Yes, another Abeka question. LOL!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2009, 09:49 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I have no idea what I'm doing, so please tell me if this is ok for kindergarten. Am I missing anything, or do I have something listed that I probably won't need? FYI...I'm skipping the Bible stuff. I'd love to have it, but it's expensive, and we've still got 18+ mos worth of Rainbow Lessons left. I'm also skipping the phonics cards.

90263 Songs
26409 Art
48437 Readiness
26395 Soc. Studies
54348 God's World (science)
97071 Parent Kit
123595 Child Kit

Also, there's a display coming here on the 25th. Would they likely have all this stuff available to buy, or would I need to order it? I've never been to a display before.
June 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Veteran
I used the parent and child kit for my daughter during her Kindergarten year. I also used the Art book and Science book and found it to be sufficient enough for her Kindergarten year. I usually place an order at the convention when it comes to my city and everything is mailed to me. Sometimes Abeka will have a special on free shipping in their catalog when you place an order by a certain date. You may want to attend the convention. I find it very helpful to view the books for myself beforehand, but have ordered straight from their catalog and have been satisfied. Now that I am comfortable with homeschooling, (we are heading into our 5Th year) I do not order the parent kits anymore. I only order the teacher's answer keys for my oldest daughter (10Th grade). I did find that by ordering the parent kit when I first started out helped me out tremendously as far as planning out a day by day schedule. I was terrified when I first started homeschooling my children, but we have all survived. You will be just fine hon.
June 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Ok, so what exactly is a parent kit? I've never really understood that. (I assume the child kit is hands-on stuff... workbooks, flash cards, etc.?) It's just answer keys, time management, and maybe some "here's how you explain this to your child" stuff? Anything else?
June 12th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The parent kit is the lesson plans. In the early years they don't believe you *need* the answer keys for the workbooks, so they just give you lesson plan stuff, and any test keys the grade may require. Personally I think it is helpful to have the letters and sounds workbook keys, and if you're working with multiple children gr. 1 and up it is also helpful to have the math keys.
June 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Are you looking at the K4 or the K5?

The parent kit in K5 includes:
K5 numbers curriculum (Lesson plans- a must)
K5 phonics, reading, and writing curriculum (Lesson Plans- a must)
Phonics charts and games
Numbers charts and games
Learning games
Basic phonics flashcards
K5 Manuscript or Cursive Lesson Plans

I would say from personal experience that the lesson plan books are necessary. They basically script out what to say and how to teach the skills to your children. I did however get the Manuscript lesson plans and never used them. I got it used for like .50 cents and its' an older edition though, otherwise I'd just give it to you.
When I did their K math, I made all my own flashcards. I'll be honest and say it was time consuming but all it cost me was a pack of 3x5's instead of 10-15$ a pop! For first grade I did splurge and buy the flashcards, but I almost NEVER use them! So, there ya go. Some people are more flashcard oriented. I'd rather play games.

We used the numbers learning games and they are fun- I really like those, personally so I would get those too.

If you do go the the display conference, they should have all the books at least for you to look through to make sure you want them. Then if you order through them at the conference shipping is free. It's worth it if there is one anywhere near you.

Oh, and I had the readiness skills book at one point too and it's basically more crafts, dot to dot, holiday cards they can make, and the like. So you could actually just get the Art book and be fine. I MAY have had an older edition though, so perhaps the newer editions go more in depth. Another reason why you may want to go to the display so you can flip through it.

The child kit:
  • My Blend and Word Book
  • Letters and Sounds K (child workbook for phonics)
  • Miniature Alphabet Flashcards (Could be made)
  • Kindergarten Writing Tablet Manuscript (child workbook for writing)
  • Writing with Phonics K5 Manuscript (child workbook for writing and phonics)
  • Numbers Skills K (child workbook for math)
  • Numbers Writing Tablet (child workbook for practicing numbers)
I see the My Blend and Word Book for resale often so I'm not certain how often this is used.

I hope all this info helped.

Last edited by Retrocutie; June 12th, 2009 at 08:14 AM.
June 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would order at the display on the 25th because you will be able to save on shipping. It is a nice chunk of money.

June 12th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Retrocutie... thank you! That helped a lot! Yes, we're looking at the K5 stuff. Ben's not very big on flash cards either, so I'll probably make whatever I need. We've got tons here already.
June 12th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got all my info from their site:
https://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/Ca...ookieSupport=1

June 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Yeah, but you explained what it meant.
June 13th, 2009, 01:36 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
If I were going to use Abeka, I would go to the display. The reps can explain everything and you can get your hands on the stuff. Can't beat that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search