Tell me about dyslexia

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I am wondering if Whitney has it. From what I am reading on the symptoms of it, that totally sounds like her. That would explain a lot of her reading/spelling and math issues!
February 15th, 2010, 07:33 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We were told last week that Ben probably has a little, too (although I'm not completely convinced). We'll cross that road in about 18 mos. In the mean time, the website we were given was Dyslexia the Gift. Information and Resources for Dyslexia.
February 16th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What exactly are you wanting to know? My mother works with dyslexic children all the time, and my sister is severely dyslexic...

The very best help for dyslexic kids is really intensive phonics and some hands on stuff that helps them remember and process in a slightly different way from 'normal' people. My mother uses the Orton-Gillingham method with her tutoring kids, which is a difficult program to get your hands on (and has a major learning curve), but she's a really big fan of Christian Liberty Press' "Adventures in Phonics" series as well...
February 17th, 2010, 03:35 AM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont have it, but I did struggle with dyscalculia (which is basically the same thing only with just numbers). I cant imagine how much harder it would have been in public school. Do as much research as you can and just try your hardest never to get frustrated at your student for 'not getting it'. depending on how severe it is-take things slow. Ive always been bad at math and always will be-but because my parents were patient and consistent in homeschooling I always made A's and B's in math subjects. It took me hours to finish one page of mathwork. If my parents werent patient with me I think I would have just given up.
February 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hello:

I am dyslexic and hyperlexic. Simplistically, dyslexia means someone who doesn't read words, sound out words and has a limited vocabularly. Hyplerlexia is an extension of dyslexia. It means that the person may have a small amount of dyslexia but doesn't comprehend what they read. And, the reason comes from the fact that the person does not image while they read.
I did not discover I am dyslexic until age 45. I was 65 when I found I am also hyperlexic.
If your child has learning challenges, I urge you to ask questions that relate to both dyslexia and hyperlexia.
All the best
Ann Farris
February 24th, 2010, 02:14 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I have contacted the head of our homeschooling group to find out about getting her tested and what we should do. She was a teacher herself before having kids and now she homeschools 3, with 1 just graduating. Her husband is pediatrician in the office that we go to, so they will really be able to point me who to go to in the area.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search