Thousands of violent children excluded from primary school

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
Read more here

Thousands of very young children are being excluded from primary schools for physically attacking pupils and teachers, research by The Times shows.

It exposes the extent to which children of infant-school age are being expelled or suspended, even though the tactic is more commonly associated with uncontrollable teenagers.

The Times survey of 25 local authorities found that almost 4,000 primary school children had been excluded for fixed periods in 2007-08.

This is the national equivalent to 25,128, a 6 per cent increase on last year, if extrapolated to cover the whole of England. Over the same period the primary school population fell by almost 20,000, so the real rise is 6.7 per cent.

More than three quarters of those who gave reasons said that one of the biggest causes of exclusion was the child physically assaulting another pupil. Another main reason was attacking a teacher.
June 15th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
I believe it. I dont know where the hell parents are, or how they are teaching their kids, but even younger kids are INSANE now.

Chy was beaten up in PRESCHOOL. I cant even imagine how it is in elem. No thank you.
June 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM
This is exactly why I'll never send Duncan (or any of my other children) to school. Can you imagine how they will tear him apart for wearing diapers
June 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Veteran
Part of the reason for this is because we have babies having babies.
A child can't raise another child.
June 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
Well, I have to desagree. I was 15 years old when I had Chyanne. Its not babies having babies...its the morals and values children have to begin with. I had her, and I took responsibility for her, and grew up and I think I have done a decent job.

I dont think the root problem with that type of situation is the age of the parents. I think its the morals and values(or lack there of) these young parents have, and children alike have. And that boils down to the parents generation and not passing these values down.

In rural countries, its not uncommon to get married and have babies at 13...but you dont see those children shooting up schools and beating each other up right?

I think we have gotten ahead of ourselves, and society as a whole needs to step back and start focusing on our kids and spending the time to instill the correct values instead of focusing on how much money a family can make, how big of a house you can get, or the parents career needs. But thats just my opinion.

Last edited by Tropicgal10; June 15th, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
June 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Nedene's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicgal10 View Post
Well, I have to desagree. I was 15 years old when I had Chyanne. Its not babies having babies...its the morals and values children have to begin with. I had her, and I took responsibility for her, and grew up and I think I have done a decent job.

I dont think the root problem with that type of situation is the age of the parents. I think its the morals and values(or lack there of) these young parents have, and children alike have. And that boils down to the parents generation and not passing these values down.

In rural countries, its not uncommon to get married and have babies at 13...but you dont see those children shooting up schools and beating each other up right?

I think we have gotten ahead of ourselves, and society as a whole needs to step back and start focusing on our kids and spending the time to instill the correct values instead of focusing on how much money a family can make, how big of a house you can get, or the parents career needs. But thats just my opinion.

I have to agree..

I was excited to sent dd to Preschool, until i was at playgroup one day when two boys and their mother came in. the oldest boy about my dd's age 2.5 ish, was getting into everything, dipping the paint brush in paint, and running around the room with it, and tons more of uncontrolable behavior. She made the comment about how he bites and doesn't listen to her but she hopes that will stop when he starts preschool. in 4months... Excuse me? Your going to send your uncontrolable child to a teacher who has children to teach ABC's and 123's to, and you want her to correct the behavior that you are allowing.. needless to say thats the day i started looking into homeschooling. I was just suprised that someone would expect someone else to correct bad behavoir in their child.. and basically drop the ball in raising their children..

June 15th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This is part of why I'm pulling DD. There is no excuse for her to get punched in Kindergarten and the same kid was doing worse to others with no punishment. It just isn't safe.

June 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM
4boys
Yup, it's terrible but I think Kathryne is right. People don't know how to train their children to be respectable little people who care about others. So they pass them off to others (daycares, preschools, schools, whoever) partially because they don't know what to do. It is so sad. Everyone loses.
June 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Veteran
Tropicgal10,

It is so good to hear that you took responsibity for your baby.
But 75% or MORE do not. I know and have seen alot of teenagers who do not have moral and values and because of that their kids do not.
But it is so good to hear that you do.
June 16th, 2009, 12:46 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanysia View Post
Tropicgal10,

It is so good to hear that you took responsibity for your baby.
But 75% or MORE do not. I know and have seen alot of teenagers who do not have moral and values and because of that their kids do not.
But it is so good to hear that you do.
I am also a "teen mom". my oldest was born when I was 17 and I took responsibility and grew up. I don't feel age plays as big as a factor as other issues, such as maturity, responsibility, and the willingness to work hard at being the best you can be. I know many teen moms who are some of the best moms I have met as well as women who waited until they were older who are great moms as well. There are also the moms who wait to have kids and aren't willing to take responsibility.

Parents who choose to allow their children to get away with things and pawn the problem off on others is the problem here, regardless of age. Parents need to teach their children that violence is NOT the answer, ever, and that unless they are defending themselves from a physical attack they should never cause harm to someone.
June 16th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The thing is, I feel sorry for the children. I used to work for a therapist office and one did mostly children's therapy and she always said she could see the problem by looking at the parents. These kids often are a reflection of their parents, and most of those parents are not and were not teenagers. Most are around my age (I'm 31) but thing Junior is perfect and can do no wrong.

Someone in one of my playrooms told how horrified she was to see some boys being mean to her 3 year old at preschool. They were 5 and the mother of one afterwards PRAISED them for not hitting the 3 year old even though he was "bothering" them (he just wanted to play with the train parts they weren't playing with, but they refused to share). What is that teaching those boys?

So often it's a problem with the parents, not the kids. Age really has nothing to do with it.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 16th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I knew a girl that had her first at 15 and she was completely devoted to her daughter. She grew up very quickly and became a wonderful parent. On the other hand I've known adults who have kids just because and then throw them into constant daycare and activities so they don't have to "deal with them." It isn't age, it's just who the person is.

June 16th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicgal10 View Post

I totally agree with you. I was also a teen mom when Duncan was born and there was no way I was going to hand him over to someone else to raise and instill their morals and values. Thats the problem with most societies, send your kids to school and let someone else raise them, its "easier" that way.
June 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
4boys
In some ways it probably is easier, but the results are disastrous. I was a teen mom myself, seems like there are quite a few of us here!
June 16th, 2009, 06:19 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just jumping in to say... another teen mom here (I turned 19 ten days before Austin was born)! Wow!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
June 17th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I had Duncan shortly after my 19th Birthday
June 17th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My nephew is one of those "violent" children. We're all in discussion as to what to do about his education (and therefore also my niece's) in the coming school year, because two weeks ago he was biting, hitting, punching, and kicking people at school. It was his summer care program, so it won't count on their physical aggression stuff for the school year, but even so, something needs to be done. He's a divorced, hurt, angry, frightened child, and he watches 12+ hours of mostly unsupervised television every week, so there are many contributing factors to his behaviour, and to top it off, he was in K-4, where he learned literally nothing the whole six months he was there, because HERE he is half-way through K-5 phonics, math, and handwriting. Actually, I think he's further in the handwriting, because all of a sudden he's doing his handwriting practise two pages at a time! Anyway... I'm currently trying to figure out how to pull off a schedule that might be satisfactory to all parties, because I want my time with my child, but I don't want to see him remain on "ADHD" meds, just because he is angry and hurt, and his mother doesn't know how to deal with him (the kid is NOT ADHD!!). So... anyway... yeah... we're back in discussions again...
June 17th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
People don't know how to take responsibility anymore. If Jr. does something it's not his fault, it's the ADHD, or any other number of things. Same with adults. People keep putting the responsibility on the next person and the next and the next, and the child is the one that gets hurt for it all. YOU had a child. YOU take care of him. If YOU see he has a problem, YOU discipline him and take care of it. Putting it off on daycare, school, relatives, a disease, or anything else only does the child a disservice.

June 17th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrocutie View Post
People don't know how to take responsibility anymore. If Jr. does something it's not his fault, it's the ADHD, or any other number of things. Same with adults. People keep putting the responsibility on the next person and the next and the next, and the child is the one that gets hurt for it all. YOU had a child. YOU take care of him. If YOU see he has a problem, YOU discipline him and take care of it. Putting it off on daycare, school, relatives, a disease, or anything else only does the child a disservice.
Ditto
June 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolenecmom View Post
Ditto
And in most cases this is true, however I do know that some medications cause a completel change in behaviour. My youngest is on steroids that are necessary. This causes him to have some behaviours he doesn't have when not on these meds. However the meds are not an option. We deal with the behaviour as it happens and when its at its worst (screaming at people if they even look at him) we have to make some changes to ease things knowing that his normal sweet self comes back within 24 hours of stoping these meds (he's on them in 5 days blasts). If he was older we would be able to do more to combat it, but when he was 6 months old and started this treatment (with 12 weeks at max dose) there wasn't much we could do except cope with it and help the entire family through the roid rage. Now he handles it better and we don't let him get away with grabbing everythign from the big kids and screaming at them just because its a steroid day, we never did, but we also didn't expect him to be perfectly sweet all the time.

Parents have to step up and handle their children, despite what is causing the behaviour. Yes it is easy to say "oh its the disease/meds/TV/friends etc... but the fact is our children have to learn to handle themselves despite outside influences.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search