Kinda freaked out now.

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok so logically, I know that I've got about 2 1/2 years before we have to officially start. And DD just turned 4 yesterday and is wanting to write and can form a passing "o" and "e" which I think is pretty good. AND I know that all the department of education stuff is written in educationese like legislative bills are written in legalese and are much simpler than they sound (so we won't fire these people). But I'm not reacting to logic at the moment. Out of curiosity and for future reference, I looked up the Georgia curriculum requirements for kindergarten and first grade and got stressed out. I feel like we're already behind.
February 11th, 2010, 08:11 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Do you have a link? I can almost bet that's what they should know when they exit K-1, which means you're actually looking at 1-2 requirements. Kids learn so fast at this age, and besides, if you're homeschooling, it doesn't make as big a difference if your kid is ahead/behind PS. Normal 4 year olds are learning to write letters. Sounds like she's right on target to me.
February 11th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
https://www.georgiastandards.org/sta...Level_K-8.aspx

The performance standard framework is what I was reading that was overwhelming. I think it's in another tab on the GA DOE main page. The link above is less freaky. But for math, one of the skills is "analyze and evaluate the mathematical thinking and strategies of others." What does that even mean? Just pointing out someone else's mistake and correcting it? Or are they wanting more? And if it is that simple, why not state it simply? I hate bureaucrats.

Sorry. I'm still feeling out of my depth, though less so than a year ago. And my mom so very kindly pointed out recently that maybe with this baby coming along that it would be too much for me to handle and I should still keep this local public charter school in mind, not that she doesn't think I can't do it, it just might be too much. Her comments are getting to me even though I don't want them to.

I'll be quiet now...
February 11th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Looking at the standards, first of all, they are the END of Kindergarten goals, not PRE-Kindergarten goals.

If you use even a fairly basic curriculum plan you're going to at least hit if not exceed every single language arts standards. I looked at those and they're really basically "teach your kid to read short vowel words, and make sure they can talk with people and understand what they are told/read to". Really basic.

The math-- the "Analyze and evaluate the mathematical thinking and strategies of others." thing is basically just look at how someone else worked through a problem and see if you agree with how they did it (so if someone took 2+2 and said it was 5, then your kid said it was 4, and explained why they disagreed... that's analysis).

The following is what you really want to pay attention to in the math standards, and they are easily met.
Quote:
Terms/Symbols:
numbers through 30, number words through ten, set, longer, shorter, heavier, lighter, morning, afternoon, evening, yesterday, today, tomorrow, days of the week, months of the year, seasons, triangle, quadrilateral, rectangle, square, circle, sphere, cube, beside, above, below, in front of, behind, inside, outside, more, less, equal, ordinal numbers, picture graph
Again... it's all END of Kindergarten, not beginning-- your DD JUST turned 4, so she's more like a 3 year old than a 4 year old for the 'current school year'. She and you are both doing just fine. They even say in the introduction to the language arts portion that children enter K at all different skill levels and experiences, so your DD is NOT behind, and considering she's writing and INTERESTED right now, she's definitely not going to be behind in a couple of years when she starts K.
February 12th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wanted to add that I found this article Preparing for Pre-K that talks about what the GA Pre-K END goals are, and this is basically where you should be aiming for the end of NEXT school year, but remember that kids are at all different levels of ability and readiness at this age, so don't panic if she isn't hitting everything, but it really isn't much to be 'able' to do, and I'm betting she already does at least half of it.

School Readiness Goals of the Pre-K Program

Language and Literacy
* Understand and tell stories
* Recognize pictures, words, and stories
* Recognize ABCs
* Understand that writing is communication

Math Concepts
* Count and sort objects into groups (this is probably no more than counting to 10)
* Recognize shapes
* Make comparisons of size, shape, length, and weight

Science
* Explore the natural environment
* Observe seasonal changes
* Communicate observations
* Use tools to measure

Arts
* Express ideas and thoughts in creative ways
* Paint, draw, and sculpt
* Listen to music and sing songs
* Recognize colors

Physical Development
* Move with balance and coordination
* Participate in indoor and outdoor physical activity
* Use writing tools, puzzles, scissors, blocks, clay, and computers

Social Competence
* Play and work cooperatively
* Follow classroom (or house!) rules
* Interact positively with other children

Goals for Parents
* Actively participate in your child's education
* Understand the correlation between home environment and school success
* Be aware of available community resources

Last edited by hiskid1324; February 12th, 2010 at 04:55 AM.
February 13th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. I guess it's just that bureaucratese that's so intimidating. I went over the math standard with DH and some of it made more sense, although some of them I didn't even know what they were asking. I mean it didn't make sense. But I'll likely be getting a math package when she does start 1st grade, and that will likely be comprehensive. And yes, she does do at least half of those. The big shock was because I was under the impression that the public school standards were really low, yet the standards are loftily worded, making it sound like so much more than what it is. I guess I just need to learn how to interpret it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search