LLATL question

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I am still leery about this program. If you have used it did you feel comfortable dropping separate grammar, spelling, and writing programs? I am just such a stick in the mud when it comes to using anything that is supposed to incorporate it all. I keep saying I am going to do unit studies but still can't bring myself to do it completely. LOL

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I've used it for two years, and I feel like it's a great program, but I do use separate spelling and grammar/writing programs. (Bob Jones Spelling and Shurley Grammar)
I think that it could be used by itself, as it really does cover everything, but there are only around five spelling words a week, and I feel it's a little skimpy in the writing skills department.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

June 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I did feel comfortable dropping all that but only because he's doing first grade (and he was technically only in K still) However, when we do it this fall I am adding spelling, writing, and vocabulary to the mix as well. We'll probably do grammar next year.

June 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I had no issues.. now come 4th grade I will reevaluate...
June 18th, 2009, 02:45 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
What grade are you looking to use? We enjoyed LLATL Blue, though I did use other phonics and writing programs. For 4th grade, it was more like a supplement than a core. The grammar lessons were sporadic, the meat of it was light, and it just didn't work for us. Bryce retained literally nothing - other than the fun book studies. We had to use CLE to really get into the Language Arts stuff. GWG, LLATL Orange, and WT2 were all bombs for us.
June 19th, 2009, 05:03 AM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
I am looking at 3rd grade. We have GWG sitting here, and FLLFTWC level 3, along with THe Complete Writer Level 3. I think I am just going to stick with these and see how they go for now.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 19th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really enjoy LLATL. The only thing I add in is spelling. The grammar works well for us. Jack has retained more grammar using LLATL than he did when we used PLL and GWG. Oh, and BJU for the short time we used that. LLATL is just a really good fit for Jack & Jared. Not sure about Justin yet. He'll be using the blue book this next school year, so we'll see how that goes. I haven't focused on writing too much yet. Jack will be doing more in 6th grade (probably Write Shop), but for now I actually like the gentle approach with LLATL. With my boys it seems better to gently ease into things so they'll retain it better. They catch on quick, but their retention is just better if I take a gentle approach, which is why LLATL works well for us.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search