What hours do you keep?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2010, 09:11 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Do you have a certain time of day blocked for school, or is it dependent on your schedule?

How long does a typical school day last (for one or all kids)?
February 24th, 2010, 10:33 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Well, I suppose I'll talk about our "usual" schedule, and not what's actually taken place in the past 4-6 months.

My husband works nights, so we're all totally "off" when it comes to schedule. We stay up way late - you should see the look on peoples' faces when my 6yo tells them his bedtime is midnight - and sleep late. If my kids were up at 8am my husband would never get any sleep. It works for us.

We get up between 10am and noon, earlier if we have an activity to attend, but not really a set time. Very relaxed in general.

We eat a bite, and I check email. Then we do a quick 5 or 2-minute pick up and get started with school. My oldest does his solo work first, and I work with my 6yo. (I'm hoping to start workboxes after we move, and this will help my 5yo stay occupied during this time. It's been a bit of an issue.) When 6yo is done - which is very often dependent on him, as I keep going as long as he can tolerate it because some days that's not long at all - then I work with my 5yo.

When all of that is done, we all take a break and usually eat what we call lunch. That's around 1-2pm, and afterward I have time to work with my oldest on anything he needs my help doing. That usually includes a little bit of oral English (if we didn't get to it before), History, read-aloud, and if he has any questions on any of his other work.

Around 4pm we are finished and they go outside and I get my "me" time on the computer. I'm thinking of changing it so that this is my "God" time since I don't really get that time in the morning. This is the quiet part of my day, assuming it's warm enough for the kids to go outside, and I'm looking forward to making it a priority this year.

Now, as I mentioned in the beginning, this hasn't been the reality over the last couple of months. Our fall semester was crash-and-burn through no one's fault but my own. I over scheduled our activities and so nothing got done at home, and then we got burnt out on trying to go to everything all the time and weren't getting that done either. Honestly, I think we kind of needed a break and I'm looking forward to a fresh start with our upcoming move.

I'll enjoy reading everyone's schedules, and I'll probably want to chat a lot about it after we get moved! I'm interested to see if anyone else here uses the workbox system or any semblance of it.

Great thread!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
February 26th, 2010, 04:25 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
For us when we do lessons depends on the day. I am up at 6 because of my oldest being in school.. my little ones start waking anytime after 7am but have been known to sleep til 8 or 9..

There are days we are working on lessons by 8am and days we don';t get to them till 1pm and even days we do night school.

In theory I'd have a nice outlined schedule we would stick to..but that's just not how our life moves. My kids are very active in "extra" activities from karate to dance to wrestling to swim plus playdates with all their public schooled friends...trying to have a set regime just doesn't work for us.

I also tend to be pretty relaxed with lessons.. lots and lots of life learning.. i am rigid on the 3R's but that's about it.. the rest we hit upon or learn as we live..since the kids scored 96% on their CAT tests mid year I am not worried about if we're doing enough..they can read, write and do math..the rest falls into place!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search