Heather or anyone using Sonlight-Big question

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am talking with someone in my homeschool group that uses sonlight and she said if I am just doing there history and science that I do not need to purchase the readers. She said all I needed was the read alouds. Is this correct? I will be doing Lang arts with Abeka and just need history and science with sonlight.

I thought you needed both the readers and the read alouds for the history program.

Thanks

June 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For the Science curriculum I have, I don't need the readers, just the read alouds so I think she may be correct. However, Heather is our expert on all things Sonlight so I would wait for her response.

June 23rd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
She is correct. The readers come with the core because even without the language arts IG they make a more complete core program, but you do not NEED them.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Ok this may mean I can go with sonlight then. I searched on the library catalog for just the read alouds and they have most of them. They didnt have 3 of them but had 2 for the 5 day schedule so I can just swap out on those. (They only had 8 of the readers but since I dont need this then that wont be a problem)

So I would have to purchase the History for 78.84 and then a IG for 57.50. Then a schedule right? What about those other 3 books for history that are not included with the history? Book of time,usborne world history, and a childs history of the world? Are these a must? If so that would be another 75.98. So I guess we are still looking at $212.32. THe core package comes with the IG,history books,readers and read alouds for 294.50 but then you would still have to add the 75.98 for those other 3 history books. Ugggghhh this still seems to expensive. LOL

Oh well thanks for letting me think aloud with this post.

June 23rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'm confused by what you wrote so I'll list what you need lol I think you have it right, though.

History 4-day - History Program 1 - Four Day : Sonlight Curriculum (78.84)
Instructor's Guide - Core 1 Instructor's Guide : Sonlight Curriculum (57.50)
The Usborne Book of World History - The Usborne Book of World History Jenny Tyler, Anne Millard : Books : Sonlight Curriculum (24.99)
A Child's History of the World - A Child's History of the World Hillyer : Sonlight Curriculum (28.00)
The Usborne Time Traveler - The Usborne Time Traveler Judy Hindley (Editor), Philippa Wingage (Editor), Stephen Cartwright (Illustrator), Toni Goffe (Illustrator) : Books : Sonlight Curriculum (22.99)
- Those three are absolutely required for Core 1. They are not included in the packages because they are used in Core 1+2 and Core 2 as well so someone buying a core two years in a row would get them twice. They make up the spine of the history instruction. For some reason the Time Traveler is not listed on the Core 1 required resources pages, but having just completed Core 1 I can tell you it is used in that core.
You do not HAVE to have the Book of Time. You can use any timeline you'd like. We use it and like it (it's used in every Sonlight core - the same one - so I will not have to ever buy another one for Ani and Cameron). If you want one, it is here - Book of Time A blank time line from 5,000 B.C. to the Present! : Sonlight Curriculum (22.99)
I do not use the markable map and instead prefer a regular map to find places.

That is the $212.32 you came up with (235.31 if you get the Book of Time).

Including the Core discount (you get free shipping and 10% off for a year once you've bought a core), Core 1 is $294.50 plus $68.38 for the three books (89.07 if you get the Book of Time) for a total of 362.88 (or 383.57).

Smaller on the Outside

June 23rd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks Heather. This is over $300 just for one subject though. That is what gets me. This doesnt include science or anything else. Ugggghhh I dont know how you guys do it. I guess if I had my other one in school it would be more cost effective.

Thanks for laying it all out.

June 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM
Because Sonlight is literature-based "one subject" is kind of fluid. It's social studies as well as literature and some language arts and even technically a tiny bit of science. With a literature based approach you kind of have to forget about subjects and looks at it as education. The core includes the readers which is almost everything you need for language arts (just need the IG if you don't opt to do the consumable workbooks). Science at the early elementary age can be done just through natural learning. I'd rather do it that way, but Cameron loves science and really wanted a curriculum. The only other thing you need is math.

The way we do it is we put $75 per paycheck (so just under $2,000 a year) into an account for our school budget. Then we use that money as needed to buy curriculum, for field trips, school supplies, etc. It makes it easy for us because we don't have to come up with a big lump sum at one time.

The way I figure it the amount we spend on school-related things is a whole heck of a lot less than private school and not even too bad compared to public school when you factor in new clothes (we get all our kids' clothes at the thrift store) and school supplies and field trips and other mandatory costs of a "free" public education.

Smaller on the Outside

June 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
Yes I think the way to go with Sonlight is to do all subjects through them instead of trying to get half of a curriculum from someone else like I am doing. LOL I still have to buy alittle over $100 worth of items from abeka to make a complete, phonics,writing,reading and lang arts plus math program.

Saving money out of each paycheck is a great way to do it. Since this will officially be our first year we have not had time for that. Will start doing that for sure.

I think I have pretty much decided to just go with Abeka for this year since I have so much of it already that I got at the curriculum sale and others. I already have science and history through abeka. I got both for $10. I think I would add galloping the globe to it though. I also have tons of little readers from Saxon phonics from last year that my daughter can still get good use from plus all the abeka readers.

I will save up throughout this year and then go with Sonlight next year. My younger one will be in Kindergarten then and then Jaden will be in 3rd grade. Is it possible to teach them together with sonlight with this difference in age? Also would I still need to get sonlight 1 and science one for Jaden if she is in 3rd grade or should I move to sonlight 2? I would like to teach both girls together but since there is a 3yr age difference not sure it would work.

Thanks so much for all your help and I will for sure be going with sonlight the next year after this one.

Last edited by brandimomof2; June 23rd, 2009 at 04:02 PM.
June 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
janaleigh's Avatar Member
We have used Sonlight for 6+ years. Although it is expensive it is an amazing education. One thing to remember...resale value. Each year I have purchased a new core and been able to resell it at the end of the year on Ebay for at least 75% of what I paid for it. 2 kids used the program so on a per kid basis-Sonlight is an incredible value.
http://www.homeschooljungle.com
Orange County, CA
June 24th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Many people do Sonlight with a 3 year age difference. You'd need language arts and math at their levels, but everything else can be together. First thing, don't think about Sonlight Cores as grade levels. I kind of wish they'd do away with numbering the cores and do something like Math-U-See and label them by letter or something (MUS does alpha, beta, gamma, delta, etc.). I am doing Core 2 with my going into 3rd grade son and going into 4th grade daughter right now. Non language arts and math subjects are so varied around the country as to what is "grade level" that it doesn't really matter what they are learning when. For example, in the city we lived in when we first moved to VA, US history was done in 2nd grade, but the county we moved to later, it was done in 3rd. We moved 10 miles. Due to your older one going to be in 3rd grade, I'd probably consider going with Core 1+2, but it would still be fine doing Core 1. While we were doing Core 1, there was someone who posted regularly on the Core 1, 2, 1+2 forum that used Core 1 with her 6 and 9 year olds (age at start of Core). I'd go with whichever science "matches" the Core number for simplicity (Core 1 and Science 1 or Core 1+2 and Science 2).

Smaller on the Outside

June 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
That sounds good. I cant wait to save up enough to get the program next year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search