Am I going to fast?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Veteran
Try to understand this. I will try to explain it to the best of my ability.

A child begins to learn how to skip count by kindergarden. So if they learn how to skip count 2-11 atleast half of it, should I wait to tech them time-tables in the 3rd grade like the book do?
SKIP COUNTING IS MULTIPLCATION.
So if they learn it in kindergarden why can't they multiply in 1st grade. Why wait a whole 3 years to multiply. If you can skip count in kinder you can multily in 1st grade. Atleast more toward the end of the school year like March. IS THAT TOOO FAST???

In 1st grade they start teaching kids single digit addition/subtraction. Then by 2nd grade then begin to learn 2 and 3 digits. It you learned single digit add/sub in 1st then you can learn 2 and 3 digit in the 1st grade also. Your doing the same steps just more numbers.

If my child know how to multiply/divide the long way in 3rd grade can't they multiply/divide with decimal because all they are really doing is counting spaces. I'm quite sure they can move a decimal 2 or 3 spaces and put the decimal at the top and then multiply/divide as normal. They start teaching kids to multiply/divide by decimal by the 6 grade. Why do I have to wait a whole 3 more years just just for my kids to count spaces?

Some people may think this is crazy. But I need to know this.

Am I'm going TOOOOO fast???
March 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Multiplication is often a more abstract concept for children that simply skip counting. There are programs that start to teach multiplication early though. For example ABeka's first grade finishes out by teaching 'doubling' (and presenting some 2x's equations written out).

There is no reason you can't teach multiplication along side skip counting, and in fact I know it IS taught at the same time in at least some schools in Ireland, so probably in other places as well-- I helped a couple of kids in math who moved from Ireland to Canada a few years back, and discovered they knew their 1-5 tables forward and backward, having learned skip counting and multiplication at the same time for the three years prior. It's just a matter of how you choose to approach things with your child(ren)
March 4th, 2010, 08:08 PM
mater bibit
Umm .. I'm no expert (just to clarify ) but .. why not let your child's ability and interest guide the speed of their progress rather than a textbook?

I would judge "too fast" as expecting the child to get something that they just aren't ready to grasp and only your child can ultimately tell you that (in one way or other). My approach is, if they've got something mastered, try to take it further and see how the child takes to it.

*shrug* The thing I love about the idea of homeschooling is being at liberty to break free of the public school grade system. I don't have to follow the pace of a curriculum - I can follow the pace of my child, and each child at their own pace.
March 4th, 2010, 10:43 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I teach whatever he wants to learn. Period. I don't care what the book says to do. He's already learning multiplication ... in fact, he was better at multiplication than addition until we started R&S.

Just so you know, Abeka DOES teach 2-3 digit addition in 1st grade, and Horizons teaches 2-3 digit addition with carrying in 1st grade. If your book doesn't do that, so what? Teach whatever you want to. Every publisher does things their own way. Now that we've switched to R&S (which is a slower curriculum), the plan is to do 2 years of work for every 1 calendar year. It'll keep pace with Abeka and Horizons at first and then be slightly ahead before we back off to 1 year/1year. There is quite a bit in the 2-3 grade curriculum that he already knows just because of the way he thinks, what I've already taught him, and what Abeka has already taught him.

Also keep in mind that homeschoolers learn faster in general because they're getting one-on-one tutoring rather than a classroom approach.

Last edited by BensMom; March 4th, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
March 6th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Regular
I believe Singapore Math teached multiplication from the get-go, but correct me if I'm wrong. I am looking at level 1B right now and there is some multiplication and division in it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search