This is why I homeschool....

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
If I found out my child had to remove her underware infront of a principal, I would be in jail now for assult. I dont care WHY it was done, just the fact it was done period w/o parents knowlege of consent!

Not violating the childs rights? Bull ****! Public school systems strip the kids of any rights.

Its the same crap as when Chyanne was beat up in preschool and when I went to the courts to sue, I was told "they are immune to lawsuits". Absolutely disgusting.

Strip Search Ruling

WASHINGTON (June 25) - The Supreme Court ruled Thursday school officials violated an Arizona teenage girl rights by strip-searching her for prescription-strength ibuprofen, saying U.S. educators should not force children to remove their clothing unless student safety is at risk.
In an 8-1 ruling, the justices said that Safford Middle School officials violated the Fourth Amendment ban on unreasonable searches with their treatment of Savana Redding. However, the court also ruled that the Arizona school officials cannot be held financially liable for their search.
Redding was 13 when the educators in rural eastern Arizona conducted the search. They were looking for pills — the equivalent of two Advils. The district bans prescription and over-the-counter drugs and the school was acting on a tip from another student.
Skip over this content

The school's search of Redding's backpack and outer clothes was permissible, the court said. But the justices said that officials went too far when they asked to search her underwear.
A 1985 Supreme Court decision that dealt with searching a student's purse has found that school officials need only reasonable suspicions, not probable cause. But the court also warned against a search that is "excessively intrusive."
"What was missing from the suspected facts that pointed to Savana was any indication of danger to the students from the power of the drugs or their quantity, and any reason to suppose that Savana was carrying pills in her underwear," Justice David Souter wrote in the majority opinion. "We think that the combination of these deficiencies was fatal to finding the search reasonable."
Redding said she was pleased with the court's decision. "I'm pretty excited about it, because that's what I wanted," she said. "I wanted to keep it from happening to anybody else."
"The court's decision sends a clear signal to school officials that they can strip search students only in the most extraordinary situations," added her lawyer, Adam Wolf of the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation.
In a dissent, Justice Clarence Thomas found the search legal and said the court previously had given school officials "considerable leeway" under the Fourth Amendment in school settings.
Officials had searched the girl's backpack and found nothing, Thomas said. "It was eminently reasonable to conclude the backpack was empty because Redding was secreting the pills in a place she thought no one would look," Thomas said.
Thomas warned that the majority's decision could backfire. "Redding would not have been the first person to conceal pills in her undergarments," he said. "Nor will she be the last after today's decision, which announces the safest place to secrete contraband in school."
The court also ruled the officials cannot be held liable in a lawsuit for the search. Different judges around the nation have come to different conclusions about immunity for school officials in strip searches, which leads the Supreme Court to "counsel doubt that we were sufficiently clear in the prior statement of law," Souter said.
"We think these differences of opinion from our own are substantial enough to require immunity for the school officials in this case," Souter said.
The justices also said the lower courts would have to determine whether the Safford United School District No. 1 could be held liable.
A schoolmate had accused Redding, then an eighth-grade student, of giving her pills.
The school's vice principal, Kerry Wilson, took Redding to his office to search her backpack. When nothing was found, Redding was taken to a nurse's office where she says she was ordered to take off her shirt and pants. Redding said they then told her to move her bra to the side and to stretch her underwear waistband, exposing her breasts and pelvic area. No pills were found.
A federal magistrate dismissed a suit by Redding and her mother, April. An appeals panel agreed that the search didn't violate her rights. But last July, a full panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals found the search was "an invasion of constitutional rights" and that Wilson could be found personally liable.
Justices John Paul Stevens and Ruth Bader Ginsburg dissented from the portion of the ruling saying that Wilson could not be held financially liable.
"Wilson's treatment of Redding was abusive and it was not reasonable for him to believe that the law permitted it," Ginsburg said.
The case is Safford Unified School District v. April Redding, 08-479.

Last edited by Tropicgal10; June 25th, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
June 25th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry...they strip searched her for two advils??! And we have school shootings, and real drugs running ramapant...nice.

June 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy

That is horrible!
June 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I used to keep tylenol and advil with me at all times. Back then, teachers were more interested in academics. Sheesh!
June 25th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
I remember being in highschool, and my friend (who went to a Christian school) complaining to me about AF cramps.. and her telling me that she was not allowed to have motrin in her locker or in her backpack! It's so rediculous..
June 25th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
That is insane!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
I remember when I was a kid, the VP was very wierd and harrassed me. She would call me into her office and talk about sex, and go through my locker, and even one time broke into my house when I was not in school (yes I skipped) and drove me into class. I was in the hospital for something, and had 3 or 4 IV marks on my arms. She called my mom and police saying I was doing heroin (I didnt even do drugs). My mom gave her a ear full because she knew what they were from.

At one point she also made me dump my purse and forced me to "clean it out". And not looking for anything, just to clean gum wrappers and what not out of it.
She did the same thing the principal did to a friend of mine. Made her strip naked looking for pot.

School officials are way out of control. If a parent forced their own 13 yr old girl to strip naked the parent would be looked into for abuse. But its OK for a stranger to do it as long as they are in a school office?
June 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Reading that makes me want to vomit.
June 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's government run, what do you expect? When the ones doing it are making the rules, they can break them right?

June 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That poor girl, how embarrassing and how can they say school officials are immune!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
June 27th, 2009, 08:52 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
RETROCUTIE, you took the WORDS right out of my MOUTH! What do we expect from people who are paid even if they are found guilty of abusing a child sexually? They sit in a special building with pay!

You get what you pay for, oh wait, it's free.

June 28th, 2009, 07:09 AM
broxi3781's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is simply beyond belief. I dont think they would go that far here.
They should have been charged with indecent asualt on a minor. At least you can sue here if they do something horrible enough..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search