Lesson Plans

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2009, 03:39 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For those of you that didn't start out homeschooling with a full curriculum from one company, how did you learn how to create your lesson plans? I'm really unsure as to whether or not I'll be able to pull a curriculum together from various companies. Any tips or advice would be great! Thanks!

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

May 31st, 2009, 08:23 PM
Ok I've reviewed a few sites on how to create a lesson plan and here is what I have so far. Please let me know if this is the general idea or if there is a better way to do it.

- Identify school days in your school year, your breaks, and number of weeks
- Make a list of subjects and include the elements per subject (engilsh: writing, spelling, etc.)
- Identify which subjects already have been broken down into lessons and which haven't
- Create your lessons for the subjects that arn't broken down for you
- Don't forget to plan field trips with perp. work before the field trip and follow up work after.
- Bring all lessons together and plan them out per number of days/weeks for your school year.
- If need be, plan only a week or a month at a time, if unsure/unable to plan for the whole year
- Update and adjust your lesson plans to fit your ever changing schedule due to illness, extra field trips, needing extra review, or moving quicker through the lessons than planned.

May 31st, 2009, 10:31 PM
4boys
Basically I just look in each book/curriculum to see how many lessons there are. If there are about 30-36, then that means we do it about once a week. So I just sort of divide them up and figure out how many times per week to do them. Usually they don't even last a full 36 weeks so there is some room to work with.
June 1st, 2009, 06:02 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Unless you are planning to go with textbooks most homeschooling stuff is fairly well laid out for you, even if they are not a boxed set. I do similar to Erin. I know everyday we will cover the three R's and there is no more planning needed for that than pulling the book out and glancing over the lesson the night before. Science and History I just look over the next week or 2 and make sure there are no special items needed for experiments, and add them to my shopping list if needed. I honestly only plan about 2 weeks out. Now we are only 3rd grade so I am thinking by middle school I may need to have more lesson plans written out, etc. But for now this is working.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 1st, 2009, 06:34 AM
OK thats good to know, that most homeschooling stuff includes its own lesson plans. I've not bought anything so I'm just trying to prepare my self before I decide on what to get. Thanks!

June 1st, 2009, 07:00 AM
Veteran
I do it more as what he can handle and " nice break ups" versus getting it done in a year.

Math- I took how many pages the text book had and divided it by two. So he's doing a page front and back every day. We have not worked back into the work book but the work book goes by exercise not page length meaning he will not be done with this math year for 37 weeks. Since we school year round I don't keep track of what week we are on just that he understands what he's doing.

Science- We do a chapter a week which gives us 45 weeks. However recently Miguel took the books and devoured 14 "weeks" in one sitting so now we are reviewing a chapter a day until we catch up to him.

Spelling- He does a lesson a week which amounts to a page front and back a day. Which means he will go through about 4 a year and has about 71 more weeks before a more formal spelling program is bought. However I have found he does more than one lesson some times. Hopefully a 1 1/2 will let him catch up on his writing.

Writing- His book has 96 pages a year or 3 lines a day to make it a full year. If I can convince him to do any of it within 8 hours that's a great day.

Social studies- We use it as bedtime stories so a story a night with or without school same with independent reading.
June 1st, 2009, 07:20 AM
Thank you! Its wonderful to hear how you break it up, It really does help me better understand that it is easier than it seems. I was a little overwhelmed when I kept reading that some people plan out a whole year. LOL It does seem much easier to do it by the page/chapter and just go with the flow.

June 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
I scheduled 1 WEEK at a time for my kids. This is mostly because I don't want the little things (like not getting to Science one day) to throw off my entire schedule.

Here is a sample of my 5th grade schedule for my oldest ds (a work in progress...the ? will be filled with numbers after the summer! LOL). I just break down the subjects and days and go from there. We tweek as needed. Then, toward the end of the school year (3-4 weeks left), we play catch up on anything that needs to be finished. It worked out well this year. (We also do some school year around though...so finishing by a certain date is not a necessity for us).

Oh...and NOTE: Most people do NOT do Science and History daily. We are using Heart of Dakota this year and they schedule it daily. If it gets to be too much, we will likely play with the schedule until it fits our needs. I figured we would start out with it as scheduled and see what happens. Before this, I did History 3 days a week and Science 2 days a week.

Last edited by ~hsingtreehouse~; June 1st, 2009 at 08:54 AM.
June 1st, 2009, 12:07 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
There are so many ways to schedule lesson plans. In addition to what people said above, some people just go at a set pace of x number of minutes per subject per day. They may finish a "year" of math in more than a year and a "year" of language arts in less that a year, but they don't worry about exactly length of time. Or they do a loop schedule where you have a certain order for your subjects and a certain amount of time for school each day. They don't care if they do 3 subjects one day and 12 the next. Again, they may do a "year" in more or less than a year. Those sorts of schedules are a little more fluid.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search