CLP: Preschool Curriculum

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2009, 05:41 PM
m.and.a
Heather will be familiar with my saga. My 3 year old is set and registered to attend preschool next year, but I have cold feet. I'm not ready to make the decision to homeschool, but I know I want to limit her exposure to certain behaviors and ideas at this age. Our family is a conservative Christian one, and we stress kindness, purity, making good decisions, immediate obedience... all the things that I believe will made contrary in a school setting. Not to say that out of home schooling won't be an option for us at a later date, but right now, I'm thinking perhaps I should keep her at home, continue to disciple her, and not let her out into the worldly world until she has a more firm foundation in our families values.

I thought I'd take the opportunity to "practice" preschool. Tot school really isn't an option for us because I don't have the patience to order, design, and make projects at this time. I like to think that I use every day activities- such as making cookies- to educate her anyway. I'd like a more complete curriculum to give us a real idea of what homeschooling might be like.

The sonlight curriculum for P3 is well- an expensive reading list, so it's out. We read more books in a week that are in the entire trimester curriculum.

One other I've looked into is CLP. Any advice on this curriculum, or even CLP?

Preschool

I would use it in conjunction with Leading Little Ones to God

Any other curriculums you'd care to suggest?

Thanks!
June 21st, 2009, 06:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I remember you too! I think I was apart of the same DDC as you and Heather! Either that, or I've been around this board one too many times! LOL!

If you want free, there is always www.letteroftheweek.com
It could be a good place to start and then you could add more of whatever you like to it.

June 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
m.and.a
Your name is very familiar.

I looked into the LOTW, but I want a published, buy it curriculum.
June 21st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I personally really like the looks of the Horizon's Preschool curriculum (cheapest place to get it is through CBD), and we're planning to do that with Rebecca. My mum actually used the really early version with my sister and me (this is like 20+ years ago!) and she recommended it to me. It looks REALLY good, imo.

I haven't seen the CLP preschool books, because they're brand new this year, but I know I like a lot of their other stuff (not really a fan of their Bible stuff because it is often rather dry). I'm currently using CLP phonics, readers, and Hearts and Hands with my nephew for Kindergarten stuff, and depending on what happens this fall, we'll be using CLP phonics and readers with my niece and nephew, and a lot of ABeka stuff for the other stuff.
June 21st, 2009, 09:06 PM
m.and.a
What is CBD?

I just got a book off of Amazon that I'm eager to get my hands on- Mommy, teach me.. It's written by an ex-montessori teacher and mother of 12 with her opinion of why and how to do montessori style preschooling at home.

I hadn't realized CLP was brand new this year, I'll check out Horizon's.
June 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM
m.and.a
With the Horizon's- can you get the curriculum kit without the multimedia set, or must you get both to use the curriculum?
June 22nd, 2009, 04:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Christian Book Distributors, sorry.

CLP as a whole isn't new this year, just their preschool curriculum. They've been working on it for a few years, but it's only just been published for this coming school year (it looks pretty good from the samples I've been able to find, btw). If you're looking for quality with great cost-effectiveness, they're definitely the way to go!

From what I've seen of the horizons stuff, it looks like it can work without the media okay, but the media looks like a lot of fun, lol. The media is actually half the reason we're probably getting it because it's lots of the olllld stuff, like the "Music Machine" and stuff, just renamed/updated, and it looks really good (plus for the stuff you get in it, you can't beat the price of the media set, since buying one thing at a time is like $500 in the end...)
June 22nd, 2009, 05:33 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.and.a View Post
Tot school really isn't an option for us because I don't have the patience to order, design, and make projects at this time. I like to think that I use every day activities- such as making cookies- to educate her anyway.
What you are doing actually IS tot schooling! You homeschool already more than you think.

I don't have any experience with preschool programs other than Calvert. It was okay. For Fritz's stuff now I printed things off from on-line. I did the whole year at once so now it's just a pull out and hand it to him sort of thing.

We liked Leading Little Ones to God, except all the italics about drove me nuts lol

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 22nd, 2009, 06:14 AM
m.and.a
180 days of studying Creation seems a bit arduous to me, but that kind of curriculum is something I'm looking for. Maybe I'll go with a more secular curriculum and use our own Bible study and Leading Little Ones.
June 22nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We had Ben in preschool last year (dh's idea) for 4 months before I'd had enough and pulled him out. The only things he learned besides extremely bad behavior (attitude, hitting, foul language, etc.) were counting to 20 in spanish and the pledge of allegiance. It took quite a while to break the bad habits, but I finally have my sweet little boy back.

We don't have a published curriculum yet, although I plan on buying K5 from Abeka this year (he'll be 4 in Dec, but he's been reading since 23 months and is bored).

For Bible work, we're using the "Rainbow Lessons" series. There's an OT and a NT book. Each take you 1 year to finish, so you'll be through the whole Bible in 2 years. It's appropriate for 2 to 12 years because you make up age-appropriate lessons as you go along based on what they've provided. I love it because I'm able to do my own thing. For example, they talk about Abraham and Lot, but they completely left out the story of Abraham being told to leave his country without knowing where God would lead him. There are also very important chunks of the Jacob and Joseph stories that I've inserted myself. I really enjoy this series a lot!

For academics, I also do my own thing. I don't think I'm going to find a curriculum that fits him perfectly because his levels are all over the place. His reading/spelling is appx 2nd grade, his science is about 1-2 grade, his math is K-1, and his social studies is Prek-K. I use workbooks (the kind you find at walmart), and I check out books from the library that emphasize what he needs at the time. We've already gone through the starfall.com website, but that one was really fun while it lasted, too. He enjoys working on the computer, so I just bought the 2nd grade JumpStart program as well. We haven't had time to do it yet because we're so busy during the summer with the library's book club and stuff like that. We'll get back on schedule in late August after VBS at church is over.

Sorry for rambling. Hope that helps!

Oh... one other thing... if you decide to do the rainbow lessons, I'd like to suggest something that I stumbled onto by accident. For the first lesson (creation), I took 2 pieces of construction paper, folded them in half, stapled the edge, and made a little "book" for him. The title page had the title, memory verse, and his name, and then the remaining 7 pages talked about the 6 days of creation and the 7th day of rest. I drew pictures, and I wrote at the bottom what it was. He picked up on that format so well that I've made a little "book" for every single lesson now. He LOVES to pick out the two colors for the book and help me make a new one each week. It amazes me how many verses of the Bible he's learned (not just memorized) as well. He knows more than I do from these lessons.

Last edited by BensMom; June 22nd, 2009 at 07:35 AM.
June 22nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
4boys
I have liked everything I've used from CLP but I haven't used their preschool stuff. Another one that a lot of people like is Rod & Staff's preschool books. They are pretty cheap too. Here is a link: Preschool - Complete Set of ABC Series + G @ Rod and Staff Books

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search