Song School Latin

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So I finally downloaded the samples from the website and I must say I am impressed! It looks fun and easy! The lessons are super short but teaches them words that kids would want to know and can use everyday for practice. I love that.

I asked DH lastnight about teaching DS a language and he really wants me to teach him something like Japanese- (DH goes to Japan every year on business so the hope is he can take us all one day and then DS would know some of the language) But I can't for the life of me find anything FUN and for younger ages. Everything I find is for High School and above.

So now I'm going back and forth...do Latin (fun) or find something for Japanese or another language(I'm struggling, can you tell?) The total bummer is, it's not like Japanese is a latin based language so it would be completely useless to do latin if we're going to switch to Japanese later, KWIM? But then again, it's not like he can only do ONE language his entire school career. But I don't want to confuse him either.

DS has also expressed an interest in Spanish which I took in High School, but we have no opportunities down the road for using that in real life. We live in an area with very little spanish speaking people. Although that can obviously change.

We also have a grandparent who is straight from Italy- so Italian is also an option. I think that would be so fun if he could talk to her. THEN he could use that in real life occasionally.

My son is one of those kids who won't do stuff if he doesn't see the point to it. (Just like his father!!) So that's why I'm looking for a language with more real life application.

Sigh...

I just REALLY REALLY like Song School Latin! LOL!
Does anyone have any other great recommendations for other languages?

June 25th, 2009, 01:07 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Sorry. I dunno! I think Japanese would be cool, but around here, everyone is doing spanish and mandarin (chinese). I'd go with Latin, personally. It leads to SO many other languages, so IMO, it's useful for ALL subjects. I mean, look at the root words of things he'll learn in science, for example. There's lots of latin in prefixes, suffixes, and so forth. I didn't have latin as a kid, but I remember my 10th grade anatomy/physiology teacher did the coolest thing... she taught us all the pre/suffixes for science words before ever starting on the body itself. It made the class a BREEZE! I still remember most of those words today, and if I were to go into medicine, I'd know even more. Literature, social studies ... they all have latin root words in them.

Ok... enough of that. You just asked a simple question.
June 25th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We liked SSL. We finished it a couple months ago. Doing Latin is never a waste even if you do Japanese later. It will help with English. When I was in nursing school, those who knew Latin had a MUCH easier time with things.

I don't know of any Japanese programs for young kids. I've seen some Spanish and French for littles, but I can't think of any others.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'll talk to DH. The SSL is just too cool to pass up. Plus, it's only like one lesson a week- or even lots of little lessons throughout the week. It's something we could really sneak in at anytime, not just "school" time. Plus, I love the songs that go with each lesson with the new words and all. I already know the first 4-5 words just by reading through the lessons! Guess I'd learn a thing or two doing this as well!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search