I'm getting a crash course again. LOL!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2010, 11:00 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
So I got a crash course in curriculum and grade levels when we decided to HS this year. Now I'm getting a crash course in HS laws by state. Dh gave me a list of all the states his company operates in, because his name is in the pipeline for a promotion, which means we'd have to move. He wanted to know which states I'd be willing to move to, so he asked me to make a yes/no/maybe list. I did all 24 states, and then he told me I misunderstood what he was asking me to do. If he gets a promotion, it'll be to a new state that isn't on his company's list (meaning, they'll open a new branch in another state). So, now I get to do the remaining 26 (minus TX, plus D.C.). At least now I'm learning how to skim the laws to find exactly what I'm looking for, but sheesh! What a pain!
January 30th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lol! If VA 'isn't' on the list, I vote you vote yes for here...
January 30th, 2010, 08:01 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Check out IN!! We are a HS friendly state!
January 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
NJ is a a great state to HS, too.

Jenn
January 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah, IN and NJ are on my list, but no, VA isn't.
January 30th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wait... VA isn't as in it is on the list of places that aren't options in the first place? or isn't as in it *is* an option? LOL...
January 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM
As in ... "Heck no! I'm not moving there!" Letter of Intent = annoying, but fine. Testing = PITB. Submitting a description of my curriculum = nooo way. As often as I change my mind?! It's no one's business but my own, and I'm too spoiled in TX to move to a state that does that. My "yes" column is states that have either nothing or just a letter of intent. My "maybe" column are states that I'm not sure about or that have some minor detail in addition to the letter of intent. My no column is everyone else.
January 30th, 2010, 08:20 PM
So what ones have you narrowed it down to?
January 30th, 2010, 08:26 PM
So far...

My yes list is OK, KS, NM, AZ, KY, IN, UT, ED, NJ, AK, and NV.

My maybe list is AR, KS, IA, NE, WV, WA, D.C., and OR.

My no list is CA, OH, NY, AL, TN, VA, SC, CO, MT, RI, VT, ME, and HI.

I still need to finish looking at WY, ND, DS, MN, MI, IL, MS, MO, LA, GA, FL, NC, WS, PA, MASS, NH, MD, and CT.
January 30th, 2010, 09:20 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In GA you only need a letter of intent and to submit monthly hours. I just go through and X all M-F on the month and take it to the BOE office and drop it off. Oh and testing every 3 years, starting in 3rd grade, which sucks. But we will be moving before then.

I'm also checking out a number of states because we will be moving by the end of summer.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

January 30th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah, that days/hours requirement really burns me, too. Why should a 5 year old be expected to have the same time frame as a 17 year old?! Some kids learn faster than others. Some curriculum choices require more time to finish than others. As long as the work gets done, who cares how long it took?
January 31st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
As in ... "Heck no! I'm not moving there!" Letter of Intent = annoying, but fine. Testing = PITB. Submitting a description of my curriculum = nooo way. As often as I change my mind?! It's no one's business but my own, and I'm too spoiled in TX to move to a state that does that. My "yes" column is states that have either nothing or just a letter of intent. My "maybe" column are states that I'm not sure about or that have some minor detail in addition to the letter of intent. My no column is everyone else.
Wow, lol!

VA is super easy, imo-- the letter of intent can be practically the same every year-- just have to change the grade and 'planned curriculum' (if necessary). Testing isn't required, you can do portfolio or even teacher eval. Testing just happens to be 'simplest'. We'll probably do the teacher one, because we know a whole bunch of teachers willing to do it for us, LOL. And... the 'description' can be as simple as, "We'll be using Horizons for Mathematics, and Christian Liberty Press for Language Arts. I reserve the right to change any and all materials and methods to meet the needs of my child as the year progresses."

*shrugs* Anyway.. my opinion is that it is easy, and I would prefer to live in a state that at least has *some* requirement for proof of progress than one that doesn't at all, simply because I think there should be some accountability. But... I also think their correspondence school option is stupid, because you can't use *any*, just the ones on their approved list.
February 3rd, 2010, 10:35 PM
Finally finished! (Excuse the formatting... JM doesn't like my copy/paste from excel.)

AK YES
AL NO
AR MAYBE
AZ YES
CA NO
CO NO
CT MAYBE
DE YES
FL MAYBE
GA NO
HI NO
IA MAYBE
ID YES
IL YES
IN YES
KS YES
KY YES
LA NO
MASS NO
MD MAYBE
ME NO
MICH YES
MN NO
MO NO
MS YES
MT NO
NC MAYBE
ND NO
NE MAYBE
NH NO
NJ YES
NM YES
NV YES
NY NO
OH NO
OK YES
OR MAYBE
PA NO
RI NO
SC NO
SD MAYBE
TN NO
UT YES
VA NO
VT NO
WA MAYBE
WA D.C. MAYBE
WI YES
WV MAYBE
WY NO

Last edited by BensMom; February 3rd, 2010 at 10:39 PM.
February 4th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Do you know when he will have a better idea on where he might go or what cities your looking at? Like you could live in southern IN and then he could easily work in Louisville or in Indianapolis hint hint LOL!!!
February 4th, 2010, 01:44 PM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
Why no for Cali? We're an EASY homeschool state? (just curious?!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search