Need your help for a friend -Withdrawing your child from public school

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Hi everyone. I know I haven't posted here in a while but I could really use your help. I have a friend from my homeschool group that really wants to start homeschooling. Her oldest daughter is in kindergarten and she was planning to have her finish up the school year first and then start homeschooling. But, her daughter had some time off from school recently and she really enjoyed getting a taste of homeschooling. Her daughter really wants to start homeschooling.

I would love it if you could share your experience with withdrawing your child from public school and share any tips/advice with her. I promised to send her a link to this thread and maybe she will come join JM. I know she is looking for support.

I have suggested giving her daughter a little time to say goodbye to her friends first before withdrawing her just because I know that was something that was hard for my kids when I withdrew them from school. I don't know if you all agree with this advice and if you do how much notice do you think she should give her dd and the school.

Also, what did you do when you took your kids out of school? How much notice did you give and how did you tell the school and your kids?

And anything else you can think of. I may be sending her your way for help on curriculum advice too.

Thanks so much for any help with answering this post.

February 4th, 2010, 12:41 PM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
HI! I haven't had my kids in public school, so I am not sure exactly how it works, I did however, take my kids out of a public charter.

I would suggest she find out what the laws are immediately. (does she need to file an affidavit? etc. Her state educational website will provide her with a wealth of knowledge). Here, I had to filed an affidavit with the state board of ed. and that's about it, but it varies.

She doesn't have to provide notice, it's her child, though she should have a plan of action for when she takes her out!

I hope she joins!! there are many wise mama's here

February 4th, 2010, 04:29 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Thanks for sending her this way. I've never pulled kids out, either, so I can't help with that, but we'd love to get to know her!
February 4th, 2010, 06:10 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pulled my son out of public school in first grade. I told them on a Wednesday that his last day would be Friday. I asked for a copy of his 'transcripts' so that I could prove that he was in public school (for my files) for the first half of the year. I wasn't planning on telling them that I was homeschooling, but when I asked for his files they asked me what school they should send it to. That's when I told them I was homeschooling, and they ran and got the guidence counsler (whom I lothe! Can't stand the chick. ) When she came out she started writing on a pad and telling me all the things I needed to do and who I needed to talk to. I stopped her mid sentence and said I already filed my intent to homeschool and everythig was done. She gave me a priceless look and I made sure everything was done and walked out. Haven't went back since (well hubby did to get my son's transcripts). Here in GA you have 30 days to file your intent after you withdrawl you child from school, so you can do it before or after.

My son was completely on-board with homeschooling and was happy to leave with very little notice, but some kids may need more time to say goodbye.

Hope that helps.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

February 4th, 2010, 06:30 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I pulled my DD out of school, but waited until the end of her 1st grade year instead of pulling her out midway through the year. It was a decision we all made together on her finishing out the year and then we would really look into it and discuss it over the summer before we made a final decision. 4 days before school was to start here, I sent her principal an email and said that she would not be coming back and that was it. He did question as to why she would not be returning and all, but I just told him that we decided that we were going to homeschool and he wished us luck and said that if we wanted to re-enroll her that we could at anytime. I didn't have to go through the school district because she was enrolled at a private school. We may be pulling DS out of K before the end of the school year, but only because we are moving. So, if/when that happens, I will let his teacher and the director know as soon as I know for sure the date that he will be leaving. He is currently enrolled at a private preschool that also has a K program, so it's not going to be a big ordeal there either. I was just hesitant about stepping out hs'ing for the first time with both. We have been very happy with the school where DS is currently at for preschool and felt that he would be fine attending K there and then we would hs from there on out if he wanted to do that. I did tell his teacher several weeks back that we were looking at moving, just didn't have any sort of timeframe, so she is aware that it is a possibility.
February 5th, 2010, 05:12 AM
I waited until the end of the year to pull my kids out of ps but I do know that here you have to give 2 weeks notice to the school before taking kids out mid-year. The Superintendent has the right to waive the 2 week waiting period though. It seems that if you try to pull your child out mid-year the schools will try to talk you out of it. Best advice I have for anyone leaving ps mid-year is know your rights when you go in there and don't let them intimidate you. Best of luck to her!
February 5th, 2010, 07:42 AM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhomeschoolmommy View Post
It seems that if you try to pull your child out mid-year the schools will try to talk you out of it. Best advice I have for anyone leaving ps mid-year is know your rights when you go in there and don't let them intimidate you. Best of luck to her!
Completely agree!

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

February 5th, 2010, 10:30 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I forgot to add this link that I have about pulling your child out mid-year. Starting Mid-Year
February 5th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Generally Crispy
I looked up the statues for my state (AZ) prior to doing anything. I went to the county superintendents website and dug thru info there. Had to take certified copies of birth certificates for both my older kids (this was the biggest hassle because we had recently moved and I couldnt locate them and had to drive to vital record and get new ones, vitals office was about 60 miles from me and the superintendants office was 30 miles in the opposite direction), file the form (that had to be noterized) with the superintendants office. Then went to the kids schools and withdrew them. By the time I left the superintendants office and got to the schools, the school had already been contacted and had the forms ready for us. At my sons school they "required" us to meet with an interventionist to try to see if there was anything that could be done to prevent his withdrawl. Im sure I could have not met with her but there was nothing that they could have done to change my mind. For me there was a few little bumps in the road, but it wasnt a difficult process.
February 6th, 2010, 04:49 AM
LisanAndy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lurking (though I plan on homeschooling but my girls are too young to start a curriculum with) but I was pulled out myself in the middle of 5th grade. I know my parents sent a letter to the board of ed for my state and found a group (required where I lived) to oversee all my work once a year. They were tired of me learning nothing in public school and after a parent teacher conference decided I was going to be homeschooled. They found the umbrella group they liked and pulled me out with no warning to the school. All of my friends, who I got in contact with in high school since I had to go back (my mom was severely ill and couldn't teach) thought I had died or moved somewhere because I didn't get a chance to say bye, hand out my phone number, ect. The school just walked in with a black trash bag put my stuff in it without saying a word. Apparently it was a very simple process for my parents

Is baby Aubrey Alana or Jacob Robert?!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search