DD may be a challenge...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been giving DD things to do over the summer. Just worksheets and stuff that I'm finding here and there. The thing is she's supposed to start first grade in August and she's doing second grade stuff. I have no idea how to put together a curriculum for her when she's doing stuff a grade ahead of the one she's going in to.

June 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
grunig's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to grunig Send a message via Yahoo to grunig
Most of us have kids like that here. Talen in reading on a 4th-5th grade level, writing on a 2nd grade, but his Math is on 3rd grade. We use an upper elementary/middle school level textbook for Science and he grasps that. Part of the point in homeschooling is to be able to cater to their differing developmental levels. This is one of the reasons many of us here don't use a boxed curriculum. Though I think you can work around it even if you go with a boxed curr. You just need to figure out which level she is at for each area and then pick and choose from there.

Mom to Talen, Trent, and Thorne

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waAmfrF/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
June 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Veteran
Miguel like's to read 9-12 age group, Math is about 3rd-4th grade, but writing is barely 1st. Are you buying curriculum or are you building it completely? If you are getting a boxed curriculum you can add more advance things to it or if you are piecing it together you can usually test what level she is on.

One of the things that help me not stress what level he's on is that I get one of those all in one learning books each year found at wal-mart, k-mart or target from what ever grade he's suppose to be in and let him go through that when I run out of school stuff. So no matter what I know he can preform with his "peers".
June 23rd, 2009, 05:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm giving her stuff throughout the summer and plan on building something around her. She's already diving into science and history which the public school wouldn't touch for a couple more years. If she's interested though I see no reason not to start on it.

June 23rd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My kids are "off" from the grade they'd be in in public school. We ignore those grades and go at their pace.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I'm going to try a boxed curriculum this year (Abeka K5 for my 3 year old), but I don't know that I'll stay with that in the future. Ben's also on varying levels for all the subjects (2nd for reading, Prek for writing, k-1 for math, 1 for science, prek for social studies). I just want to see him go through a real "grade level" before venturing out on my own, because many in my family don't agree with homeschooling. If they see him do a real curriculum, maybe they'll be ok with it?
June 23rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
Duncan's like that, he is in 1st grade but doing 2nd grade math. Its a challenge sometimes.
June 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
David is like this as well. Going into 2nd grade but his work is all different grade levels. Once we pick what curriculum we want we will test him in each subject for placement. For the summer we're going to be doing that and letting him lead everything, for the most part.
June 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My niece is currently working on a complete gr. 2 book, though I think some of it is beyond her (the math), and some of it is way below her (reading/spelling) but the reading comprehension is perhaps beyond her, and the grammar is right on target for her... depending on what happens for the fall, I know we'll be continuing where we left off with the gr. 1 ABeka math, and her gr. 1 penmanship stuff (penmanship has deteriorated immensely), but probably go to 2nd grade English stuff. But, of course, this is dependent on whether DH's family decides to come up with a way to work with my needs and requirements, because I'm not doing another thing like last year...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search