LLATL Red

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2009, 05:20 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At what age are/were your kids when you were on the LLATL RED books?
I was planning on getting the Blue for my son, but it talks about being for K and/or 1st grade, introducing the capital letters and and how handwriting skills are developed.

While the Red one says it is for the fluent reader but will bring confidence and fluency to the begining reader. And then it says handwriting teaches upper and lower case, numbers, PLUSE punctuation.

My son is 6 and he has a pretty good base on writing his letters (capital and lowercase), and his numbers, he is just starting on punctuation. And if he is pushed he can read quiet well... its only when he thinks he can get away with it does he act like he can't read so well. So I was considering skiping the blue book, and I was wondering at what age (for those that use LLATL) did you all start the Red book?

Thanks!!!

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

June 10th, 2009, 05:22 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We did red book when my Declan was 6.5..
June 10th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jared will be 8 in August & he's just starting the LLATL red book. The blue book is more than just teaching letters & numbers. The beginning of it is alot of that, but then it gets into the reading/phonics instruction. When Jared started the blue book, he was way beyond the beginning of it & skipped to about the middle where it picks up with long vowels & beginning/ending blends. Here's a website with the 1st & last assessments from the blue book & red book. Hope it helps you decide...

Blue book
Red book
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

June 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for providing those links, I saw them the last time you posted them in another post and I looked over it. But today I had nathaniel sit down with me and do the assessments.

OK , so Nathaniel can complete the first and last assesment in the Blue book with no problem (minus the attitude and the not concentrating; we did our summer work earlier and he didn't want to sit to do the assesments since we had already completed our school work for the day. Plus he wants to bake a cake for dad's bday. lol). But he struggles a bit on the first assesment in the red book. What do you guys think.. Should we do the Blue book, or would it be a good idea to start the Red book? He will be 6.5 when we start in August. And untill then we are doing our summer review work to stay on track.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

June 10th, 2009, 02:29 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
If we had continued with LLATL, we would have started red in the fall. Scotty will be 6 in September. We did Blue when he was barely 5 and honestly, it was always "easy" for him.
June 10th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My opinion is, if he can do the last assessment from the blue book without a problem & has trouble with the first assessment from the red book, the red book is the place to start. He'll learn all those things from the assessment in the first several weeks leading up to the assessment. I wouldn't even consider his age as a factor, honestly. He is where he is, whether he's 5, 7, or 10. Why have him do something that he already understands? JMO
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search