Question for those familiar with Abeka kindergarten

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
One of the two main reasons I wanted to use the DVD program was that "everything's included" ... meaning, if there are charts or flash cards or whatever, they're shown in the DVD. If you've used the traditional curriculum w/o the DVD, can you tell me what was/wasn't necessary to buy? Is there anything that can easily be substituted? Some of that stuff just seems expensive to me. I don't want to buy it and not use it, ya' know?
June 2nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't do the Kindergarten full stuff, but I did do the math. I substituted everything that sounded "fun" or somewhat necessary by making it at home on just regular index cards (actually, I got 4 or 5" by 6" ones and cut them in half, so we had "kid sized" ones).

The charts for the phonics are probably the only thing you really *need* to buy, and possibly the flash cards, but I really didn't see much of a point in either one (in gr. 1). I think if I was going to do it again, I would maybe get the charts to post on the wall/board/whatever, and the phonics flashcards so we can look at and review the sounds, and everything else I would make/find substitutes (and, btw, dominoes make a great "combination dot card" substitute!). I found that in the front of the teacher's guides they gave you the information you needed to be able to create your own of most things. Perhaps Chelita will have more info for Kindergarten specifics, since she just did it with Remy!
June 2nd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Veteran
My daughter used the Abeka K curriculum. We did not use the DVD program, but we used the K5 Child Kit and I found that by just purchasing the Basic Phonics Flashcards along with the K5 kit worked out just fine for her. (The phonics cards are for grades K-3 so they were well worth it to me) Everything else I just made myself by using blank index cards and small poster boards. We also used dominoes for the "Combination Dot Cards"
June 2nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Cool! Thanks!
June 4th, 2009, 10:47 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used a few of the charts and games. I did use the special sounds cards and alphabet cards, but you could so make those yourself. And it will usually be very easy to make up a game if you wanted to based on what the TE has listed. The books pretty much taught the child for me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search