Workboxes...well kinda

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2009, 12:51 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Okay, so I have decided that workboxes may be the way to go for us. I am pretty organized anyway, but I think this will help Bryce be more independent. I am not buying the book or all the expensive stuff...just using the concept. I am going to have Dan build me a huge shelf with lots of little cubby type slots for the kids' work. And heck...if it doesn't work for us, I can always use the shelf for *gasp* books! LOL

Anyone else doing anything like workboxes?
June 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My kids have folders with a page per week that has their on their own work listed. Anything they need instructions from me for has a code that corresponds to codes I wrote in my lesson plans. They check the items off as they do them. We don't have space for workboxes here and I'm really not sure I'd reload them every day.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 14th, 2009, 05:19 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
concept is nice... but like Heather I doubt I'd reload and such...mine have a checklist and that works for us..
June 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
That is what I had been doing. Each afternoon, after school, I would set up the next day (just pile up the books he needed and put the checklist on top). I thought the workboxes might give me the ability to put all of the items necessary to complete the task in seperate sections and maybe it would be less daunting to him (Bryce) when he sees the stack of books for the day. I don't know. Still playing with everything and trying to make things go more smoothly this year. Not changing curriculum 50 times through the year will help a lot too! LOL
June 14th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Could you use those in/out bins that are used in offices? I could see us using those at some point- I just don't have the room for a bunch of boxes to separate things.

I hope this idea helps you get organized! So many great ideas out there!

June 15th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
I also have a terrible lack of space *sigh* I use document shelves instead and they work for us. I don't reload them everyday, he simply puts his workbooks back into the shelves they came out of. I do put his worksheets in the corresponding shelves on a Sunday night during my lesson plan time. He knows that certain subjects have 1 or 2 worksheets so I don't have to worry about him not doing all his work. If he has 3 worksheets left on a Friday, he knows he isn't allowed to go play till they are neatly and correctly completed. It totally works for us
June 15th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I have a huge cabinet that Jacky built. On one side I have all the school stuff. They each have a notebook that has all the papers for the year with subject dividers. Each morning I just pull whatever books we need & take the necessary papers from their notebooks. When they're done, we have a "turn-in" tray with 3 shelves. They each have their own shelf. Later I go through & file them back in their notebooks in the back of the right section. It works pretty well for us.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

June 15th, 2009, 10:46 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
All good ideas.

They had those darn office things at the curric sale for 25 cents a piece!!! But, of course, this idea wasn't on the agenda then...so I didn't buy them.

I think I will enjoy having the shelf type thing too. I always love new shelves.
June 17th, 2009, 04:59 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I do something similar to Jenn, except for I have hanging file folders. I have one for each child and only load for a week worth of work. Then I have a folder for each month of the year, for each child, so when they finish their work it goes in that months file. I can't plan too far in advance or I get overwhelmed and don't get half of it done.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 17th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Regular
I just bought Sue's ebook yesterday. I think the workbox system sounds perfect for us. I'm planning to set one up for each child. I am really not very organized or focused and I think this will help us stay on task.

My goal this week is to make spaces for the shelves because I am not buying them until I do that!
June 17th, 2009, 08:18 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
I thought about buying the book. I am going to give it a try on my own. Please let me know if there is anything in there that really seems WORTH getting the book for! I may break down and buy it afterall if there is a lot of good stuff in there that I would not think of on my own.
June 17th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Regular
I'm new to homeschooling and I felt like I needed more specific direction. There are blogs that have very good ideas and are wonderful too so I guess it just depends on what you need. I also bought the materials that Sue sells to go with the workboxes since I don't have the tools necessary to make them. It did seem like the things incorporated for keeping the kids on track are not talked about much in the blogs but you may have already worked out those issues. I plan to use this with FIAR and MUS.
June 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
I see. Yep, my first year homeschooling, I needed a bit more hand-holding than I feel like I need now. 8 weeks into the experience, I dropped the curriculum in a box and did my own thing. We are using mostly CLE and HOD now. Thaks for responding and have a great year!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search