Thoughts on singapore math?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2010, 11:06 AM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
Please share.. what about it do you like dislike? have you heard about it??

February 16th, 2010, 01:48 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Good and bad. It really depends on the child's learning style. It works great for some and not at all for others. Singapore is generally very good for kids who are naturally great at math. It's easy to accelerate the pace if necessary. It might be hard for kids who struggle with math, but again, some like it. You can do an assessment online to figure out where to start. It encourages mental math more than others (some are mostly hands-on math). It also has fewer practice problems than others usually do, so if you want something with plenty of practice, this isn't it. If you want something that moves quickly, this may work.
February 16th, 2010, 02:28 PM
mystimay's Avatar Queen LaClotha
Send a message via Yahoo to mystimay
Argh .. sounds good for my son, but not my DAughter. I have been getting some mixed reviews on my idea of math u see... but I need a hands on math for my 8 y/o

February 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
We use it.. My 8 year old uses MUS and Singapore my 6 year old just singapore.. we love it..
February 16th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Super Mommy
We love Singapore math. We tried MUS and several other programs but Singapore math has worked the best for our son.

My son answer:

I love singapore math!!! I love that it has kid cartoons that help you out (explain things). I love that there's catoons on the test but it doesn't help you out. (We use reviews as tests.) Singapore math tells you the answer. (The text goes step by step through how to do the math before giving questions to answer. We do this part orally.)

Last edited by Miguels mommy; February 21st, 2010 at 07:24 AM.
February 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
mater bibit
I thought there were a number of extra practice books for Singapore but they may be more of a 'taking it further' kind of thing .. I really thought there was a general extra practice kind of book though .. of course, it's been so long since I was reading up on it so .. I do recall that in the earlier grades at least the manipulatives called for were few and simple which I personally liked but I guess might not be enough hands on work for some children.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search