, and she loves writing A's B's and sometimes other letters, but she LOOOOOOOVES to draw and color and would do it all day.
I always liked to write more than my brothers did too, come to think of it.

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
June 2nd, 2009, 10:36 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son started writing when he was 4, he was in Pre-Kindergarden. He still has a hard time writing and he is now 6. He starts his letters from the bottom, and no matter how much we try to get him to write the letters from the top he keeps writing them from the bottom. lol So we just let him do what works best for him.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

June 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
4boys
How about getting him to draw letters with his finger in sand or a pan of rice? Or do you have a chalkboard or magnadoodle? Could you get him to just copy one letter at a time until he's fairly good at them? I hope some of these ideas are useful.
June 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4boys View Post
How about getting him to draw letters with his finger in sand or a pan of rice? Or do you have a chalkboard or magnadoodle? Could you get him to just copy one letter at a time until he's fairly good at them? I hope some of these ideas are useful.
We've already been doing all of those. The rice is a fairly new thing, but the others are ones we've done for quite a while. Thanks, though.
June 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Scotty has always had really good fine motor skills. I know that last year, before he had turned 5, he was writing in the ETC books and the letters were formed just wonderfully. His cursive is actually better than Bryce's and Scotty will not be 6 until September (Bryce will be 10 in August). I think it really just varies and depends on the child. Each one has strengths and weaknesses. I know a child who didn't walk until he was 18 mos old, but was talking in full sentences using crazy vocabulary that you would expect an adult to use when he was 9 mos old! Scotty walked when he was 9 mos old, but couldn't say more than "ma" until after he was over 2! Just really varies....
June 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
We started with this around 4. We did things like drawing lines and circles. Simple things. Smiley faces are good too. We used Handwriting without tears. I think it is a great program and their prewriting workbook is good for beginners. I need to remember what it is called. I just ordered some more workbooks but they have changed some of them since I last ordered.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search