History Curriculum

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2010, 07:50 PM
mom2mande's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does anyone have any suggestions for 7th grade history? Right now my 6th grader is doing the LifePacs but we aren't thrilled with them. There is just so much information that in order to stay on the 30-32 week school schedule she needs to do a book every 3 weeks and there is so much information thrown at her that I don't even think I could do it. Before this we were doing My Father's World but we kind of got tired of it needed something more hands on and wanted to try something more workbook-ish. So we are just plugging away for now but will definitely be switching come fall and I am curious to see what others use and recommend. If anything we might go back to My Father's World.
February 18th, 2010, 09:03 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Have you looked at Mystery of History yet? It's applicable to all ages (there's a story followed by activities for younger, middle, and older). All siblings can learn the same material at the same time, and it's designed to be repeated in 4 year cycles. It starts at creation and goes to ... well, the 4th book isn't quite finished yet ... but it will go to modern. For now it stops at, I believe, just before the civil war. It's a curriculum you buy only once. It's reuseable and has a good resale value.
February 18th, 2010, 11:05 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I agree - we love MOH here! If you loved MFW then you'll probably like MOH too. If you feel it needs thickening up, check the back of the volume for fantastic literature suggestions. The Book Peddler has a lot of them; great Christian books!

We use those, plus utilize the study guides for the lit included with Illuminations, the language arts program by the publishers of MOH. It's a complete history, Bible, language arts schedule; mostly we use the literature and study guides from it, but there's a ton more available. Again if you liked MFW, you'd probably enjoy ILM!

But even without ILM, I think MOH is probably a great fit for you. Best wishes finding what works for your family!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
February 19th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Thank you! I am going to see if our home school bookstore carries it so I can look through it before purchasing. It looks like exactly what I am looking for. Like I said we liked MFW but I felt like I needed more hands on and even quizzes, tests and worksheets. It looks like MOH is what I am wanting. I see Amazon has it for a pretty good price also.
February 19th, 2010, 12:11 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
There's a book version and an audio version. Just want to make sure you're aware that the book version comes with everything (activities, etc.), and the audio version is JUST the text. That's it. Great for long car trips or something, but not if you're looking for hands-on stuff.
February 21st, 2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks! Yes we definitely will want the text version. I haven't been able to get to our home school bookstore to look at it (although I found out they do carry it so that is a plus!) does it have like a schedule guideline/planner to follow?
February 21st, 2010, 11:42 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
It explains it in the intro chapters, but it's really easy. It's set up by weeks, and there are three lessons each week plus a "pre-test" and an end-of-week activity of some sort - sometimes a quiz, sometimes a review game of some sort, etc. Plus the map work and timeline stuff that it gives suggestions for; they suggest doing that stuff on the fourth day, but like I said we do it along with the corresponding lesson and just have history on 3 days a week instead. (The fourth day we do geography - modern stuff because my ds wants to, and the fifth day we take off for co-op.)

Anyway. I'm glad you like it! It's one of our favorite subjects. We're taking our happy time through the ancients, thoroughly enjoying entwining the Biblical history with it. In fact, I've about decided that we're just going to take 2 years to do all of the histories the first go-round instead of hitting it for a year and then coming back to it 4 years later. Because we can, and we're loving taking our time with this one. (And the middle ages includes the history of the church, after the death and resurrection of Christ. How exciting!!)

Okay, I'll shush. This is one subject I never enjoyed in school, but am having a BLAST learning alongside my children BECAUSE of this curriculum. I made my parents let me watch the King Tut special on tonight - they've just done testing and learned all sorts of new things about him they weren't sure about before! And, guess what? Ms. Hobar, the MOH author, was right!! WOOT!!

Okay, shushing for real now. I'm glad you like it! Let me know how you feel once you've had it in your hands!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search