Abeka questions

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2009, 08:52 AM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so I am sitting down to plan my order for Abeka. I got several items used but still need more items. I am just kinda going off what is in the parent and child kits. I was noticing that some of the subject have teacher editions but those are not included in the kit. Do I need to get the teacher editions to make it work? Are there any other items I should purchase that are not in the kits? Like the charts and flashcards and things? I am thinking we can make our own flashcards but may need the charts. Just not sure.

I would really like to go with Sonlight for history and science but the price difference is huge. With Abeka you only need 3 books for the history,science and health. I am just not sure they are substanial enough. Any input from Abeka users on the history and science?

June 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Veteran
We use Abeka for most of our subjects. The teacher's textbooks are exactly like the child's textbooks only they have the answers for review questions in them and also have extra questions to ask your child to make sure that they are understanding what is being taught. There may be some side note on a lesson which has a little tip, but other than that, from what I have seen, they are exactly the same. I did order some of the charts in the beginning, but found out later that I could just make them myself from finding things online. I did order the Basic Phonics Flashcards for grades k-3 and found them to be very helpful.

For my daughter's Kindergarten and First Grade year I found that I was looking into lapbooks and file folder games for science and history by the end of the year. She really zipped through those books and was asking for more. So you may want to have something extra to finish out the year just in case.

I hope that this helps and if you need any more info just ask. Chelita knows a lot about Abeka and can maybe give her input too.
June 10th, 2009, 02:23 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks. Sounds like I could probably skip the teacher edition books.

Do you have any idea how much they charge for shipping? Its free at a display so I am thinking of waiting till the display comes in July.

Oops forgot, Do you think my daughter would have trouble with the writing since they do all cursive instead of print? She is used to print so kinda concerned she will not do well with cursive but maybe she will.
Is the reading with abeka alittle advanced compared with other programs? I am hoping it wont be to hard for my daughter. Thanks

June 10th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Veteran
I usually order my books from Abeka when they have a special on free shipping or I order them when the convention comes to my city. So I can't help you with the shipping. Sorry. I would wait until July, this way you can take a look at the books and see exactly what you need or want.

I was going to wait until my daughter reached second grade to teach her cursive writing, but she insisted on my teaching her in 1st. She did wonderful with it! Something about the flow of the letters just made her so anxious to start it early and I am glad that I did. She still writes most of her sentences in print, but loves her cursive penmanship lessons.

I do find that the first grade readers are somewhat advanced, ( I compare them with the reading books that my nephew uses in public school) but my daughter was learning Abeka phonics and also Hooked on Phonics at the same time, so she was reading in no time at all.

Now this all works for us, but hon, it may not work for y'all. So please take all of this with a grain of salt. What works for some children may not work for others.
June 11th, 2009, 05:42 AM
*Sharon*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not sure about the shipping. But so far I haven't bought the teachers editions. I will when they are older probably though for some subjects. I think their science and history are set up to be a one semester subject if you do it everyday. But if you do like 2 days of history a week and 2 days of science than the books will last the year I think. And I do get the quiz/test books to go with them.

Sharon, wife to Noah; mom to Belle (12.5), Ryllan (10), Finn (6), and Zane (3).

June 11th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We did (about half) of the science, history, and health last year, the kids LOVED it, but I really felt like it was too "simple" for their very active and intelligent, 4 and 6 year old brains, so I just got books on similar stuff at the library to supplement, and we did every experiment/activity/project I could come up with that would be "on topic" with them. We didn't have the teacher books, I've never seen one, and the only reason I would even consider one under fourth grade is if they happen to have a LOT of ideas for supplementation and such in them. Otherwise, I thought it was fine alone. And, I would TOTALLY wait till the display is there to order, the shipping is kinda expensive (imo).
June 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For the younger grades I wouldn't get the teacher editions which are the same books with the answers. I would save that money.

History and Science was never enough until grade 3 for us. I just always add in more as we need it or want it.

Shipping is HIGH! I would wait until the display in July. It is almost here anyway.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search