Have you?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2010, 03:52 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you ever had or thought about a fundraiser of sorts to raise money for homeschooling expenses? IDK why I was thinking about it... probably the coupon book I just bought from a little girl at church that she is selling as a fund raiser for a local public school & the fact that our church is actually doing a fundraiser right now for the private Christian school that they run. All these schools & their fundraisers got me to thinking that if anyone NEEDS a fundraiser to help with schooling expenses, it's me (& anyone else paying to homeschool their child) not a state-funded public school. I actually remember Austin having 3 or more fundraisers last year in public school.

Actually I was thinking about something like "cookies in a jar" or "brownies in a jar" mix of some sort (like these... Cookie Mix in a Jar - All Recipes)... maybe offer 4 or 5 choices & take orders then fill them for x amount of money (I wish I could do a yard sale but that's just not a possibility here unless I talk a friend into letting me do it at her house (which I honestly might be able to do now that I think about it )) but then again I am hesitant about doing something like this b/c as I read somewhere else... it is kinda like begging for money or something. IDK, what do you think?

I did do a quick google search & found these...
Homeschool Fundraising Ideas - Buy For Charity
Homeschool Fundraising Ideas, Home School Fundraisers, Home School Fundraiser, Fundraisers for Homeschool Programs

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
February 11th, 2010, 05:02 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
LOL! It's begging if you teach your own kid, but it's fundraising if you're giving your time, effort, and money to the government.

I'd never really thought about it. Do you seriously think you'll try it?
February 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I'm seriously considering it, that's for sure... that's why I'm running it by you ladies. I also thought I'd run it by a couple of my closest friends from church as well to get their opinions first but I'm seriously concerned over our financial situation for next year & I'm nervous about having the money to HS next year but I can't imagine trying to go back to PS. I LOVE HSing!

I think right now my biggest hang up is etiquette... am I begging? Is there something that I'm missing & some reason that this shouldn't be done? I mean if public & private schools can do a fundraiser, why can't homeschools? KWIM.

Bottom line, I haven't made up my mind yet but depending on your opinions & the opinions of my closest church friends... I really MIGHT do it. If I did it though, I think I would mainly sell to my church & a few family unless I get the wild hair to expand it which could always be a possibility.

Rick Warren

February 11th, 2010, 08:12 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
If I did something like that, I'd do it as a group (like a co-op). I wouldn't do it individually.
February 15th, 2010, 06:36 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I dunno. I think it is a great idea, but just don't know what people would think about that if they knew it was just for you. What about coming up with a name for your homeschool and say for this is a fundraiser for the "Whatever named school" and leave it at that. Or get a couple to join you and say it is for such and such co-op.
February 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
I wouldn't think twice if it was for a co-op but no way I could do it for us personally..homeschooling is a choice.. I chose to do this so I incur any expenses that come with this decision..
February 16th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Actually we don't really have to think of a name since here in AL, we are part of an umbrella school so we do officially have a school. I actually also posted this same topic on another HSing board that I frequent & learned that this isn't as uncommon as I first thought. Apparently a lot of them have/will do something to help raise funds. Right now I am seriously considering doing a few yard sales... not here of course but I have places in mind where I can do them & I thought I'd make the cookies in a jar & sell them at the yard sale.

Actually someone on the other HSing board mentioned starting a small family business & letting DS learn the specifics of a business that way. I thought that was a wonderful idea though I'm not sure that I will but it would be great to do. Maybe one day.

Thanks for your opinions, ladies!

Rick Warren

February 28th, 2010, 08:21 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think this is a great idea Amanda. I say go for it. Let me know if you do it and how it worked out. I think a yard sale would be great and you could sell the cookie brownie mix at the same time.

We plan on having a yard sale this spring when it warms up a bit. We so need to find a way for some extra funds for the homeschooling budget.

March 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I read about a family who made and sold cookies and other baked goods around the neighborhood. It was the children's home-business. They learned a lot by doing it (taking orders, pricing, cooking, etc...) and the proceeds went to purchasing curriculum. Maybe they kept some for themselves too, I don't remember. Anyway, it's an idea....

I had a garage sale a few summers ago to raise money for curriculum but I didn't tell people where the money was going. It was just like any other garage sale. No one needs to know what you're spending your profits on.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
March 4th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks ladies...

Brandi, love your siggie... I NEVER knew what you looked like!

Rick Warren

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search