Are You Ever Afraid?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2009, 05:43 AM
Veteran
For those of you that have a homeschooling photo blog, are you ever afraid that your child's/children's photos may end up in the wrong hands? There was once a time when I had an open homeschool blog for all to see, but I have recently set it to invite only. I truly enjoy having a homeschooling photo blog to share all of our homeschooling journeys and would love to share it with even more homeschooling moms by opening it up again. So what is your opinion on an open homeschooling blog vs. a private one? I would love it hear it.
June 3rd, 2009, 06:36 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I don't really worry about it all that much. I try to be fairly vague about where we live and things like that, although I think that only about 3 people even read my blog.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

June 3rd, 2009, 06:41 AM
HeatherHomeschools's Avatar Veteran
I don't worry about it much either. I mean, I don't make my kids wear paper bags over their heads when we go to the mall or the grocery store. IMO the people we meet there could do more harm to them than anyone on the Internet.

*thanks to 3Daughters for the new siggy
June 3rd, 2009, 07:02 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I don't worry about it. I don't like password protected blogs. I read blogs through an RSS feed reader and password protected blogs I have to actually go to to see if there are any new posts. I generally end up not reading those blogs at all because I forget to go and check them.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 3rd, 2009, 08:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My husband is the one who is paranoid about this! So I take pictures of the kids from behind, or at a different angle or from far away so their features aren't apparent. Also, we don't say anything about where we live, etc. I try to keep it very generic but still have fun with it. Plus, I don't use the kids' real names and I don't advertise when hubby is going to be gone and the kids and I will be alone for an extended period of time. You just never know.

June 3rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I don't worry personally...I am way more worried about the dude at the bar across the street than my blog on the internet..

Oh and Lisa..I read your blog..and yup...password protected ones I end up rarely seeing too Heather..
June 3rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I think about it sometimes...but like someone else said, "I don't put paper bags on their heads when we go out in public." At the same time, I don't have my blog link in my siggy on forums anymore and I don't advertise it...
June 3rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Veteran
My dh worries a lot about these kind of things. I actually just recently set up a blog and it was under the condition that I never put a pic of our dd on it. We don't write her real name on the internet either. I'm not as worried about it, but it was the only way dh was going to let me be on here:)

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
June 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DH thinks I'm paranoid, lol... and I'm soooo lax in many ways I think. He says if people are wanting to find us, they'll find us, the blog doesn't make much difference (nor does this place, for that matter). I used to be really cautious, now I'm much less so. I figure seeing as there are five (known) child predators in our area, one of the houses on our street is suspected of running drugs, and at least four houses at this end of the street have heavy drinkers, we're more in danger where we are than on the internet. Plus, this lovely neighbourhood, strangely enough, keeps an eye out for their neighbours, so if something *did* happen, I'd have like 20 houses of people to witness it, since like 80% of the people on this street also don't work... BY CHOICE! I don't get it.

Anyway, I don't put our last name on the internet in general, but if you read my blog, you know my last name since it goes on every picture I take, and seeing as it isn't really a common one, that almost gives us away... except that we're not in the phone book. Similarly, in general, people only know what we're from Hampton Roads area of Virginia, but my blog has our street name on it (and I checked and it's the only street in our state with that name!), though it doesn't have the address. However, if you read my blog, you'd be able to find our house.

I put our first names up, including Rebecca's. I don't put our niece and nephew's names out there unless it's on my blog, because I'm not comfortable with that one (plus don't have parental permission!). I put pictures up on my blog regularly of Rebecca, and very occasionally on facebook, but I think as she gets bigger, we're going to have fewer "closeups" online (especially facebook), as the pictures I put online are already more pictures of her doing some kind of *activity* (she's a busy little thing) instead of just a picture of the child.

And, finally, I think there is only one, maybe two people from here who knowingly read my blog. I don't advertise it, so you have to either obtain the address directly from me, or from someone who knows my blog address. I have readers from Sweden, the UK, Canada, and the USA, most of which are family or friends, or very good friends of my family (ie, my parents friends). And, since I'm not an active homeschooler at the moment, unless baby time counts, most people interested in "homeschool blogs" wouldn't be particularly interested in our day-to-day lives, I don't think...
June 3rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Super Mommy
I don't put down more info than first names. I'm pretty vague as far as anything else.

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
June 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
janaleigh's Avatar Member
I used to be more paranoid although on our public blogs no one may mention where we live, our last name or other identifying information. I guess it's all in the phone book but...
One of my friends daughters posted where she was going to be friday night for Prom, her first and last name, and her home address ( in a picture of a package that she received ) I did call the mom and share my concern because the event had not occurred and she had posted so many specifics....too many weirdos out there.
http://www.homeschooljungle.com
Orange County, CA
June 3rd, 2009, 06:52 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Maybe I should worry about it but I don't. My info is easily findable, mostly because of running JM so I try to just not think about it.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
June 4th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Veteran
Wow! Thanks for all of the input ladies and the helpful tips. You have put my mind at ease and once again my blog will be open to all who wish to visit.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search