Introduce Yourself!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! And incredible start!
December 2nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
AprilJanellieBellie's Avatar Keepin Busy
Name: April

Grade and/or age of your children: Liberty (4) Kindergarten

What do you hope to get out of this board? Answers & Support

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I am still learning, Chrystal has answered so many questions for me, I think she is the perfect person to co host this board.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? I am still looking into everything. It looks like you have to file as a private school

Anything else? I am not completely sure that I have the patience to do it. Some days, I think I can & some days I really wonder
December 4th, 2009, 10:20 PM
~hsingtreehouse~
Name: Rebecca

Grade and/or age of your children: 10/5th grade, 6/1st grade

What do you hope to get out of this board? I hope to be able to help others who are starting out.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I use lots of different things. Some of my favorites are ETC, CLE, R&S, Pentime, DWN, and HOD.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? 180 days a year, 4 hours a day. You have to have a Bachelor's or above to teach highschool.

Anything else? I am not around often, but I do check in. I have been posting here for the last 2.5 years now. Ds6 was homeschooled since birth, ds10 was pulled from ps after 3rd grade and this is his second year at home.
December 19th, 2009, 06:01 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Name: Tara

Grade and/or age of your children: 1st grade, kindergarten, 2 yo, 1 yo

What do you hope to get out of this board? Advice, ideas, recommendations, support!

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Literature-based for geography, history, etc. Workbook (MCP) for Math, and Horizons penmanship for writing. I'm trying to find a new reading program I like.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? I live in New York State so I have to do IHIPs and quarterly reports.

I'm a Christian, like crafts (card-making, crochet, and sewing). Thinking about joining the Catholic Church. Married 7 years.
January 11th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Name: Nichole

Grade and/or age of your children: Makenzie 10y/o 5th grade; Jackson 9y/o 3rd grade

What do you hope to get out of this board? Ideas, support and hoping to make a few friends that understand the joys and challenges of homeschooling.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I really enjoyed Landmark Baptist for language. I am always open to new ideas since my kids interests seem to change all the time.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? We have to turn in intent forms and take a state test in grades 3-9.

February 11th, 2010, 10:48 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Name: DaLynn

Grade and/or age of your children: three boys ages 10 (5th-ish), 6 (1st-ish), and 5 (Kish), plus EDD 9.26

What do you hope to get out of this board? friends!!

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I call it "purposefully Christian and classically eclectic"

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Wonderful world of TX - nope, not really!

Anything else? I'm an information junkie (it's kinda like a curriculum junkie, only on a budget ) and love to help newbies or anyone asking about a specific curriculum or looking to find what might fit their style, etc. Feel free to msg me!
February 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Name: Hillarie

Grade and/or age of your children: My oldest will be 6 next month so he's in Kindergarten(we started last fall). Im also working a bit with my 3 1/2 and 2 yr olds

What do you hope to get out of this board? Ideas mainly and support occasionally when I feel at a loss.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? No particular style, we are not doing a set curriculum.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Not til they are 7 yrs old then its state law for them to be in school or I have to sign them as homeschooled and do their calendars and schedules and turn them in and stuff like that. Until they are 7, the state doesnt care.

Anything else? Ill probably be more of a lurker to be honest. Im still new and figuring it out and what works for us. My son is very curious and never stops asking questions and is also very low in the attention category. We are lucky to get through 15-20 mins of anything before he is just "done".

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
February 23rd, 2010, 10:01 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Name: Nicole

Grade and/or age of your children: 13 doing 7th grade 16 months

What do you hope to get out of this board? Friends

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Currently in Alpha Omega

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? There are standards however I don't have to track or report them.

Anything else?

February 24th, 2010, 06:21 AM
mom2mande's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Name: Tami

Grade and/or age of your children: 6th/11yrs, 5th/10yrs, 3rd/8yrs, Special Ed/4yrs(not homeschooled at this time) and our baby almost 3 months

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? We do a mixture of Christian based curriculum. This year I am going to attempt to hs one or two days a week through the summer and see how that works for us. We shall see how busy our summer is though lol

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? no thank goodness, they seem to have their hand in enough.

Anything else?
May 4th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Mama To 3 Amazing Boys
Name: Brandi

Grade and/or age of your children: Edward (almost 5) K, Preston (2)

What do you hope to get out of this board? Support and information

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Sort of doing my own free style curriculum.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? I think once the children are 7, I have to send in my intent to homeschool, but I'm not 100% sure what else is needed.

Anything else? I worry I won't teach them everything they need and deserve to know! And I hear a lot of people say that I don't have a degree so I cannot properly teach my children.
Baby #4 - Went to Heaven on 1.20.14
Proud Christian, Jesus Loving,Extended Breastfeeding, Co-sleeping, Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, Non-Vaxing, Homeschooling Mama!
I choose to Homeschool so I can give my children a Godly foundation, So they know His word and His truths!
May 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Regular
Name: Christine

Grade and/or age of your children: Girl- 5 years, just working on reading and math this year. Boy- 2 just having fun, maybe working on colors and shapes.

What do you hope to get out of this board? I feel very alone in this so far. We are joining Classical Conversations in the fall, so I will get a little community there, but even so, I need a place to ask advice, make sure I'm not crazy, etc.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Right now we're just trying things out. I'm doing a combination of "The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading" and A Beka's reading program. I'm also using A Beka for math. (honestly it's because it's what I did as a kid, so its familiar) Otherwise, we're planning to try out Classical Conversations to round it out in the fall.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? I haven't looked into it deeply yet. I'm hoping some of the veteran moms can help me out when I go to the orientation days for CC.

Anything else? HI!
May 11th, 2010, 10:26 AM
~ Ada ~'s Avatar Zen
Name: Ada

Grade and/or age of your children: Son 4th grade, daughter 1st grade, and K.

What do you hope to get out of this board? I hope to learn how to keep lessons interesting, and share my insights on what has worked for me.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Modrately organized; for Math I use Saxxon, Language Arts Common Press and Core Knowledge for Science, History, Geography and Social Studies

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? A bit unique situation, home of residence is FL so we are required to fill out a statement of intent, but we split time between NC because my husband works in the state, but we'd be required to file a statement of intent as well.

Anything else? Look forward to meeting everyone!

A family is a place where minds come in contact with one another.
If these minds love one another the home will be as beautiful as a flower garden.
But if these minds get out of harmony with one another it is like a storm that plays havoc with the garden.

~ Buddha

May 17th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Veteran
Name: Becky

Grade and/or age of your children: 14 (b), 9 (b), 7 (g), 3 (b), 2 (g) and #6 on the way

What do you hope to get out of this board? Support, advice, friendship and I hope to give all those back as well

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Abeka and AOP Horizons

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? PA is pretty tough. We have to file an affidavit with objectives and the kids immunization records. We have to log 180 days and show a portfolio of what our kiddos have been working on all school year. We also have to have the portfolio evaluated by a licenced evaluator and then the school district must evaluate it as well.

Anything else? This past school year we placed our 9 and 7 year olds back into the public school system. I'm a little worried about scheduling them and not having enough time to do everything. With #6 on the way and due in November, that compounds my fears.
Baby Emma born 11/11/10 and Baby Bean Due 10/02/11
May 19th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Tofu Bacon
Name: Cori

Grade and/or age of your children: ds 5 (kindergarten), dd 2, #3 is cooking

What do you hope to get out of this board? support, lesson ideas

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? unit studies, informal lessons

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? oh my, yes (I'm in NY)

Anything else? I've had a rough road trying to find just the right curriculum for ds, so we've mainly been unschooling, with a twist of Five In A Row and Waldorf-inspiration. He is autistic and quite intelligent, so while he is academically-advanced, in all other areas is more at a three-year-old level; its been difficult to teach in a way that suits his academic level when he doesn't have the emotional maturity for formal learning. Plus, I have a huge aversion to traditional textbook and seat-work type of schooling, so while I know what won't work for us, its been a journey to find what will. Five In A Row has been okay, but I'm finding it very challenging and time-consuming to put together lessons; FIAR is not a complete curriculum and the amount of supplemental materials needs can be overwhelming... and that's coming from someone who does not push academics at this young age!

Anyway, I had planned on continuing with FIAR, but I could not find suitable supplemental curriculum for the 3Rs for ds, and then I stumbled upon My Father's World. Its Bible-based, but also includes secular materials (I was looking for a good balance of both), lot's of hands-on, informal lessons, plus it uses a unit-study approach. I also like that the prep-work on my part is no where near as time-consuming as FIAR. I was torn on whether to use the kindergarten or first grade curriculum (he already knows a lot of the kindy work, but I think the expectations of first grade would be too much for him), so we ended up going with kindergarten.
June 23rd, 2010, 08:56 AM
Regular
Name: Nicole

Grade and/or age of your children: Sara Beth 6.5 finsihing 2nd, Ashley 15 finishing 10th

What do you hope to get out of this board? Ideas and support

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? not really. I am very eclectic. I tend to be more traditional, but relaxed.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? We just moved to VA. NC was very lax. I believe we will have to register with the local county and submit test scores each year.

Anything else? We have been homeschooling for almost 3 years now.
August 1st, 2010, 07:41 PM
MamaPickles's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MamaPickles Send a message via Yahoo to MamaPickles
Name: Tiffany

Grade and/or age of your children: E is 3.5 and I just turned 1!! We'll be doing preschool this year with E.

What do you hope to get out of this board? Everything! I'm clueless! lol

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? No clue!

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? I don't even know yet! We're in KY.

Anything else? I'm BRAND spankin' new to the idea of homeschooling and would love any advice, tips, and resources you gals can offer!

C + T since 10.16.2004

August 2nd, 2010, 09:12 PM
~mama2monkeys~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~mama2monkeys~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~mama2monkeys~
Name: Carrie

Grade and/or age of your children: Jonah 6 is october, Bella Kate 3.5, and Finlay 1 in september

What do you hope to get out of this board? support, friendship, ideas.... etc

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? right now, we are trying a little here and there to see what works

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way?not to an extreme like some. Our state is fairly lax about it. I think we basically just have to inform that we are HS by age 7, and have to have 180 days recorded. From others experiences though, they never check. I'm in KY

Anything else?I'm really just getting started.. after a very long struggle with the whole decision. I have a SIL that HS her 4, and a large community of HSer's as well. But I'm terrified of my family's reactions! Also, my oldests son is SPD, so we have challenges in that area, but we're working through them!
I'm Carrie, wife to Micah (10/11/03) and mommy to 4 little monkeys! Jonah (10/08/04) Bella Kate (04-05-07) Finlay (09-17-09) Abram (10-28-11)and Baby #5, Baby Boy, Due May 2014!

September 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM
TheBoyMaker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Name: Stacy

Grade and/or age of your children: Jaden is 8.5, Jonah is 3.5, Liam is 1.5 years old

What do you hope to get out of this board? Information and support

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Not as of yet...we are new to homeschooling

J-Bird 🐦December 16, 2001
Monkey🐒 September 10, 2006
Roo 🐾October 7, 2008
Turtle 🐢December 26, 2013
September 26th, 2010, 12:42 PM
faygeo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to faygeo
Name: Faith

Grade and/or age of your children: Roland is 14 and 9th grade, Miracle is 3 and Sarah is 1

What do you hope to get out of this board? support, friendship, ideas.... etc

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? right now, we are doing the Alpha Omega

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? we had to submit a letter of intent, then an ihip, progress reports quarterly and state testing as well as keep track of attendance

Anything else?we are just starting to homeschool this past week was our first week. we are waiting for our curriculum to arrive, for now we are only doing phys. ed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search