Just for fun?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2010, 09:03 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What are the kids reading (alone or with you) right now that isn't related to school work?

What do the kids enjoy doing?

What do you enjoy doing (for fun or relaxation)?
January 30th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Whatever strikes her fancy is what we're reading.

Rebecca's favourite thing right now is playing with her tea set we got her a couple of weeks ago!

Reading, handcrafts (knitting, crocheting, embroidery, cross stitch, etc)...
January 30th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Let's see my oldest was just reading something about eco-terrorists on another planet in the future. For fun, he is teaching himself Japanese. He got a full course from the library and is working all the lessons and taking the tests. He does it after his schoolwork is done so he considers it something he's doing for fun, not school. ;-)
My 11 yr old is into mysteries and scary stories, not sure which title she is working on at the moment, something about a kidnapping I think. She loves art, so that's what she does for fun. My 6 yr old is into reading any words she can find around the house, like labels and mail, etc... She has also been enjoying Bearenstain Bears stories. Her joy is watching cooking shows and helping me cook.
I just finished two biographies, one about a nun in mexico, the other about a child soldier from Sierra Leone. Both very good books.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
January 30th, 2010, 01:34 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ben's reading "Because of Winn-Dixie". He goes through phases when it comes to what's fun. Last year it was trains. This year, it's Lego blocks (he's still into trains, too, but tiny Legos are his new love, because he does them completely by himself... no annoying baby brother in the room). I'm reading "The Love Dare". I usually hate reading, but I've been wanting to do that book for a while. I'm on day 3 or 4, I think?
January 31st, 2010, 10:09 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What are the kids reading (alone or with you) right now that isn't related to school work?

My 2nd grader has discovered the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and has really taken to it. She tends to kind of draw in comic book style and has a quirky sense of humor, so they're a good fit. I'm actually kind of glad she's trying something different since she's always so drawn to non-fiction. It's a nice change-of-pace for her.

My preschooler is really into the Tiara Club series, the Rainbow Magic Series, and the Magic Tree House series right now. Although there is at least some factual information in the Magic Tree House books, they're really just for fun (well...everything is just for fun at her age, really, but you know what I mean ). She also continues to enjoy all of the child-friendly Halloween books we have even though Halloween was months ago. LOL

My 2nd grader loves to draw and illustrate stories. She actually spends a great deal of her free time doing it. She also loves computer games and riding her scooter. She has recently taken an interest in Greek mythology. Any ideas as far as things I can do or places I can look to help feed that?

My preschooler is very physical and loves to spend much of her time riding her bike, taking nature walks, practicing ballet, swinging, and that sort of thing. She has taken an interest in drawing lately, too. She also loves her computer games.

I'm a huge fan of bubble baths. LOL I also love listening to music, scrapbooking, and writing. The last book I read was The Murder of King Tut because I've always had a weird fascination with Egypt.

Last edited by AmAnDaMo; January 31st, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
January 31st, 2010, 10:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know Ingri D'Aulaire wrote a book called Greek Myths... it runs about $14 just about everywhere I've found it. Also, AmblesideOnline.com does some Greek myth stuff in their early elementary section as well, so you might want to take a look at that as well...
January 31st, 2010, 10:44 AM
AmAnDaMo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She actually just picked out D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths when we visited Barnes and Noble the other day, but she hasn't started it yet.

I'll have to check out the website you suggested...thanks so much!

February 2nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

We are reading Pooh Corner. I kind of consider it "literature" for school, but the kids love it, so... I feel like it kind of overlaps.

watching movies, pretending to be superheroes, crafts, drawing, building things with Legos

making cards, reading a book, crocheting, surfing the net

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search