Bought my curriculum today! Ben's SUPER excited!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2009, 02:16 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ok, so I bought the K5 Abeka kit plus social studies, science, music, and art. I was able to look through the books at the display, so I got a better idea of what they'll really teach. My thoughts...

Is it just me, or is the God's World science book REALLY lame? It seems extremely easy... like something we'd read before bedtime a couple of times, and he'd know it all? Have any of you used anything really challenging for K science? He LOVES science!

The reading stuff was way, way below his level, but the writing stuff was perfect, so it evens out. I went ahead and got the cursive one. He said he wanted to try it, and hey, if it doesn't work out, I can always teach him print myself.

What are your thoughts on the Readiness book? I didn't get that one because it looked just like a million other workbooks we've already got.

The social studies book looked great. It'll be fun to expand on the lessons.

I didn't get any of the Bible stuff. We've already started a Bible curriculum that will last him at least 2 more years (and then I'll start over including Daniel in our study, because he'll be nearly 3 by then.)

I also didn't get any of the "extras" that are sold separately from the kit. Are there any I should've picked up? Any I'll need but can't recreate myself?
June 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
I can't really speak to any of the curriculum as I don't use Abeka, but Congrats! on getting your curriculum. Honestly, I think curriculum choice is the hardest part of homeschooling.
June 25th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Ok, so I just found the Sonlight K science program, but WHOA is it ever EXPENSIVE?! Looks cool, but sheesh! I only paid $250 for his entire curriculum. I think dh would hit the roof if I paid an extra $100 just for science.
June 25th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Clay and Carson's mommy
Thanks for giving your opinions! It is really helpful to me! I was considering the science as well, but, I'm thinking Clay would probably be bored with it..

my mom has done sonlight before.. remember, you can get books at the library!
June 25th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Sonlight Science has been totally worth it! I don't LOVE it, but then I'm of the opinion that science at this age should kind of just be natural learning but my kids, especially my son, have other ideas. I like it way better than any of the cheap early elementary science programs. Real Science 4 Kids and Noeo Science look good, but I think they are even more expensive than Sonlight. With science curricula you really do get what you pay for IMO.

Congratulations on ordering your curriculum!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 25th, 2009, 03:22 PM
WOW! NOEO looks wonderful, but to get bio, chem, and phys would cost $454!! It would last till 3rd grade, though, I imagine? I don't know if they expect you to do all 3 in a year or one at a time. Looks like 1 at a time to me... so ... $150/yr?
June 25th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Have you thought about apologia science? I'm not sure how much it is though.

The whole reason I didn't want to do Abeka science was because it looked WAY too easy. My son is already doing 2-3rd grade science experiments and that would be a major step back. He'd be totally bored.

I did have the readiness book at one point and I felt the same as you do. It was exactly like every other workbook I could have gotten elsewhere. Like at the dollar section at target! Not worth it in my opinion! Good thing I got it used or I would have had major buyers remorse!

I think you did great! I hope you both enjoy it!

June 26th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Veteran
I like the new edition singapore science. It's light but packed with tons of information but cheap. However we have just use the text book for 3-6 curriculum. You could also see if you like the complete book of series their work-texts are about $10-15.
June 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know nothing about Abeka. So no help there. Science has been the hardest thing for me to find for my kids. We're going to give NOEO a try this year. I got the Bio I. Just looking through it, it looks like something my kids will really enjoy. It is a little light for my oldest, but I think I can amp it up a bit for him.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

June 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad you were able to look at the books! I feel the same way you do about the same things.

I used the "Complete Book of Science" series you can get at a bookstore. I still do to add on, because they love it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search