Gulp! Here I am!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
My intro.. hehe..

Let me start off by saying that I never thought in my wildest dreams I would be HS'ing.. In fact, I swore I wouldn't because I myself am a HS graduate(from 4th-12th).. and, I know my mom did her best, but, I was the first out of 5 to HS, and I was her 'guinea pig' I guess you can say, and I always felt as tho I missed out on a ton! I talk to her about HS'ing, and ofcourse she is thrilled. She is still HS'ing.. my brothers who are 15,12, and 10 so, she's still got a ways to go yet, but as I said already.. the way my mom HS is not the way I desire to.

I have now learned that I didn't really miss out on as much as I probably think I did, and my big issue was (as with most non-hs'ers) is that my kids be socialized enough. But, I now have realized that they can indeed have that!!!

So, here we are! I have two boys. Clay is 5 and will be starting kindergarden. Carson is 3 and he is autistic. We had every intentions of them going to public school, Clay in kindergarden and Carson in an ESE class for k-3 so he could still recieve services he needs. But due to some changes in our life,and the ESE class now NOT having a spot for him.. we're just keeping them both at home this year.
Carson is going to be able to recieve home services one more year via medicaid (thank goodness!) but, I'm sure at some point he will become interested in wanting to 'do school' like brother

My MAIN question is reading. Now, I was raised in a christian home, and while we do not go to church, we do believe in God, and dh and are not opposed to chrisitan curriculum, but not oppsed to 'secular' either
I am looking for something that is SUPER laid out for me. I like the looks of Abeka for this very reason. but, again, I am open to any suggestions you may have for me!

What about the other subjects? I know the main core of K is to get them reading if they aren't already. Clay is 1/2 there I'd say. He knows what the sounds the letters make, but we haven't really gotten into blends or anything like that yet.
Ok! I think this post is long enough!
TIA for all your help and advice, and I look foward to getting to know you HS mommas!
June 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I just bought the K5 Abeka curriculum today. It should be here (so they say) in about 3 weeks. I was able to look through the books briefly at the display, and I think they look great for beginners.
June 25th, 2009, 01:44 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
The first thing you might want to do is sit down and really decide what it was about the way your mom homeschooled that you don't want to repeat. Was it busy work? Not enough outside activity, etc. Making the change that you feel is necessary to be unlike your mom sounds like an important one for you to make before you start homeschooling. For you sake and your sanity, make sure your heart is in it this year and make any changes you need up front.

As far as curriculum, I used Calvert for a bit when I wanted something laid out and "in a box." I dropped it after 8 weeks because I realized my kids weren't "in a box" type kids. My youngest was well advanced in most areas, so Kindergarten work, for us, was a waste and a repeat for him. We started into 1st grade when he was hardly 5 (around Christmas) and I still couldn't label him as "all 1st grade." My older has the same issues - he does 3rd grade language arts, but 5th grade math. He's just finished 4th grade. LOL

The advantage you have is that your kids are both just starting out and you know what they know and such. My oldest was coming from ps and that made it hard.

Another option for laid out, but not boring is Heart of Dakota. We are using it this year for History and Science and the readers are incredible! You choose your own Language and Math. It is a Christian curriculum and there is Christian content in HOD whereas Calvert is secular.
June 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I used Winter Promise for Kdg Reading. It was all scheduled for me and I think it was a good, thorough program.

Welcome back to homeschooling! I think you'll enjoy it from this side of things. I wish you could talk to my 10 yr old dd. She feels like you did- like she is missing out on so much by homeschooling. She is begging us to let her go to school in the fall. For now, it is still on the table...

Anyway, please feel free to ask whatever questions you have! This is a very helpful group! :-)

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
June 25th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Thanks mommas!
Rebecca,
I would say the one thing that I disagree with the most where my mom is concerned is her lack of involvement. We were the HS kids that got left at home to do school while our 'teacher' was out shopping, having lunch dates with friends, etc.. Probably another reason while going through it, I felt as if I was missing out on so much. Here I was 'stuck at home' and all my friends that went to school got to do this and that.. etc..

Thanks for the suggestions thus far! I have alot of research to do!
June 25th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
It sounds like your mom wasn't really homeschooling you, but giving you assignments and leaving you to fend for yourselves. I was homeschooled, too, and it was NOT like that at all for me. I did stuff with other homeschoolers as well as public schooled kids. I even went to high school dances with friends!

The curriculum we chose is Sonlight and it requires a lot of parental involvement because it is literature based. I enjoy doing school with my kids.

There are a lot of curriculum choices out there since you are open to religious or secular. The first thing I'd do is look at how your kids learn best and what sort of budget you're planning on.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
You can go on a field trip every day if you want to. I always hated being "stuck at school" and always wondered what was happening in the real world.
June 25th, 2009, 02:20 PM
4boys
Learn to Read at Starfall - teaching comprehension and phonics has a learning to read program. They have printable ABC worksheets for colouring and letter practice, or you can just click through the site learning letters or reading the very easy stories. I don't think there is any real lesson plans though so that might be a downer for you. But it's free! This is basically what I've used to teach my kids to read.
June 25th, 2009, 03:10 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to you to the group! Sorry, I'm of no help since I am new to homeschooling myself... I plan to start this coming year with my 13 year old son in 8th grade. I can say that this board is awesome though so I'm sure you'll find all the help you need on here!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
June 25th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
I'm liking the looks of HOD!
I like Calvert as well, but, it's a little too expensive for our budget right now
June 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would look at how your son learns best. Is he into sitting, gluing, cutting and colouring? Or is he more a bounce around type? Does he respond and learn best from doing, workbooks or maybe music?
We have used a conglomeration of things for reading. Alphabet island phonics is one of the programes we have used. It uses rhymes and stories to help learn phonic rules. Each letter is given it's own character.
Leap pad letter and Word Factory dvds went down well here. My daughter is very visual. Again the letters are like characters. She responds to creative/imaginary stuff.
Starfall is a great site, my daughter loves that too.
Now I just look online for more practice, find more early readers and games. My daughter is 7 and needs a lot of repetition and no one program has near enough for her.

My son is quite different. Much more auditory. His favorite would be the Leap pad fridge phonics. Ds 4 is very different to dd. He already knows most of his letters through the Leap pad videos and fridge phonics. He has some aspergers symptoms but not enough to be labeled.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
June 25th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
He loves to sit and do seat work, cut, paste,write, etc..

I was RE looking at the HOD, and I think the only issue we may have is that math is WAY too easy for him..
June 26th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Veteran
I just wanted to say welcome.
June 26th, 2009, 08:51 AM
ilovemy3wikids
Welcome!! We use secular and for Kinder we used saxon Math 1, Saxon phonics K, and used step into reading books to get her reading
June 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Also, if you like one curriculum except for the math, switch it out!

I used "The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading" with my first. And Abeka's Language Arts for my baby!

July 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Thanks for all your warm welcomes!
I am officially overwhelmed!

I am PRETTY sure what I have decided on.. ..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search