Introduce Yourself!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Name: Becky

Grade and/or age of your children: 14/9th, 10/5th & 7/2nd

What do you hope to get out of this board? Meet other moms and get ideas!

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? What works best a mix of things

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? No
September 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Name: Sheri

Grade and/or age of your children: Hannah age 12 (7th grade)

What do you hope to get out of this board? Advice and support

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I call it Winging It 101. This is our first year and we are sort of struggling a little. We are mostly using workbooks, the library, different media and life to learn right now. We are having a hard time seperating our thoughts/learning etc from 'school'.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Yearly assessments or portfolio review by a certified teacher from what I can tell.
October 25th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Regular
Name: Nancy

Grade and/or age of your children: 2nd and 4th

What do you hope to get out of this board? Information on homeschooling issues.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Catholic / Seton

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Must submit an intent to homeschool, turn in a curriculum and the school board office must approve it, and submit a standardized test score for each grade progression.

Anything else?
November 1st, 2010, 06:17 PM
Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden's Avatar Texan In Seattle
Name: Aryn

Grade and/or age of your children: Alayna (5), First grade. Hayden (1), coloring and learning ABC and 123.

What do you hope to get out of this board? Curriculum info, friendship, ideas, and a welcoming atmosphere.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? We are currently using My Father's World 1st grade w/supplements (started last Monday!), but we've been doing a laid back, almost Unschooling approach since she has been able to hold a pencil. She learned extremely fast and well that way, but now it's time for a more structured approach now that she's older.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? None whatsoever! One great thing I love about Texas.

Thankfully my DH and I live in a very popular homeschooling area (south-east Texas) and have so so many resources available, or else I'd be lost! This was a very hard decision for me to make. I've never wanted to HS but I'm so glad I decided to take the leap. My daughter is very Gifted and I know she would immediately become frustrated and lost in a PS, especially the ones here.

Siggy by RASPBERRYBERET!!
December 4th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Name: Charlene
Grade and/or age of your children: boys 8 and twin 4 months and twin girls 6.
What do you hope to get out of this board? Advice and support

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? christian and on hands learning
Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? yes we have to test our children inorder for them to get a GED once they are older.
December 8th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Name:

Grade and/or age of your children: Arianna 6 years, Isaiah 2 years

What do you hope to get out of this board? Support, advice, and friendship

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I'm not sure yet, I'm still very much a newbie with homeschooling.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Not that I'm aware of.

Anything else? Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated! =D
December 9th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Name: Michelle
Kiddos: 12yr girl(6th grade), 9 yr old girl (4th grade), 7 yr old boy (1st grade)
Out of the board?: well I'd suspsect support, ideas, encouragement...
Style: well at first we're going to have to do a bit of unschooling. But I intend to play most by ear for this first bit until we get a handle on things. My kiddos are only just being pulled from ps. It will be an adjustment but I believe better for us all in the end. They will also all take a foreign language, learn an instrument, etc..
Local Govt.-I'm not real sure, we have to show immunization records, since we're pulling them from school and doing a mix of online and "mommy taught" as ds calls it, they need to see what grade they are at. We have I think a test next spring, and other than that we have attendance rules(5 hrs a day 5 days a week, however you wanna spread it out)

Hmmm anything else?.......can't think of anything
January 9th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Azmomto4's Avatar Veteran
Hi, everyone! we are brand new to homeschooling, and I have asked a few questions here before as we are just getting started...thought it was time to officially introduce myself!!
Name: Angela

Grade and/or age of your children: 10th grade son, 16...4th grade son, 10...2nd grade daughter, 7...preschooler son, 4.

What do you hope to get out of this board? I've already learned so much! You guys are very knowledgeable and level headed!! I hope I can be the same!!

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? We are using time 4 learning right now, because we are transitioning into building our own curriculum

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way?Nope...I'm in Az, and I have come to the understanding that this is a very homeschool-friendly state

Anything else?I will be transitioning into Christian-based curriculum in the next few months, and I really like the things I'm seeing from Alpha Omega. I really hope it is as good as it looks!!

January 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM
My name is Stacey and I homeschool my 3rd grade daughter. We live in a rural community with only one homeschool support group in our area, so i am looking for support and ideas from others who favor an eclectic and unit based approach.
January 21st, 2011, 08:18 AM
marmeeof5's Avatar Host of Green Mommies
Name: Mary (Marmee)

Grade and/or age of your children: I have graduated 4 daughters who are now 26, 24, 21, and 18 and I'm currently schooling my "baby" who is 13 and in 7th grade.

What do you hope to get out of this board? I'd like the fellowship, help others if I can, and I'm always ready to learn!

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? We use a variety of resources. I prefer Saxon for Math and just started Saxon Writing/Grammar (love it!), Apologia for science, and The Mystery of History. I love the Charlotte Mason method, living books, unit studies when I have someone to do them with, hands-on learning!!

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? In KY, you just establish your home as a private school. This is a fancy way of saying, name it! We are Grace Academy. We send a letter of intent the beginning of each year. That's about it.

Anything else? I am from FL and hope to get back there soon! We have our house on the market! I am the host of the Green Mommies board , where we learn together how to live healthy, frugal lives. My 2 married daughters are on JustMommies, and both intend to homeschool. I have 3 precious grandblessings that I hope to be able to help homeschool one day. I am a Christian! And I love words and hugs!!
~Mary~ "Marmee" to Tiffany(29, married to Bill. Mommy to Karabeth- born 8/07), Christina(26), Heather(24, married to Bryce. Mommy to BE, born 3/09, Conlan, born 9/10 and a girl due 7/13), Ashlee(21, married to Matt, Mommy to Gunner, born 8/12), & Rebecca Joy(15)

February 25th, 2011, 12:44 PM
My name is Lydia. I have a toddler, an infant, and #3 on the way.

Not sure what kind of curriculum we are going to use. I do have some hesitation, but not against, using Saxon math though. My mom used it with me, and I had trouble with it.

As far as government rules are concerned with homeschooling...not that I am aware of.

I am wanting support, friends, and to be welcomed. I was just on another board, and they basically said I was not welcomed because they did not like what I had to say, and would not go into detail about my personal experiences.
March 25th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Veteran
Name: Mrs P.

Grade and/or age of your children: Currently teaching a 6yo with 3 more little ones in tow.

What do you hope to get out of this board? Fellowship, support and information.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Somewhere between Charlotte Mason and Classical.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Registration as a private school once my oldest is 7. Annual testing in Language and Math.

Last edited by The Studious Mrs P.; August 17th, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
March 28th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Rochelle
Name: Rebecca

Grade and/or age of your children: HSing 3rd grade girl and Pre-K'd boy and also blessed with a 1 y/o baby girl

What do you hope to get out of this board? Friendship, support, and knowledge.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? As of right now we use a hodge-podge curriculum of different brand workbooks, some textbooks and some internet print-outs.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Once a yr testing and atleast 3 yrs records in case of audit (Florida)

Anything else? Not right now.. (Nursing at computer )

Last edited by 4hearts; September 21st, 2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: to adjust kids ages
April 4th, 2011, 05:33 AM
sarah1up's Avatar Member
Hi, forgive me if I'm doing something wrong... I'm new to this whole site. I saw someone recommend it on another site for homeschooling and thought I'd check it out.

Name: Sarah

Grade and/or age of your children: Jamison 3.5, Parker due in June

What do you hope to get out of this board? Place to chat, get advice, and information.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Not yet Keeping it laid back for a few more years.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Yes, one of the more annoying states!

My son has a speech delay and is considered behind in some areas (what I call on his own schedule) so we aren't on a nice level playing field. He is advanced in math, but has trouble understanding what is asked of him and communicating his thoughts. In preschool I know he wouldn't get the extra time he would need in certain areas so I opted not to send him. This got me interested in homeschooling and the more research I do, the more I love the idea.
April 26th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Name: Stacy

Grade and/or age of your children:Logan 3.5 does a mix of K and 1st grade, Emily 2.5, Preschool

What do you hope to get out of this board? Support

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? We use LifePacs

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Nope!

7/24/12
10/09/12
April 27th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Hello. I am brand new here. Also, brand new to homeschooling, or even the idea of homeschooling really. I will start a post to tell more of my/DD's story and ask some questions.

Name: Pam

Grade and/or age of your children: DD-8/3rd grade, DS-5/speech therapy, not yet in K

What do you hope to get out of this board? Support, encouragement, answers, friendship

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? Not a clue

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Yes!
May 25th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Name: Paula

Grade and/or age of your children: Ages 4 1/2 and 2

What do you hope to get out of this board? Support and new ideas

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I, very recently, decided that Oak Meadow sounds like the best for us, to start out. We'll go from K and see if it works for both myself and Frog (considering we have different learning/teaching styles).

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Yes, from the age of 7 we must report our yearly curriculum to our local County School District. So, two more years before I have to worry about that, and by then we should have a good idea, or at least better, of what works best in our home.

Anything else? I look forward to getting to know everyone and hope to gain more perspective on the entire homeschooling lifestyle.
May 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Name: Kristi
Age of child: Thea will be 3 in August
Preferred style/curriculum: Don't know yet. just starting research but am using the book What Your Preschooler Needs to Know and the correlating 3 year old workbook. I am considering Bright Beaming Resources to help me get her started more on letter recognition and such and to help get myself organized.
Is homeschooling regulated in your state? No
Anything else? We had planned on sending her to a local private christian school for K-8 (this is where Daddy went) and then didn't have a plan yet for grades 9-12 but found out the school still paddles and it made me start reconsidering just homeschooling the whole time. He dad says that if I think I can do it he supports me homeschooling her. I know that is at least what I will do for the next couple of years and keep figuring out what will work best for us, especially Thea.
June 17th, 2011, 12:20 PM
luv2bemommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Name: Kristen

Grade and/or age of your children: Alaina is 5 and will be starting K, Taryn is 3 and Asher is 2 months

What do you hope to get out of this board? Support, advice, information, etc.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? no idea

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? I have to send in a NOI and curriculum for Language Arts and Math. There's also testing at the end of the year from 1st grade on.

Anything else? I am very new to all of this!
July 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Regular
Name: Tabitha

Grade and/or age of your children: Richie, age 5

What do you hope to get out of this board? Looking to get more ideas/information about HS, as I've decided to do so with my children due to the terrible state of the public school systems where I live.

Do you have a style or curriculum you prefer? I can't say that I have, as of yet. I might be doing something sort of in a Montissori/unschooling style, because outside of phonics (which DS isn't too good at) I generally do teaching led by him. Basically I've done a lot of research, but I'm looking to do more so that I can find what will work the best for myself and my son.

Does your local government regulate homeschooling in any way? Here in FL, homeschooling is very regulated. My understanding is that detailed records have to be kept, and children must submit to standardized testing. I don't agree with that sort of testing (as I had a lot of trouble with standardized testing when I was in school due to dyslexia and some other factors), so we may move to a more lenient state where it regards schooling sometime in the future.

Anything else? I think that's basically it, really. As I said, just looking for a LOT of information. A lot of people I know say "You don't know what you're getting into", but since I already deal with an ADHD/special needs child every waking moment of the day and I know him best, I really feel that it's in his best interest that he learns from me instead of being completely lost in the public school system, thrown into the "bad kids" classes, and/or special education.

[/CENTER]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search