Update on my niece

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well it was a very LONG labor! She went in to the doctor Wednesday morning to have her blood pressure checked because she's been having alot of trouble with it. Well when she was in there, the doctor went ahead and stripped her membranes. WHY do they do this?? Anyway, she ended up starting contractions on her own around 10am. Then they started pitocin around 1pm to start the induction. She was really progressing very very slowly. She had gotten a shot of demerol & fenergan (no clue why on that one since she wasn't even nauseated!) so it was going to be at least 4 hours before she could get an epidural, which she really wanted. On into the evening, the anesthesiologist had 2 back to back surgeries so it would be a couple more hours before he could do the epi, so they talked her into getting ANOTHER shot of demerol & fenergan, meaning it would be ANOTHER 4 hours before she could get the epi. By 9:30pm she was finally dialated to a 4 & they broke her water. After about 30 minutes she was asking for the epidural, but she had just had that shot & they told her she couldn't have the epi until 1:30am. Poor thing doesn't do well with pain. lol It was an interesting night. They checked her again around 11:15pm & she was still just a 4. So I left & decided I would just come back & see the baby this morning. I woke up at 5:30am & noticed I didn't have any messages on my cell. My sister was supposed to text me when there was any progress & when the baby was born. So since I didn't have any messages, I had to find out what was going on. She was STILL A 4!! At 5:30am! So I got up, got dressed, got Jacky off to work, got the boys fed & dressed, and we headed back up to the hospital. I got a text on the way, about 7am that she was still at a 4 and they were stopping the pitocin & discussing doing a c-section. I got there right at 7:30am, just 30 minutes after they stopped the pitocin. She was dialated to an 8! So she went from a 4 to an 8 within 30 minutes of stopping the pitocin. Oh, and she finally got her epi around 2am, but it wasn't really working except for numbing her legs. She went from an 8 to a 9 pretty quickly, like about 15-20 minutes? And then stayed at a 9 for 3 hours! The baby's heart rate kept dropping with every contraction, too. Once it dropped down to the low 50's and was having a hard time coming back up. But Kylie Machelle was finally born at 11:01 this morning after a very long & tiring 25 hour labor! She weighs 8lbs 2oz with a head full of dark black hair! She's so pretty. I'll share pics when I get them uploaded to my computer. I didn't get to take many because there were a lot of people in the room & then she was whisked away to the nursery after mom got to try nursing for a while. We were all ushered out during the nursing session. But I did get to hold her for a few minutes before getting shooed from the room. Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, & well wishes.

Now, I'll be calling on you ladies again pretty soon. I have another niece (sisters ) about to have her baby just any day now. She's already dialated to a 3.5 and 75% effaced!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

June 18th, 2009, 10:40 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Holy cow! And I thought my labors were bad. Man, I will NEVER complain again!!!! Your niece is a trooper! Congrats to your family on the addition of Kylie Machelle.
June 19th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! What an ordeal! Pitocin is an epi eater, the poor thing.

June 19th, 2009, 06:03 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats Auntie! My sis was in labor 24 hours without progressing before the dr's decided to do a c-section on her!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
June 19th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I forgot to mention that she was also on a magnesium drip for her high blood pressure & we later found out that it works against the pitocin. Kind of cancelling each other out. I can't wait to get back to the hospital soon & hold that precious little girl.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

June 19th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Wow, I am so not impressed with those docs. Yup, mag opposes pit sometimes. Poor thing was suffering through nasty pit contractions for nothing. But totally YAY for her body for showing them it knew what to do once the pit was turned off and could do it's thing. Congratulations!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 19th, 2009, 08:54 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Good grief! I'm so glad I never went through something like that. Sheesh!

Congrats!!
June 19th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I was wondering why they even gave her the pit in the first place when she was already having contractions on her own for 3.5 hours. Plus the fact that they knew she was on mag & that it could work against the pit. I also forgot to mention that the doctor she was seeing throughout her pregnancy & labor was not the doc who delivered the baby. The policy with the practice she was using is that no matter which doctor you're seeing, the on-call resident delivers the baby! NOT happy with that policy! What can I say? She's 18 & doesn't know much. Hopefully if she ever decides to have another baby she'll be a little more informed & wiser with some of her decisions.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

June 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
A huge congratulations!!!!
June 21st, 2009, 12:55 PM
Veteran
I'm sorry she had such a long and painful delivery. Hopefully she recovers fast is home in no time.
June 21st, 2009, 01:32 PM
They're going home today. The peds wanted to keep the baby an extra night because she was developing jaundice. We went to visit last night & she doesn't look bad. I couldn't even tell she was jaundiced except the tiniest bit of a yellow tinge on her chest.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

June 21st, 2009, 03:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
WOW! What a labor!! To be 18 and have a 25 hour labor....just wow!
Congrats to you and her though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search