How do I get started?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Leffew's Avatar is baking!
Hi! I'm Nicole. My DD Emma is in Kindergarten. I've suspected that her teacher has had a drug problem since school began, but when I requested to have her switch teachers, it was denied because all of the classrooms were full. I friended one of the other mothers from my daughter's classroom and she and I spoke on numerous occasions where other parents believe this as well. Today I got a letter from my daughter's sub. For the next 6 weeks, her regular teacher will not be there. My belief is she has gone to rehab or possibly been suspended because of the drug abuse.

I also received a letter today about the local school district's total financial ruin.

I want to pull my daughter out of the public school and homeschool. I have always wanted to do it, but her father disagreed. I now have custody, with him having visitation. Therefore, he does not have much say.

I live in Ohio. I looked up some info and the site says

Quote:
Parents or legal guardians of students age 6 to 18, the compulsory school age outlined in the Ohio Revised Code, 3321.01. If your child will reach the age of six after September 30, there is no need to complete a notification form for that school year. If your child will reach the age of six years before September 30, then you DO need to complete a notification form for the school year.
Emma will not be six years old before September 30th. Do I need to "notify"? Can I just begin schooling her at home and once she turns six, I would then do all the testing and such? I really don't know where to begin. Thanks so much for any advice you can give me.

<--- again!
February 11th, 2010, 05:05 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Since she's already IN school, you'll need to withdraw her. You can't just stop going, or else you'll have a truancy officer at your doorstep. Ohio is a pain, unfortunately. Let me do a little bit of digging and get back to you later with more specifics. I think you're right in pulling her out, though. That's for sure!
February 11th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Leffew's Avatar is baking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
Since she's already IN school, you'll need to withdraw her. You can't just stop going, or else you'll have a truancy officer at your doorstep.
Oh yeah, that was definitely the plan. Since her teacher is out for the six weeks, I am going to take that time to get myself all the info I need and get a curriculum together because I do believe they need to have something like that when you withdraw them.

<--- again!
February 12th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Super Mommy
I live in Ohio and I would put a letter in. Our curriculum description was about 4 sentences long and using the cat-e it fails under 3 on the testing option. Also I found a place that give administration certifications for the Tara-nova and it lasts 5 years.

Your brief outline may look like this:

For (child's name) we are using What your kindergartner needs to know which covers Language, reading, spelling, writing, geography, history of the United States and Ohio, government, math, science, fine arts (including music), and health. We are using Ohio Academic Content Standards guides for physical education. We will be reading about fire safety and first aid through age appropriate books from our local library. We will use field trips and community resources when appropriate.

Materials:
What your kindergartner needs to know
Ohio Academic Content Standards guides
community resources (ie. library)
Internet

Mail it in a way that they have to sign for it and you get a copy of the signature for your records so you have a copy they received it.

Last edited by Miguels mommy; February 13th, 2010 at 07:57 AM.
February 20th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Veteran
I don't know OH specific rules but here in NC you would withdraw them and send a notification next school year when she would be six. The notification is to "open" your homeschool and you only send it once, not with each child. Then you must keep attendance records and everything for any of your children you teach. You must do a yearly standardized exam after that year the child turns 6 and keep those records on file. The state can ask for these at any time and you must be able to produce them. They also prefer you have a lesson plan book which could be examined on request. Doing that is really just a CYA thing in case someone gets anal. You will probably want to select a curriculum to teach from, as just going on the fly can be pretty scary for a newb. And there you need to choose Christian vs. Secular. I use Sonlight for a lot of things as I love all the literature and such. I LOVE rightstart math and am thrilled at the math sense my kids have from that program. I tried Abeca for a while and was unhappy with the workbook heavy nature and the order in which they taught some things. I also like Sing spell read write as a supplementary reading program. Hope these at least give you a starting place to look into things, and good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search