Need advice on curriculum

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2009, 08:41 AM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am using Abeka for most everything but really wanted to use Sonlight for History and Science. Since its so expensive and I cant get all the books from the library I was wondering if I should just wait till next year to use Sonlight. I have the Abeka History and science book for my daughter to use it just doesnt seem meaty enough.

I actually found the Sonlight Science from a friend in my homeschool group that wants to sell her Science package for $75. It retails for 136 I think. This would be good but still need to find the history. She sold her history already. Ebay doesnt seem to be that much cheaper for the history package.

Since its so expensive what would you ladies do? My daughter will be in 2nd grade.

Thanks

June 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'd scrimp and save everything I could to go with Sonlight. It's an excellent curriculum and it is what you really want. Remember that if you wanted you could sell your Sonlight after using it for nearly retail as you are seeing on eBay.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 21st, 2009, 08:42 AM
Veteran
If your not able to buy the books now or do their finance option you could always look at what topic you want and see how much it is to buy book buy book?

HISTORICAL FICTION FOR CHILDREN
June 21st, 2009, 04:55 PM
Well after searching ebay for deals and trying to find a way to get a discount, I just dont think its going to work. So for us it would probably be best just to get the core 1 new and then the other 3 books you have to purchase for it. Anyhow with all of that and the science at a discount from friends, its going to be $460.98. Just for history and science. I just dont feel we can do that right now. So I think we have decided to wait till the following year to do Sonlight. I have mostly Abeka stuff that I got for a huge discount and I do have the science and history already here to use. I just have to spend about $100 more to get everything else I need for Abeka. So I think we will just do this for this year.

I love the looks of sonlight though and wish we could get it now. Next year we will probably do all Sonlight including lang arts. Unless I just love love abeka when we use it.

I am bummed but its better than putting a financial strain on ourselfs right now. I think I may add galloping the globe to it too for some extra stuff. Anyone use that?

June 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Have you checked around for any used sales in your area? Now is the time of year they usually hold them and I got a slightly older version of Sonlight Science 1 for $15!!

June 21st, 2009, 07:49 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Also try looking at homeschool classifieds.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

June 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
YEs I went to our homeschool sale and a lady did have sonlight but not the level I needed. No one else had any sonlight. I did pick up the abeka stuff from the sale though at a great price. I have searched alot of the classified adds and its just really that much cheaper. Sonlight seems to have an excellent resale value.

June 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
janaleigh's Avatar Member
We didn't love language arts through Sonlight. I would look into Excellence in Writing. We have been using it for several years now and I just love it. Both my sons are good writers and confident writers. They like writing ...weird huh?

I hope you are able to find your Sonlight. Try Used Homeschool Books Too
http://www.homeschooljungle.com
Orange County, CA
June 24th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
When did you use Sonlight LA? They changed the elementary LA completely a couple or three years ago. From people who have used both versions, the "new" is TONS better than the "old."

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search