Message from a friend, help me give advice please. :)

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 1st, 2009, 03:23 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I have some ideas but wanted to pick your brains too. This is a great Mommy who is struggling to help her little girl. I have no real experience with Dyslexia but I know some of you do. And you guys are much more creative than I am. Help please. Her email is below.

"I had her tested out of school as they were standing by the fact that she was behind in ready because she was young for her class.

Today we found the results were what we had thought and she has some attention issues and possibly border line Dyslexia. They had some grading issues and I don't have the exact numbers, but they did suggest a Multi-sensory Phonics that could help retrain her brain.

I know I can't afford the $40 per hour 2X a week...Do you have any ides? I have informed the school and the are like that is nice did they give you any recommendations? I hate the school and since she will be going in to 3rd grade it changes not only teachers but the special needs teacher as well, they are wanting to wait until the fall.

She still needs the help as she has leveled off and is reading at a 1st grade level. I looking online a bit and will look for so more but I welcome any ideas you have."

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
This thread has some great ideas for dyslexia: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...-dyslexia.html (Dyslexia)

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 1st, 2009, 07:00 PM
Nedene's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That must be the tutor my mother dragged me to twice a week for a year in like the 4th grade... (i was dianosed with dyslexia, and am adhd)

I hated going there that i do remenber why, no idea.. lol... My biggest problem was going from reading to spoken language, I don't know what her daughters issue may be, but i can understand it if i read it, I after tons of practice am better at reading out loud, but it's the whole pernouncing words that still get me at times.. could it be that she can read in her head and understand it just not read out loud.? An idea i know everyone is different.

From what i can remenber and if it wasn't so late i'd call and ask my mother if she remenbers anymore about it.. The lady had flash cards and we drilled then sounds the letters and letters together made (ie. ch sh) can't think of what those are called. and we wrote it a sand tray the words, letters to help memorize them. it was like a major crash corse in sound it out, I don't know if there are new ways now since that was over like 13 years ago..

Anyways.. i'll try to come up with more info ideas for you.. hope any of this may help..

June 1st, 2009, 07:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A lot of my suggestions are in that thread that Heather linked to. :-)
June 2nd, 2009, 06:05 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Thanks guys!

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Nedene's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
here's another site i've found.. How to Teach People with Dyslexia

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search