Managers of their Homes

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2009, 07:12 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
A little background...when I worked outside the home, my house was so clean you could eat off the floor. I worked all day and cleaned half the night. It was my *thing.* After becoming a SAHM, I developed the mentality that "ehhh...it will be there tomorrow...and the next day, and the next day....." and my house has really suffered because of this.

I have been throwing around the idea of a schedule to keep me on track and more accountable...but I don't like the idea of micro-managing my life!

I finally took the leap and got the book Managers of Their Homes. I still don't think I can micro-manage my life, but I am going to try to at least come up with a "plan" to follow. I need to limit my computer time, schedule chores for the kids, scedule breaks for Bryce during school, and just, in general, get more order in my house. So..I am going to give it a try (while staying away from the micro-management aspect as much as possible)! Anyone else tried this? Or just made a sechedule to make the day run better? I don't want to schedule the kids school strictly at all - just get a good overview of my day and what I can do to make the most of my time. Right now, staying on the computer is the bane of my existance. I sit down planning 15 minutes and 2 hours later get up. Then I wonder why my back hurts.....
June 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Veteran
I have used 'Managers of their Homes', and while I don't use the chart anymore, I do find that if I will just write down what needs to get done that day, I get much more done.

I'm also like you in that I am on the computer WAY TOO MUCH:)

Good luck with getting organized.

Shannon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon (32 years old) ~ Married to dh (for 12 years) ~ Mom to dd (10 years old)
Visit my blog at: http://aroundthehomestead.blogspot.com/
June 14th, 2009, 10:13 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I REALLY want to do it, I have to schedule it. I have a chart of chores to do weekly then chores to do monthly, trying to get some chores done. I even when first becoming a SAHM had to schedule out my entire day in order to do ANYTHING! I have since quit going that far but IDK, I guess I just need some sort of schedule/reminder or something. I think I'm wired funny or something!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
June 14th, 2009, 11:25 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I definitely have to have a plan. I don't micromanage, but yeah, if it's not on the list, it probably won't get done. I have "shopping day" and "laundry day" and stuff like that, but on a smaller level, I also make a prioritized list. I know that things happen to derail my plans, so if I just put everything in priority order and then do as much as possible, I can rest assured that night, that nothing important was overlooked (even if the house is still a mess).
June 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I am NOT a schedule person... but I have found MOTH to be very helpful. I don't use it perfectly and we have a LOT of "free time" in the schedule and if we get off the schedule it's no biggie, but I get the idea that's really how a lot of people use it. I know the Duggars use it and have said they are happy if they follow it basically. A while back I blogged about our schedule. Our Schedule - Camian Academy - Our homeschool life It's nowhere near the same now since we have moved and school takes longer now that we're in a different core. But that's how it was then. Our days go much smoother if we follow it basically. Ani's a lot happier. She needs a schedule to thrive for some reason. So NOT like her mother lol

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 14th, 2009, 01:37 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I was using FLY Lady for a little while there. FlyLady.net: Your personal online coach to help you gain control of your house and home It really helped and I still use a lot of her techniques. I just never got into the journaling, etc.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 14th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Regular
I was just going to suggest Fly Lady! The only time my house has been as clean as DH would like on a regular basis, I was FLYING. He actually would get a little annoyed that I cleaned so much. (I think we just need a cleaning fairy or something. ) Sadly, I have not been able to get back into it since having my second baby over two years ago......
June 15th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've used FlyLady in the past. Honestly, the idea is great, but it got on my nerves. I hated the feeling of someone telling me what to do & when (in a round-about sort of way). I have found the best thing that helps me is: #1--don't stay on the computer so much (still working on that one ) and #2--I have a mini white board on my fridge & in the mornings (or the night before) I write out a list of everything that needs to get done: straighten each room, wash dishes, clean bathrooms, change sheets, mop floors, etc. I try to include laundry on my list daily & as a "sub-list" under laundry I'll write down 1 or 2 loads that I want to get done for that day. So I try to get at least 2 loads done each day. That way it all stays done & I'm not overwhelmed by 10 loads of laundry all at once! My biggest challenge has ALWAYS been laundry! I don't know why.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

June 15th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
My mother is a micro manager, and I try everything I have never to become like that LOL.
When she was moving, she planned everything to the min. For example, 34 min to get from A to B, 53 min to move stuff into the house, 3 min for gas up, ect. It was exausting....and honestly I think micromanaging is a mental illness LOL.

With that said...If I see something is messy, I clean it up. Dirt on the floor, I vaccum. Crumbs or something on the counter, I wipe it. It works for me. I wouldnt recommend eating of m y kitchen floor, as the kitchen is where the dog resides 80% of the day but its clean :-D.
June 15th, 2009, 10:52 AM
~hsingtreehouse~
LOL! You crack me up Kathryne!

Fly lady annoys me...and besides, I don't need another reason to be ON the computer!

I totally need something to keep me accountable. I don't want to schedule the minutes of my day (OMG), but I do think having a general idea of how long things should take or how long to spend on one task (like computer time! LOL) will help me get moving. For instance....I sat down here at 1:11 and thought, "okay, 15 minutes of computer time and then I will make lunch (we got a late breakfast). Well, check the post time above to see how well I did.

(1:52 for anyone in another time zone)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search