Welcome crstarlette!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2010, 01:51 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome to JM. Please introduce yourself. We'd like to get to know you better. How many kids do you have? What grades? What curricula?
March 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Regular
3 boys, preschool, kindergarten, 2nd grade. We used to do a lot of mom invented stuff, but I recently threw my hands up and decided I didn't have time to create all our materials etc. so we have just started with curriculum.

Things we are using - Sing Spell Read and Write, Saxon Math, History Odyssey, Noeo biology 1, Moving Beyond the Page literature units, All About Spelling, Handwriting Without Tears pre-k materials, Writing With Ease, Grammar with a Giggle.... I go back and forth with my feelings about SSRW and Saxon (though those are the two things we have been using for years), but the rest we are really enjoying so far.
March 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
SSRW - on my wish list for ages (hoping grandparents would buy it ), but never used it.
Saxon - Great curriculum, but we won't be using it until high school (or maybe middle school)
Hist Odyssey - never heard of it
Noeo - wonderful! I only wish we could afford it. I like Apologia, though.
MBP - I heard about that a few months ago but haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. Good reviews.
AAS - was *this* close to buying it, but decided on sequential spelling instead
HWT - we're using that as well... it's also what Ben's therapy office uses
WWE and G w/ a G - haven't heard of those either

I've got two boys... one is learning letter identification and counting from 11 to 20. The other is starting 2nd-ish grade (depending on the subject).
March 7th, 2010, 05:04 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome!!! I have never heard of GWG either. What can you tell us about that one. I need a fun, engaging grammer curric.
March 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Regular
History Odyssey is from Pandia Press It's kind of like Noeo in that they don't really write anything themselves, they just tell you what to read and do when. There are also some reproducible maps that come with it and it will sometimes say to draw a picture or look up the definition of a word and write it.

WWE is the writing program that the author of The Well Trained Mind wrote. I personally wouldn't use it alone, at least not with my two older children, but I like it as a part of a writing curriculum, and wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be enough on its own for my youngest.

Grammar with a Giggle was written for public school teachers, so I think that's why a lot of homeschoolers haven't heard of it. We are using the second grade book with my oldest and he really likes it. For Grammar with a Giggle your child has a notebook and you start out by reading a few paragraphs of a story to the child. It doesn't say to do this, but I photocopied those paragraphs and put them in the front of my son's notebook. Each day you write one or two more sentences of the story on a piece of paper, but those sentences have errors. Your child corrects the sentences and writes them in his/her notebook. In the end they have the whole story. The book is not consumable. My son really likes this.

Last edited by crstarlette; March 8th, 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search