Meeting with my son's psychologist

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Today my husband and I went to see my son's psychologist (Dr. Brewer) as a follow up to his testing. Currently he takes Vyvanse for his hyperactivity, that he gets from his psychiatrist. Well Dr. Brewer tried testing him off his medication and litterally couldn't get past a question or two in an hour. So the last two sessions she had him on his meds (thats also when we changed to the new med), and she got all the testing done.

So we were talking about his results and she said overall she'd place him in an average-bright level. She said that his language and vocab, and math were at a first grade level, even though he just finished Kindergarden. . She said that his reasoning skills are way above average and that his problem solving skills were up there two. But his scale, as in drawing were a bit off. He draws extra-large, and doesn't quite draw humans but still stick people. She said he is definantly a kenestic person, hands on everything!

So she said he will definantly continue to have problems in PS if we decide to put him back in, unless there is a chance and we get the luck of the draw on a good teacher...... Because the school is just going to see him as a problem child who gets ... bored....

I told her that we were thinking about home schooling and she hesitated a bit and then warmed up and in the end said that he wouldn't be able to actually succeed in PS untill atleast middle school and that she couldn't tell me that she thinks we should try home schooling... but that she thinks that we could be on the right track. Which is encouraging!

I'm leaning towards just going for it , but my family and husband are more so leaning towards trying 1st grade in PS and then pulling him out if it just doesn't look like its working. But really I just want to get everything and go!

He has no problem with doing work, he understands and he does it but he gets sooooooo bored, which inturn causes him to act out.

So anyways , when he gets back from the farm for the summer. He will be starting biweekly meetings with Dr. Brewer to see how he's progressing.

But I thought I'D share, I'm happy that his psychologist seems to be more than accepting to the idea that Nathaniel can benifit from home schooling. Yay!!

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

June 19th, 2009, 10:37 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Any idea why the doc hesitated when you mentioned home schooling? Do you think there's a 3rd alternative that wasn't discussed? Is she anti-homeschooling usually?

I'm glad he's doing so well! Sounds like he'll be fun to work with at home! I'm a hands-on person, too.
June 20th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I think maybe she just doesn't get asked that question often. she really doesn't liike the public School system here. I don't think she is anti-homeschooling, I just don't think she knows much about homeschooling. She admitted that she's never done it and doesn't think she could. It doesn't seem to be very popular here in Camden county, lol . She said that if we think we can do it, than he could mostlikely benefit from it. Because she is almost positive that he's not going to get much from PS, He is not on the same level as his age group and they arn't going to move him to a 'bright' class or anything different from the normal class because of his energy levels.

She never said anything that was negative about us home schooling, besides the initial hesitation. So maybe she just hasn't been asked that question, maybe the other parents she sees never suggested that they homeschool their own children to bypass the issues with the school system.

She didn't suggest a third option. In then end she seemed very warm to the idea of him being homeschooled. I had discussed some of the things we had already been working on to keep up his skills and she seemed to be happy with how we were working with him.

Its not that I'm looking for approval from her, I just wanted to get an outside opinion about my idea of homeschooling him. And having hubby there, it kind of warmed him up to the idea a little more than he had previously been about it.

June 20th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
Homeschooling is soooo much better for kids who get "bored". Public school wont change their learning rate for kids who learn quickly, so those kids tend to ger gicked to the side.
June 20th, 2009, 12:58 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Your ds sounds like Bryce at that age. PS was HELL until about 3rd grade and then the "pecking order" issues started with bullies and such. IMO, homeschooling is the best thing we could have ever done for him. Bryce is unmedicated at this point and is able to focus with redirection (sometimes he needs more than other times).

I hate that your dh and ILS seem to poo poo homeschooling until another failure is achieved by your son. That is NOT a great plan (read self esteem here).

Best of luck!
June 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I'm right there with you, I'm upset that I'm fighting with my hubby and parents about HSing Nathaniel.. Part of me just wants to do it... and not say anything else to them about it untill after we've started. lol I know that we could definantly cut out most of the bordem of school if we do HSing, he loves to learn he just needs it to be hands on.

June 20th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope your family comes around! The proof is in the pudding. Maybe you can talk your DH into a one year or half a year trial just to see how it goes? Then have the psychologist test him again to see how he's progressed! Couldn't hurt him, that's for sure!!

Best of luck with everything! Keep us updated on the situation!

June 21st, 2009, 12:50 PM
Veteran
I would try a trial run. Even if it's just over the summer.
June 22nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
Well I did pick up a summer activty book and we've been spending 1-1.5 hrs working on it each day and he is doing great! Some days he'd take it upon him self to do extra pages in the books.

So basicly our schooling at home currently consists of - A work book sheet (2 sided) that involves different subjects each day, he writes his Sight words 3x (usually 6 words a day) and we go over all his sight words, he reads 1 page from his chapter book (we read it twice to makesure we understand what was read since the first time he is sounding out some words), Then we do something like play Dominos, count with dice, count in 5s or 10s with beans, or do sight word bingo. Also some days we go over the continents with a map and flash card pictures, or do a science experiment.

So we do that daily (M-F) and he does wonderfully!! So I guess that kinda is proof that we can do it. .

June 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I hope you end up being able to homeschool him permanently. I am sure it would benefit him greatly.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search