Intro/Questions

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have an 20m old DS and a 2m old DD whom I eventually hope to homeschool. Some of my concerns are:

a.) I am also a WAHM, will I have enough time to do both? How much time do you spend homeschooling your kids?

b.) It's not easy for me to make friends, and I'm a little socially awkward sometimes but I do want to get out with lots of other homeschoolers to activities etc. I'm concerned about my being shy taking away from my kids' homeschool experience

c.) I wasn't the greatest student. I don't have a post secondary education and while I do believe I'm perfectly intelligent, I'm a little insecure about teaching because of it.

Can anyone offer any adivce... perhaps a couple of books I could pick up?

How do I know if homeschooling is 'right' for me?

Sorry if these are silly or annoying questions - just my first thoughts in this whole consideration process!

March 6th, 2010, 08:00 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
They're not silly or annoying. Unless you come from a homeschool background, pretty much everyone goes through a period of "is this the right choice?".

How long does it take? Depends on the child, the grade level, etc. Starting out, it takes no more than about 30 minutes per day. Most states (the ones that have guidelines anyway) specify that you should spend 4 hours, but that doesn't mean you're actually teaching for 4 hours. It could be games, individual work (like writing/penmanship, reading a book, or working on the computer), or even things like field trips. Whether or not you can do it while WAH also depends on the type of job you have. I worked 50 hour weeks from home for a few years. It would've been impossible for me to keep up with homeschooling back then, but working part time at the job I had would've been a breeze (theoretically). My job was one that came in waves, and I could never predict when I'd be up until 3 a.m. working on a rush project for a stupid client who couldn't get their act together. Thankfully dh got a better job and allowed me to quit. If necessary, though, I'd go back to doing it in a heartbeat, and we'd still homeschool around it.

Will being shy take away from your kids' experience? Only if you let it. Online, I'm a confident take-charge type. In real life, I'm painfully shy!!! I absolutely HATE meeting new people. HATE it. I do it, though. ... and you know what? It's usually not all that bad.

Will you be able to teach? Yes. Even if you have to go word-for-word with what a teachers' manual says, or if you have to depend on a co-op or tutor for certain subjects, you can make it work. The more you do it, the easier it gets. The answers you thought were long gone come rushing back to you when you skim through your child's books. I have a teaching degree, but I guarantee it didn't prepare me for homeschooling. All a teaching degree really prepares you for (except your area of emphasis... mine was music and science) is classroom management, administrative tasks, and things like that. Otherwise, you take all the same classes that all of the other majors have to take, and you end up forgetting anything that isn't relevant to your field.
March 7th, 2010, 01:15 PM
KeriMomof2's Avatar Veteran
a.) I am also a WAHM, will I have enough time to do both? How much time do you spend homeschooling your kids?Yes you will have time...I am a sahm but i also have a job that i do part time ...depends on age and what you plan on doing..We do a Online Program Time4Learning My son is 3 and we probally spend 1 hour 3 days a week and my daughter is 8 and we spend 1-2 hours 3 times a week.
b.) It's not easy for me to make friends, and I'm a little socially awkward sometimes but I do want to get out with lots of other homeschoolers to activities etc. I'm concerned about my being shy taking away from my kids' homeschool experience
I am the same way to a point..All i can say is just try..i mean sometimes i take my kids to a group and wont talk 2 words the whole time and other groups im a chatter box..but i think its for them not me

c.) I wasn't the greatest student. I don't have a post secondary education and while I do believe I'm perfectly intelligent, I'm a little insecure about teaching because of it.
I only have a GED and i am not worried..especially early on..later if you run in to problems there will be options need be..friends,tutors ect..try not to worry about things yet

Read more: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...#ixzz0hWkxWjwX (Intro/Questions)
*Keri*I am a Co-sleeping ...Retired-EBF'er "8+years total"...No-circumcision... Non-Vaxing...Home-schooling/Road-schooling ~> College Student Momma, Who loves Blogging<~click to View O' and did I mention I am now a Avon Sales Rep ? www.youravon.com/Keri
March 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
You can be a WAHM and do this. I am a WAHM too and it is not always easy, but it is doable. Right now we do school in the morning and then I have the afternoon to do my work. You just have to be able to prioritize yourself, which I need to work at a bit more.
March 7th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the replies. My business doesn't demand too much of my time, maybe an hour or 2 a day if I have something to do (I'm a Travel Agent) but I don't always have clients so I can go days without having to 'work'. I should be able to do both by the sounds of it.

March 10th, 2010, 12:09 PM
janetathome's Avatar Member
Location: Blessed to live on the beautiful California central coast
You will also find that a schedule works the best for us work at home moms.
I also have taught mine that when the office door is closed, means mom can't talk right now. Yours are real young, but when they are older have them slip a note under the door if they really need you. But the schedule of what times you do what really is what works the best for me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search