What would you say to someone who...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2010, 07:29 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Let's imagine for a moment that you're seen in public with your kids at a time when most kids are in PS. Someone approaches you, finds out you're HS'ing, and proceeds to bash homeschooling, call you names, tell you you're ruining your kids, etc. What would you do/say? Would it be the same if your kids weren't in hearing distance?
February 7th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
"I'm sorry you haven't interacted with many home educated members of our society. As a homeschool graduate myself, I am fully aware that not only are we socially and academically competent, we are often beyond our peers both socially and academically. There are some great books and websites available on the subject, perhaps you would like to research your position further before making unfounded accusations toward our family and our choices."

And that would be the basic response whether my child(ren) were present or not.
February 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Super Mommy
"Homeschooling is a very private, very thought out family decision. It has work well so far and we will continue to use it until it no longer meets our needs."

If Miguel is in ear shot I have to explaining why some people thing that way.

Last edited by Miguels mommy; February 7th, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
February 7th, 2010, 08:29 PM
"You have no idea what you're talking about or who you're talking to. If you did, you'd know what a fool you're making of yourself."

... and yes, I'd say the same thing if the kids were/weren't there.
February 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I would say your pretty clueless on the subject matter and apparently do not really what a day in PS is really like and the lack of learning that is taking place there not to mention all the other crap that goes on. Maybe you should check out the library and the internet on the subject!
February 8th, 2010, 08:43 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hmm.. What I'd want to say and what I would have the guts to say would be 2 different things. (Not that I think one should bad-mouth the person whether you have guts or not, though.)

I am also not a quick-thinker when I get nervous like I would be in that scenario, but let's say my ideal response would be something like:

"Well, this really isn't any of your business. But I think the socialization issue is blown way out of proportion. A big reason I homeschool is precisely because I don't want my kids socializing with everyone else's kids. And homeschoolers have higher test scores on average than public schoolers, so they tend to get a better education than public school kids. I think you should research the facts on homeschooling before you make rude comments to people you don't even know just because they homeschool."

Hopefully nobody approaches me tomorrow since my husband announced to me that we are taking the kids out to breakfast in the morning! lol I've never dealt with any comments so far. I bet they are less likely to bother me with my husband there. I find that people are much more likely to comment on me having a lot of kids (I have 4) if I'm by myself. Thank God for intimidating hubbies. haha
February 9th, 2010, 05:59 AM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not homeschooling (my youngest isn't school aged yet, so I'm only considering it). But if a complete stranger came up to me and started being horribly rude and down on homeschooling, including raising the "socialization" issue, I think I would be very tempted to ask if they went to public school and then point out that public school socialization obviously didn't make them into a polite, socially capable member of society.
February 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
So did someone approach you or is this just a hypothetical question?
February 10th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Tropicgal10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Tropicgal10 Send a message via MSN to Tropicgal10 Send a message via Yahoo to Tropicgal10
I would tell them there time would be better spent searching kids backpacks or monitoring the metal dectors, not trying to convince me public schooling is better for my child.
February 10th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_mommy View Post
So did someone approach you or is this just a hypothetical question?
I don't think anyone in this area would say such a thing. If we move to a state that isn't as HS friendly as TX, I might encounter it though.
February 11th, 2010, 11:34 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
I'd tell them to mind their own business. If someone is being blatantly rude, even out of ignorance, I'm not going to argue with them or validate their opinion by giving them a reaction. And that is a lesson I would like my kids to learn too. Some people just aren't worth arguing with.

If a person approached me with a honest interest in homeschooling vs. public schooling (or private schooling) and did it in a polite and kind manner (which I have had people do occasionally when I mention we homeschool, "Aren't you worried she'll have trouble socializing." ) then I would, of course, tell them why we chose to homeschool and why I feel it is better for our family. And if DD was in ear shot then I would let her come over and show them how socialized (and polite!) she already is.

February 13th, 2010, 10:19 AM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Also being in TX, and even moreso in/near Austin (where anyone's opinion on anything is always ok *roll eyes* ), I've never come across this and probably never will.

I'd probably shoot out a quick line or two and make a hasty exit. Who do these people think they are??

"Well it's a good thing we live in America where we can all make our own choices. Not everyone is blessed enough or has the ability to teach their own children." (With the implication that some people are sub-par and the accuser is likely one of them. I'm such a meanie. I don't really feel like that, of course - anyone who is willing can do it - but some people don't deserve to try. Ugh.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search